Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's probably a bit early to be getting up on Mt Evans, but nevertheless the road is open now so I was wondering if anyone has been up the road recently. If so, how are road conditions and was it brutally cold still? Thanks in advance for any responses.

· Registered
10,161 Posts
a little early....

One web site says to expect the temp at the summit to be 21-35 degrees colder than Idaho Springs predicted high. The warmest temperature ever recorded is only about 64 degrees. I've been up 6 times and seen 38-54. The 38 in mid August sucked.

· Registered
481 Posts
crayola said:
I got as far as Echo Lake yesterday morning, where it was a toasty 55F or so. Road perfectly fine to that point. Am planning on going 'all the way' next weekend, will report back if I make it.
I might see you. Heading up Sunday and guide some riders up. Will take picts and post them here.

· Rocket Scientist
1,009 Posts
I am game for riding up Sunday if someone wants to go. We can meet up wherever along the way. I can ride from my house in the Hilltop/Cherry Creek area to Golden/Lookout via downtown (or maybe Mt. Vernon Canyon road), then to the base of Squaw, go to Echo Lake, then to the top. Then back home. It's kind of too much to do without company so if someone is up for it, I'll do it. We can meet anywhere along the way that's convenient - although preferably not later in the ride than the base of Lookout or at the very worst, the base of Squaw. Plus I'm not really a climber so there's no real point in my doing it other than the miles and the mental challenge.

I did this a few years ago but went up High Grade then around to Evergreen, then to the base of Squaw, then to the top of Mt. E. I came down Morrison canyon from Evergreen and rode back home on the path. There was a lot of traversing that was a waste of time. Doing it via Lookout or Mt. Vernon Canyon would be a lot better.

I could probably use a long day of hills and this could be fun with some people (as long as everyone has a sense of humour, anyway).

· Rocket Scientist
1,009 Posts
Sherpa23 said:
I am game for riding up Sunday if someone wants to go. We can meet up wherever along the way. I can ride from my house in the Hilltop/Cherry Creek area to Golden/Lookout via downtown (or maybe Mt. Vernon Canyon road), then to the base of Squaw, go to Echo Lake, then to the top. Then back home. It's kind of too much to do without company so if someone is up for it, I'll do it. We can meet anywhere along the way that's convenient - although preferably not later in the ride than the base of Lookout or at the very worst, the base of Squaw. Plus I'm not really a climber so there's no real point in my doing it other than the miles and the mental challenge.

I did this a few years ago but went up High Grade then around to Evergreen, then to the base of Squaw, then to the top of Mt. E. I came down Morrison canyon from Evergreen and rode back home on the path. There was a lot of traversing that was a waste of time. Doing it via Lookout or Mt. Vernon Canyon would be a lot better.

I could probably use a long day of hills and this could be fun with some people (as long as everyone has a sense of humour, anyway).

Okay, I'm making a go of it tomorrow. I have one friend who's committed to meeting me in Golden and heading to the top of Squaw. If I can't talk him into it, I'll have to do Squaw to the top of Mt. E alone. If anyone is interested in doing this, I should be hitting the Starbucks in Golden around 8:30a and heading up Lookout.

· Registered
5 Posts
I have some afternoon commitments so will be chea^H^H^H^H starting from Idaho Springs at about 8am, and we'll see how far we get. I see there's a sprinkling of snow in the Evans overnight forecast. Dress warmly!

· Rocket Scientist
1,009 Posts
crayola said:
I have some afternoon commitments so will be chea^H^H^H^H starting from Idaho Springs at about 8am, and we'll see how far we get. I see there's a sprinkling of snow in the Evans overnight forecast. Dress warmly!
Slight change. Due to the weather, I am going to have to stash clothes somewhere so I'll be riding from my house with a backpack of warm clothes and will drop them off at someone's house along the way. Hopefully, they can meet me at the top of Squaw with them later in the day. If there's going to be snow at the top of Mt. E, the whole thing will be dicey.

Anyways, I mapped it out. It's a 145 mile round trip. A little long but if the weather's good, it should make for a fun day. I just like riding my bike.

· Rocket Scientist
1,009 Posts
Wow. It's really raining down here. The weather shows (it looks like anyway) that it's snowing at the top of both Mt. E and Squaw. We're going to have to postpone this for another Sunday.

EDIT: just got a new report and things are clearing up. I'll leave in 30 minutes and make for the top of Squaw. If the weather looks good, I'll probably go up to the top of Mt. E. The nice thing is that if the weather comes in again, or the road is closed, I can just turn around and head back.

· Rocket Scientist
1,009 Posts
6 hours and 15 minutes round trip, 125 miles. Went to the top of Squaw and a little past but decided not to go up the top half of Mt . Evans. No snow but it was clouding up badly and very, very windy and temps in the 40's. I was told it was 37 at the top of Mt. Evans. Due to the late start, I didn't want to risk it. The right decision, I think. I almost got blown off on the way down because the wind was so bad.

Anyway, I am going to try this again on a Sunday where there's no racing (or at least nothing that I can win, like another hill climb). It was pretty fun, other than the wind.

· Registered
481 Posts
Sherpa23 said:
Wow. It's really raining down here. The weather shows (it looks like anyway) that it's snowing at the top of both Mt. E and Squaw. We're going to have to postpone this for another Sunday.

EDIT: just got a new report and things are clearing up. I'll leave in 30 minutes and make for the top of Squaw. If the weather looks good, I'll probably go up to the top of Mt. E. The nice thing is that if the weather comes in again, or the road is closed, I can just turn around and head back.
I started at Evergreen-through Squaw pass and got to Echo Lake in hour and half. Paid my entry fee even though the Uncle Jesse the forest ranger warned our group of 8 riders that it was very wind beyound the tree line. We was indeed correct. At mile marker 4 we were force to turn around since the 20 mph wind was blarring right at us. One of our guys was swipe w/ side wind on the way down and got some good road rash. Squaw pass showed some great scenery!

· Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
black cross said:
Sorry to ask, but as an out of stater, Kansan, where is squaw pass? I am planning on being in the Denver area in August and would like to try Mt. Evans, and any other passes in the area.
Squaw pass is located out of Evergreen. If you do Evans from Evergreen you go over Squaw first. Evans is not a pass (highest paved road in the US I believe). It is an out and back. You can also do Evans from Idaho Springs and back. Weather can be unpredictable at any time of year at that altitude so be prepared.

· Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
John Nelson said:
And take money with you. They charge to use Mount Evans road, even for bicycles ($3 last time I was there). And there is no water at the top, so take plenty with you.
Oxygen bottle might not be a bad idea either. At 14k+ feet you will feel it.

· Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
black cross said:
What is the gearing of choice for Mt. E? I know everyone has their favorite, but coming from Kansas, I might need to get a different gear range, or bring my cross bike with a compact crank.
It's not that steep (maybe 5% average) but it's long and the altitude will get to you. Have a few extra gears for when you get tired. Pros race it with a 39x25 or even a 23.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.