Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone notice the huge hump (his Camelbak) on his back when he was walking around after his crash? I wonder if that changed his center of gravity and caused him to topple over like he did.

·
pass the hot sauce
197 Posts
whit417 said:
Did anyone notice the huge hump (his Camelbak) on his back when he was walking around after his crash? I wonder if that changed his center of gravity and caused him to topple over like he did.
He just came into that roundabout waaaay too hot and couldn't correct his line. In an interview I saw from his hospital bed he was bemoaning the fact that he didn't get a chance to ride that part of the course "at speed".

·
Cat 6
4,696 Posts
mquetel said:
He just came into that roundabout waaaay too hot and couldn't correct his line. In an interview I saw from his hospital bed he was bemoaning the fact that he didn't get a chance to ride that part of the course "at speed".
He's a massive cry baby....from his ESPN blog...maybe no AC caused him to dump it.

"One thing that isn't great for the morale -- Tour travel and hotels.

All of us are pretty simple people. We just want a room where we can lay down and be comfortable. We're not spending a lot of time in the rooms, anyway. But, I have to admit, after over 200 kilometers on the bike during Stage 4 and another 100 kilometers on the transfer and another 60 kilometers in the morning to the starting point, I was taken aback at our hotel. No air conditioning, not great air ventilation, and I was put in a smoker's room. Situations like this are a big reason a lot of teams, like ours, bring their own chefs to ensure we all are eating the right foods. Some hotels don't cook healthfully.

It's one of the things that gets me about the Tour. After all the work and travel, you would think Tour organizers, who buy the hotel space for teams, would find us a better room. Obviously, there are financial considerations and I've seen improvements after riding in nine Tours. But when you're at a nicer hotel, or in more comfortable conditions, it helps your overall morale.

Tuesday night, it was so hot in our hotel rooms, I almost wanted to take my mattress and sleep outside on the lawn! You can't sleep for more than 2 to 3 hours at a time without wanting to take an ice cold shower to bring your body temp down. You're sweating all day on the bike, you don't want to sweat all night in your room. It's uncomfortable. I think a little concession could be made.

Again, it's a working man's sport. We're not staying at five-star resorts or country clubs. It's another one of the sacrifices we make to be here at the Tour."

·
pass the hot sauce
197 Posts
chuckice said:
He's a massive cry baby....from his ESPN blog...maybe no AC caused him to dump it.
Cry baby?

I don't think anyone here has any clue the amount of commitment, discipline and sacrifice needed to perform at the level the he and the other tour riders are at. A comfortable place to sleep is not that much to ask on their little bike ride around France.

·
Cat 6
4,696 Posts
mquetel said:
Cry baby?

I don't think anyone here has any clue the amount of commitment, discipline and sacrifice needed to perform at the level the he and the other tour riders are at. A comfortable place to sleep is not that much to ask on their little bike ride around France.
And he needs to whine about it in a blog?! Gimme a break...ever hear Floyd whine about his "suffering"? Julich is always whining about something.

·
I'm wearing 4" stilettos
205 Posts
whit417 said:

Perhaps Camelbak should issue a recall due to "high instances of roll-over accidents" :idea:

Didn't you hear? It was the "gravel" in the road that brought Julich down, not the wide-ass turn he made. All I have to say to Julich is SUCK IT UP! So what if you have a few bones and tendons hanging out, it's just a hand, get on your bike and ride!!! Floyd's riding with a hip that feels like "grinding your bare feet into hot broken glass and jagged shards of metal.’’ (quote from NY times article). Be a man Bobby, be a man! :17:

(the preceding post was an attempt at sarcastic humor and it in no way reflects the views of this forum or its advertisers, we now return to our regularly scheduled programming)

·
Cat 6
4,696 Posts
mquetel said:
I find it less bothersome than your incessant bashing of it here...
And yet he whines...you even said it yourself...he was whining that he didn't get to ride the course at speed. As opposed to Floyd who basically said "crap happens" after his bars broke and instead of complaining about it, simply said "I got beat".

·
Banned
86 Posts
chuckice said:
He's a massive cry baby
It appears you have spent no time around professional bike racers. I have...too much time in fact. They seldom speak and when they do it is usually to complain about something. If the 200 guys on the tour wrote a blog 190 would contain nothing but complaints about bad hotels, food, spectators, suffering....the other 10 could not write a blog because they can't read or write, as they never went to school

Here are some real nicknames of procyclists that you will not hear at a press conference, try to guess who they belong to

"Whine"
"Snappy"
"Crybaby"

·
Former Roadbikereview Editor
Steelman Eurocross bike
3,151 Posts
chuckice said:

"One thing that isn't great for the morale -- Tour travel and hotels.
Wow a whole essay on why I want AC. That is drama queen material indeed. In france, there is very little AC and these hot days is hard on the TDF. It's ok to mention it in a blog... but a whole page??

About that fall, it was a Cat 5 move for sure. It wasn't even close. Doesn't seem like any of the other riders had any problems.

It really seems like Julich fell asleep at the wheel thinking about his AC.

fc

·
Registered
302 Posts
Diver?

whit417 said:

Maybe he's after a gig with the Italian soccer team?

·
your text here
13,203 Posts
levi had trouble

francois said:
About that fall, it was a Cat 5 move for sure. It wasn't even close. Doesn't seem like any of the other riders had any problems.

It really seems like Julich fell asleep at the wheel thinking about his AC.

fc
i think i saw levi's rear wheel fishtail at that corner, too. and we kno he wasnt goin fast. bobby j was just too hot into that corner. reminds me of that picture from the "caption this thread" two weeks ago.

http://velonews.com/galleries/contest39a/OBRA-TTT-Sliding - By Tim Ehlers.html

·
Not Banned
49,249 Posts
doesn't 'non-smoking'

hotel room in France mean the last occupant didn't smoke? It's France, no AC and cigarettes is that anything new? I'm suprised with those nice buses they don't build one as a 'sleeper' like a Tour bus. That way if the room sux you could sleep in the smole free AC fed bus.

·
Registered
192 Posts
mquetel said:
Anyone know if he did get a chance to pre-ride the course at all? I was under the impression CSC didn't do a recon ride.

·
Cat 6
4,696 Posts
atpjunkie said:
hotel room in France mean the last occupant didn't smoke? It's France, no AC and cigarettes is that anything new? I'm suprised with those nice buses they don't build one as a 'sleeper' like a Tour bus. That way if the room sux you could sleep in the smole free AC fed bus.
I obviously haven't logged anywhere near the miles as Julich in Europe...however 4 years in France for 1 month at a time each during the summer and the ONLY time I got AC was in Paris. It doesn't bother me...it's just what it is. So my point is simply as a senior pro racer and tour vet how could you possibly be shocked enough/upset enough by this to let it bother you to the point that you need to write/whine about it in a blog? Simple...you're a whiner.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
chuckice said:
I obviously haven't logged anywhere near the miles as Julich in Europe...however 4 years in France for 1 month at a time each during the summer and the ONLY time I got AC was in Paris. It doesn't bother me...it's just what it is. So my point is simply as a senior pro racer and tour vet how could you possibly be shocked enough/upset enough by this to let it bother you to the point that you need to write/whine about it in a blog? Simple...you're a whiner.
Whining about a whiner? How disgusting is THAT? :)

·
Burning Fists of Love
6,899 Posts
boo hoo

The man had an exposed wrist fracture. What do you want. HEY, lets race anyway, not even podium and get a freaky infection with a poorly healed wrist. Hey, give me some of that......

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.