Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
Lot's of people love hatin' on Ullrich, even more so now that the human lightning rod Armstrong isn't racing.

If Ullrich's minimum means he can still podium and even win the TdF, what does that say for Julich? Doesn't try hard enough or doesn't have the talent?

G

·
For crying out loud, Ulle supposedly worked real hard this winter on his form and got messed up this spring due to an injury. CSC is just playing mind games. This kind of stuff from Riis and Julich doesn't exactly endear me to CSC :(

· Back from the dead
20,800 Posts
sploush said:
"He doesn't love what he does .... He does the minimum to obtain the maximum," Julich said of the German. "Ivan does the maximum to obtain the maximum. He lives for the bike, he loves the bike."

I heard this so many times now, I am actually rooting for Ullrich now to win the tour and put an end to this.
Why would Ullrich winning change what Julich thinks? Julich didn't say he was a loser, just that he doesn't think Ullrich loves his job like Basso does. Julich has raced with Ullrich for years, plus they were on the same team together. I'm sure Julich's opinion is based on experience none of us spectators have.

· Cat 6
4,696 Posts
Laurent Fignewton said:
The single reason that won me over as an Ullrich fan 2 years ago was the fact that while everybody & his brother dumps on Ullrich, Ullrich never, ever responds in kind. He never has a bad word about anybody. Talk about grace...
x2

Julich should just stfu and get water bottles...

· your text here
13,203 Posts
i dont know bobby j personally or anything, but this seems outta character for him. csc seems to be taking the opposite approach of lance's mind games. the past few years all we heard was, "im so outta shape and jan is looking really strong."

talk about waking the beast...i hope jan destroys them all.

· Burning Fists of Love
6,899 Posts
hmmmmm

weltyed said:
i dont know bobby j personally or anything, but this seems outta character for him. csc seems to be taking the opposite approach of lance's mind games. the past few years all we heard was, "im so outta shape and jan is looking really strong."

I agree, but Jullich also comes across a sour grapes here. Der Jan is the man this year I believe. Of course, we have yet to see the German Excuse making dyname ctrank on as has been the case for the last few TDFs.

Maybe if Bobby could take that laser keen insight into his performances, we would not hear a peep......Just a thought.

· It's in the game!
2,060 Posts
CSC using different strategy than Disco

Disco always said that Jan was a contender, that he was strong, and I think that played on Jan to be passive. Now CSC is different and it seems they are trying to piss Jan off and they are gonna regret it too, because it's gonna put some fight into him.

· Registered
1,808 Posts
Laurent Fignewton said:
The single reason that won me over as an Ullrich fan 2 years ago was the fact that while everybody & his brother dumps on Ullrich, Ullrich never, ever responds in kind. He never has a bad word about anybody. Talk about grace...
Terrific point. It'd be nice if all the people complaining that Ullrich was a loser because he hasn't fulfilled his potential (which I don't agee with) took note of what a decent human being he is.

· your text here
13,203 Posts
could this all be an effort...

...to get jan to blow his own legs off too early? theses pointed jabs from csc are strange. they say jan is nothing to be scared of. if thats true, why does the csc camp seem to be taking so many shots at him? and they seem to be coming from former teammates, no?

i think they know jan might take offense to this and try to open a huge lead early on to "show everyone his form," only to be cooked when they hit the alps.

i say keep the trash talk on the tarmac. that way those of us who use this forum as a soap opera can just speculate what they say. like basso selling stage wins, giving no gifts, or the slap to the lower back in disgust at the line like in the TdS.

· Registered
139 Posts
sploush said:
I heard this so many times now, I am actually rooting for Ullrich now to win the tour and put an end to this.
I agree. CSC is good but they too fell second place behind LA. Ullrich has yet to say a cross word about anyone and now the entire team is attacking him. I hope he performs well and wins.

· Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
mohair_chair said:
Why would Ullrich winning change what Julich thinks? Julich didn't say he was a loser, just that he doesn't think Ullrich loves his job like Basso does. Julich has raced with Ullrich for years, plus they were on the same team together. I'm sure Julich's opinion is based on experience none of us spectators have.
agree...I don't think Jan has the passion for cycling that some have. Seems he'd rather be partying with a bunch of blondes at the local disco.

· Registered
6,422 Posts
I know...

weltyed said:

OK, I don't know Bobby J, but an old teammate of mine who came up racing juniors against him, Hincapie, and a ton of other guys that are big in US cycling these days tells me that Bobby was the whiniest cry baby out there on the junior and U23 circuit. Hands dowwn the worst. He always thought he should be winning, and everyone should basically get out of his way, which wasn't the case.

An example... One year at nationals, the race got pared down to Julich, Jonas Carney, and a few other notables, my friends made the split. Julich started petitioning everyone else in the group that "he" should win this race, and that essentially everyone should just give it to him. This was about 20 miles from the finish, where just about anything can happen. Of course, all conspired against Julich, and they rode against him, dropped him, and he basically gave up and started whining and complained about it the rest of the day.

Anywho.. Jan is my main pick for the win this year. It's funny how people discount him, because he's only won le Tour once, and finished 2nd a bunch of times, and has finished the Tour no lower than 4th. Ever. The man has a great record at the Tour, and can win again, like this year.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.