Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Parlee fan!
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
HI!

Last summer, I took a shot at Ti and got my Merlin Cyrene. For months, I couldn't decide what group to put on this frameset. After much deliberation, I decided on the new Campy Chorus 11 speed. Sadly, I have not ridden the bike on its new groupset just yet. Hopefully, I'll be able to do just that next weekend.

After calibrating the 'new' stuff, I found that being a long time campy rider, the most significant change with 11spd is the shorter throws when shifting the paddles. I thought it was going to be the new designed ergos but I'll have to wait until I go for a ride to really test and get the feel. :)

I've been getting comments from fellow riders to give BROOKS saddles a try for the Merlin. I'm not entrely sold on the idea yet.... entertaining the thought but, I guess I'll think about it more.

Anyway, here's the traditional, post build crappy indoor shots. Enjoy!

Joe

·
road bike resurrector
302 Posts
That Guercotti in the background gave me a boner. :thumbsup:

·
Parlee fan!
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Facinating

holy cromoly said:
I noticed that Guerciotti cross bike too.

Of all the bikes I've posted on this forum thoughout my 4.5 year tenure, it's that bike that got the most response.. very interesting...

Joe

·
Blah, Blah, Blah
598 Posts
Very nice bike. I promised myself when I turn 40 (4 more years) that I was going to retire from racing and get a Ti bike. I am leaning towards that very frame or a litespeed Icon. 4 years from now though there will probably be something else tickling my fancy.

·
You Phillip mah census
4,665 Posts
capt_phun said:
you don't need that much electrical tape to hold down the cables.
You sound like the kind of guy who counts the number of sheets of toilet paper he uses at each 'event'. It's his bike and his tape, live a little...

Beautiful bike by the way.

·
Looking for my Amish Love
907 Posts
sir duke said:
You sound like the kind of guy who counts the number of sheets of toilet paper he uses at each 'event'. It's his bike and his tape, live a little...
Yep 4 sheets per wipe.

Just pointing out that its unnecessary to use that much tape. One little wrap in the bend of the bar & one little wrap were the bar tape will end is all you need to secure the cables down. The bar wrap will do the rest. Why waste an extra 10 grams in electrical tape?!

·
Parlee fan!
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Method to the Madness

capt_phun said:
Yep 4 sheets per wipe.

Just pointing out that its unnecessary to use that much tape. One little wrap in the bend of the bar & one little wrap were the bar tape will end is all you need to secure the cables down. The bar wrap will do the rest. Why waste an extra 10 grams in electrical tape?!

Is that double ply or single ply?

The reason for the electric tape is that I'd like to ride the bike a couple of times before I can commit into wrapping the bar with the Fizik tape just in case I need to adjust the ergo's position. Wrapping it this way secures the cables for 30 mile rides.

Joe

·
Parlee fan!
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks!

Thanks for the kind words guys. I can't wait to bring this out this weekend.

Joe

·
Parlee fan!
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Black cable ties are in the shopping list.

Sojourneyman said:
Looks hawt. I'd go for black cable ties...

Sweet Cyrene, I'm waiting to get mine until I can tour through Tuscany on it...

I hear you Sojo. Turns out that I ran out of black zippies. :) I should get that soon. When are you getting your Cyrene?

Joe

·
Dirty. Nerdy. Unemployed.
1,521 Posts
santosjep said:
I hear you Sojo. Turns out that I ran out of black zippies. :) I should get that soon. When are you getting your Cyrene?

Joe
haha, I forgot that people here do take cycling trips through tuscany. It's beyond my collegiate means though and I meant it as a joke. There's a local dude who I've seen riding one, I'm surprised more companies don't try their hand at engraving, gives it a classy look.

·
Parlee fan!
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
:d

Sojourneyman said:
haha, I forgot that people here do take cycling trips through tuscany. It's beyond my collegiate means though and I meant it as a joke. There's a local dude who I've seen riding one, I'm surprised more companies don't try their hand at engraving, gives it a classy look.

Got it. sarcasm and sense of humor sometimes are not well communicated via the forums :).

·
Parlee fan!
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
More pics

Ok.. I rode the bike this weekend. The weather cooperated and it was pleasant in New England with temps hitting 60 :D

What can I say? I like the new ergos... how it looks.. how it feels and definitely appreciate the new position the new ergo offers.

Anyway, here are a few more pics of the bike.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts