Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
I heart team Zissou!
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let your comments fly...

Here's my contribution...

I like Vino... I mean <i>really</i> like the guy... but did someone forget to "feed" him his "pasta"?

and... in other news: What will the Izoard hold for the bald man from Cali? Is 35 too old to race up mountains... and will we see Menchov put the hurt on again...oh, and where is our favourite menonite? so many questions and no live video feed at work!

Philippe

·
awwww horseapples!!
416 Posts
philippec said:
Turpin -- the smallest man in the peleton pulls off a big win!

1 Ludovic Turpin (Fra) AG2R Prévoyance
2 Iban Mayo (Spa) Euskaltel-Euskadi
3 Francisco Mancebo Perez (Spa) AG2R Prévoyance
4 Pietro Caucchioli (Ita) Crédit Agricole
5 Leonardo Piepoli (Ita) Saunier Duval-Prodir
6 George Hincapie (USA) Discovery Channel Pro Cycling Team
7 Christophe Moreau (Fra) AG2R Prévoyance
8 Levi Leipheimer (USA) Gerolsteiner
9 Denis Menchov (Rus) Rabobank
10 Bernhard Kohl (Aut) T-Mobile Team

WTF, who the hell is this Iban Mayo character...

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
My two cents:

1. Just when I was ready to write Mayo off permanently after yesterday's Ventoux showing, bam, he's back to his old self climbing effortlessly -- would have won the stage if not for breakaway success of Ag2R guy.

2. Dave Z -- that dude hangs in the climbs! He could very well be a TdF winner in a few years' time.

3. Hincapie held up pretty well in the climbs.

4. Floyd Landis is really suffering on the climbs. Never would have expected that from him.

·
I heart team Zissou!
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dagger said:
but will do a test on Saturday.
OMFG! Where are the real men who race to race, not to "test" themselves for some other race! Jan in Italy and now Floyd in the Dauphine! Even Lance when racing the Dauphiné ahead of the TDF showed he had the Cojone (no "s") to race like a man -- even if he was targeting the TDF!

{rolls eyes}

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
dagger said:
He has said numerous times he is not there to race, but will do a test on Saturday.
That's code for "don't currently have the legs." It seems to get used quite often. Apparantly no one can really race for more than a couple times a year.

Oh, it was great to see Mayo actually contending. Can't wait to watch the highlights tonight.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Leipheimer still looks very, very strong. His team still looks very, very weak. If this were the TdF, could he hold up for more than a couple days of mountains without more help/protection on early climbs? His best shot next month is to stay close, hang around, stay out of yellow, let other teams work, then attack on a late stage or nail a TT.

Hincapie looked very good; at one point it looked like he was trying to storm back and win the stage.

The Menonite doesn't look very good at all. It looks like he's lost all form in the mountains. This isn't the same guy who matched Danielson on Brasstown.

Mayo was strong, but his decisive attack came on the descent, not the climb. Still good to see him climbing well again.

Turpin looked like he might have to push his bike up that last climb. But great job of hanging in there after being solo for so long on that climb.

I think something's physically wrong with Vino.

·
Registered
135 Posts
dagger said:
He has said numerous times he is not there to race, but will do a test on Saturday.
For a guy who wasn't there to race, his teammates sure were doing a lot of work for him at the base of Ventoux yesterday.

If he's not there to race, then he shouldn't be racing. He should be in the car with Basso doing recon for the Tour this week. Even Jan's effort in the Giro was stronger than Landis has been so far. You could see Jan riding himself into form. I don't see Landis riding himself into anything.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Good work!

Thanks for the intelligence! I was getting my "live update" from the Daily Peloton website,
when my computer security scan came on and I was not able to get the final update just when Turpin was almost at the top of the last hill and moron Moreau was towing a rival up the hill! Thanks again!
awesometown said:
1 Ludovic Turpin (Fra) AG2R Prévoyance
2 Iban Mayo (Spa) Euskaltel-Euskadi
3 Francisco Mancebo Perez (Spa) AG2R Prévoyance
4 Pietro Caucchioli (Ita) Crédit Agricole
5 Leonardo Piepoli (Ita) Saunier Duval-Prodir
6 George Hincapie (USA) Discovery Channel Pro Cycling Team
7 Christophe Moreau (Fra) AG2R Prévoyance
8 Levi Leipheimer (USA) Gerolsteiner
9 Denis Menchov (Rus) Rabobank
10 Bernhard Kohl (Aut) T-Mobile Team

WTF, who the hell is this Iban Mayo character...

·
imbasilical moreon
1,894 Posts
cyclodawg said:
Leipheimer still looks very, very strong. His team still looks very, very weak. If this were the TdF, could he hold up for more than a couple days of mountains without more help/protection on early climbs? His best shot next month is to stay close, hang around, stay out of yellow, let other teams work, then attack on a late stage or nail a TT.

Hincapie looked very good; at one point it looked like he was trying to storm back and win the stage.

The Menonite doesn't look very good at all. It looks like he's lost all form in the mountains. This isn't the same guy who matched Danielson on Brasstown.

Mayo was strong, but his decisive attack came on the descent, not the climb. Still good to see him climbing well again.

Turpin looked like he might have to push his bike up that last climb. But great job of hanging in there after being solo for so long on that climb.

I think something's physically wrong with Vino.
As in sick, or withdraw symptoms ?
b0nk

·
Self-Banned
16,907 Posts
Ladies, ladies, ladies...

So much for the expert opinions that GH can't hang on the climbs.

What will really happen with GH during the TDF is that he will TT well and inconsistently hang with the best on the climbs somewhat like another Columbian who won't do the Tour this year. GH will finish in the top 15 at the TDF and his father is Columbian.

Landis is ill. It's obvious. Duh... He'll make the top 5 at the TDF if he can recuperate within the next few days.

Leipheimer will make the top 10 at the TDF ...probably between 5th and 8th place.

Zabriskie will place between 15th and 12th at the TDF.

Valverde will make the top 15 at the TDF ...if he finishes.

·
Self-Banned
16,907 Posts
philippec said:
OMFG! Where are the real men who race to race, not to "test" themselves for some other race! Jan in Italy and now Floyd in the Dauphine! Even Lance when racing the Dauphiné ahead of the TDF showed he had the Cojone (no "s") to race like a man -- even if he was targeting the TDF!

{rolls eyes}
It is what it is. Welcome to the modern world.

·
Self-Banned
16,907 Posts
cyclodawg said:
For a guy who wasn't there to race, his teammates sure were doing a lot of work for him at the base of Ventoux yesterday.

If he's not there to race, then he shouldn't be racing. He should be in the car with Basso doing recon for the Tour this week. Even Jan's effort in the Giro was stronger than Landis has been so far. You could see Jan riding himself into form. I don't see Landis riding himself into anything.

It seems that he is very likely ill. ...but if he is you are right in that he shouldn't be there and should go home to recuperate so he can resume effective training ASAP.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
mquetel said:
Great win for Turpin!! It was nice to see Mayo coming alive again and what the hell was Moreau doing, pulling most of the way up the Izoard, with a teamate up the road... [email protected]
Since you don't say the same about Mancebo, is it fair to assume that Mancebo was marking Mayo rather than attacking for his own purposes?

·
Former Roadbikereview Editor
Steelman Eurocross bike
3,151 Posts
rocco said:
Ladies, ladies, ladies...

So much for the expert opinions that GH can't hang on the climbs.

What will really happen with GH during the TDF is that he will TT well and inconsistently hang with the best on the climbs somewhat like another Columbian who won't do the Tour this year. GH will finish in the top 15 at the TDF and his father is Columbian.

Landis is ill. It's obvious. Duh... He'll make the top 5 at the TDF if he can recuperate within the next few days.

Leipheimer will make the top 10 at the TDF ...probably between 5th and 8th place.

Zabriskie will place between 15th and 12th at the TDF.

Valverde will make the top 15 at the TDF ...if he finishes.

Not bad Rocco. Who is top 5 in TDF?

francois

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.