Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Assume there are no "A" races between now and cross season. What to focus on in July? Any crazy workouts to try? Or just mileage? How much running? What split between road and off-road riding? Weightlifting? Plyometrics? Tabata? Yoga? Pilates? Disc rotor sniffing?

· Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll kick off with a theoretical training week for July:

M swim (easy 30min)
T rollers (muscular endurance)
W cross-train (run with pushups, situps, pullups, etc)
T group ride (competitive)
F run with hill repeats
S group ride (longer, less competitive than Th)
S mountain bike (ride as you feel)

Two very tough cycling workouts, two longer less intense rides on the weekends, and non-bike stuff to round it out.

· raging results nerd
925 Posts
pretender said:
I'll kick off with a theoretical training week for July:

M swim (easy 30min)
T rollers (muscular endurance)
W cross-train (run with pushups, situps, pullups, etc)
T group ride (competitive)
F run with hill repeats
S group ride (longer, less competitive than Th)
S mountain bike (ride as you feel)

Two very tough cycling workouts, two longer less intense rides on the weekends, and non-bike stuff to round it out.
Are you seriously riding rollers in July and having zero days off per week? I'm not down with either of those, but then again, I don't know jack.

· Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
colinr said:
Are you seriously riding rollers in July and having zero days off per week?
Yes and no. Monday swim is essentially nothing, I swim really easy then soak in the jacuzzi. The rollers, I feel like it's sort of "remedial cycle fitness" for me, it's the one day of structured riding, I even wear an HRM and pretend I'm a real cyclist. IMO those muscular endurance workouts yield very substantial fitness.

· Registered
269 Posts
July Training

Monday-Gin and Tonics
Tuesday-Mojitos
Wednesday-Sessions Lager
Thursday-Martinis
Friday-A glass of wine with dinner, the rest of the bottle with desert
Saturday-All of the above
Sunday-All of the above

Sometimes I'll throw in a little bit of medicinal scotch if my health call for it.

· Registered
1,194 Posts
Crank-a-Roo said:
Training in July means lots of cross training:

T 1 hour of Dragon Boating
S a night of dancing
S 1.5 hour of dragon boating
What is this dragon boat that you speak of? Dancing? WTF?

That all actually sounds pretty fun, I could use a bit of dancing. I went for a hike yesterday for maybe an hour and a half and my legs are killing me right now. Dancing would probably lay me out.

My summer has consisted of lots of crit racing ( a dozen races since mid april). I'll be racing for at least another couple weekends, then take a "break" where I go back to long base miles and less intensity for a couple weeks and then back to lots of crits to get the speed back and then straight into cx season. I'll start walking and running a bit in the weeks leading up to the first races.

I've been having a blast at the crits, I've never really gotten into racing them before and always got freaked out on the last laps. This year I'm on a team with some really fast finishers so I'm mostly working hard to keep the race together and ride the front. I've been able to get into the final sprint here and there, I was 4th at a well attended race a couple weeks ago. Crits seem like perfect preparation for cross, so many hard accellerations.

· Game on, b*tches!
13,528 Posts
I don't know jack (and he don't know me)

But late June/July I have just been riding; some hard group rides (faster than a cat 5 race), some fairly high intensity rides with climbs, and some real easy rides with my kids. I trained hard in the spring (school is in-kids aren't home) with intervals and some plyo. I'll do some crits in mid-july and august and then start training hard w/ intervals and cross-specific rides and plyo again, including hill repeats.

· Registered
124 Posts
just moved...

so I've just been using my bike for running errands, running to the bank, changing address, signing leases, things like that. I guess it's better than nothing, but it sure makes me think that I'm going to be hurting come fall :(

· Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
skinny jay said:
so I've just been using my bike for running errands, running to the bank, changing address, signing leases, things like that. I guess it's better than nothing, but it sure makes me think that I'm going to be hurting come fall :(
It hurts no matter what, it's just a matter of how fast you go.

· You call that running?
262 Posts
pretender said:
IMO those muscular endurance workouts yield very substantial fitness.
So does riding your bike outside. It's July for crissakes! It's light until 9:15 PM! Do you not live close to any roads that are suitable for muscular endurance intervals? I know that I can push a lot harder on the road than on the rollers but I'll admit I don't ride my rollers much.

As for my training I'm doing my last two criteriums of the summer this weekend and next. After that I'll take a week off and start building up for cross. I haven't worked out my plan yet because road racing isn't over for me yet and seattlecyclocross.com doesn't have their 2008 schedule up yet (get on the ball fellas!). Either way by the end of this month I'll be doing aerobic intervals on the bike and slowly phasing in some running.

It's officially 8 weeks until cyclocross this coming Monday!

· Registered
475 Posts
I've been trail running. I've been doing the cougar Mt trail running series, 5mile may, 7.6 miles june, ten miles next weekend, and a 13mile in august, hard technical trails, 13mile record/ last year winner was 1:46, so course dictates much of the time. I did the 30k bridle trail run last weekend , less technical then cougar mt, but streching my mileage, longest run in training was about 15miles. I'll be getting back on the bike some time soon and should probably try some track workouts running to get my shorter distance speed up as well. I find running to be a good training with less time spent-more workout in less time.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.