Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Every year, my wife and I travel to Bar Harbor for our anniversary.

We had mostly great weather this year, and were able to meet up with a fellow RBR contributor for a superb Sunday morning ride in one of the most beautiful parks in the country.

As soon as we arrived and checked in, we grabbed the cross bikes for a loop around eagle lake;

I built up a cross check for my gal, and this was the first real trip with it

She absolutely loved it.

The carrige roads and stone bridges are amazing..
You can read about them here https://www.acadia.net/wildwood/w95054ab.html
and here https://www.nps.gov/acad/historyculture/historiccarriageroads.htm

Built by Rockefeller and left as a gift to all

We did the park loop road on the street bikes. Typical majestic coastal grandeur;

Including the ride up to the top of cadilac...

Then, it was back for a bike change to pick up the cross bikes for the 'round the mountain' loop

Where there were more majestic stone bridges to admire

at a steady 7-8% climb, the trip up the mountain was gentle enough but still offered a workout

And an excuse...

On Sunday, we met up with SingleCross and did the loop around Day Mtn.

Which had great views of the clearing fog from the top

Here is the KML from Fridays Road and Cross Ride... Around 60 miles...

and a close up of the cadilac climb

and one more of all our rides from Google Earth;

Thanks for the meet up SingleCross!
It was a pleasure to meet you and share a great ride.
See you next time!

·
your text here
13,203 Posts
looks awesome. four bikes on a trip! my wife doesnt want us to take our bikes and teh cart on our trip to door county. if the bones held three bikes id be taking the new salsa, too.

i keep threatening my wife witha cross build for her, but she wants to keep her old steel trek 850 because its purple.

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Wow, that is some of the more beautiful country that I've seen on the board in a while. I love the summer Maine and other New England reports. Spectacular stuff.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
It was nice to have met up with you and your wife for a ride Fasteddy. Good time on a great day!

Its also neat to see the Island and the routes mapped out from your Garmin. If I PM you, would you send me the elevation profiles of the rides if they are readily available? I'd appreciate it.

If any other RBRers head up this way, PM me and I'd be happy to show you around. Fastedddy, see you again in October. Oh, and Happy Anniversary!

Singlecross

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
My absolute fave vacation spot is Maine. I've been to Acadia maybe 7-8 times. I usually spend most of my time there around Wiscassett, Boothbay, and Pemaquid Point. I also just love Monhegan Island. When I pass, my request is to have my ashes scattered there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.