Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well ive got my first race next saturday and i know i need to block off certain gears to be able to race (max of a 52x14) but i cant seem to find a gear chart to tell me what that is with a 53 big ring. If any of you know or could tell me where to find a chart the help would be much appreciated. thanks

· RoadBikeReview's Member
5,513 Posts
jains89 said:
well ive got my first race next saturday and i know i need to block off certain gears to be able to race (max of a 52x14) but i cant seem to find a gear chart to tell me what that is with a 53 big ring. If any of you know or could tell me where to find a chart the help would be much appreciated. thanks
well i have a 9spd and i have to block off the 2 biggest gears, leaving (i think) a 15. I run a 12-25 with a 53/42/30 (damn triple). the way that they test it is that they have two lines which are 26 feet apart. they stick the wheel on one line and roll backwards. if the pedals do <1 revoltuion, you're screwed. you can do this test at home on the road with a measuring tape and chalk.
-estone2

5,513 Posts
jplatzner said:
Do they let you just use the limits to adjust out the cogs you can't use? They would have never allowed that a million years ago when I was a junior.
yeap. well, i'm nt sure about nat'l/state championships. They might not let you there, but for every race ive gone to they've let you adjust teh limiting screw. it's good to email ahead in my opinion. 9/10 times it's fine to adjust. But hey, it's not that hard to send an email, and it's better than getting DQ'd.
-estone2

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for all the info. About the national championships, you are not allowed to block off gears in that race, but that is the only one where it is not allowed. All races other than that allow blocking off. Its at the bottom of pg 29 of the 2006 rulebook.

· Registered
21,832 Posts
You're screwed (sort of)

jains89 said:
I know you're a junior, but didn't you take math this year? It's just a ratio calculation: 52/14 = 53/? The answer is 14.3, but since there is no such gear, you have to block the 14. This leaves you with a top gear of 53/15, assuming your limit screw can go in that far. 52/14 is 5% higher than 53/15, so you could be needing an extra 5-7 rpm if it comes to a "top gear' sprint.

5,513 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
I know you're a junior, but didn't you take math this year? It's just a ratio calculation: 52/14 = 53/? The answer is 14.3, but since there is no such gear, you have to block the 14. This leaves you with a top gear of 53/15, assuming your limit screw can go in that far. 52/14 is 5% higher than 53/15, so you could be needing an extra 5-7 rpm if it comes to a "top gear' sprint.
Here is where I commit suicide. I'm about to attempt to contradict the KI *gulp*
Uh dude have you ever watched a Juniors race?
Top gear sprint chance=0. Unless of course you're in a huuuuge race. But the average RR, there's an immediate break between the guys who can ride and the guys who can't: you do the first half mile at like 17, 18mph in a rough peloton. Go around the first corner, and the wide peloton you were in disolves into a 2 wide. At that point, hold on. The lead group will go from 17 to 21 in a few seconds. That's your chance to get to the front. It then goes up to 28 or 30. They keep going till there's a significant group with a core of guys who can ride fast and stay in a paceline. That's around 4 people. This group will average 22mph+, while the non-break will fail to stay in a peloton as some people try to bridge the gap to the break but find that they can't do 25mph, others find that they can't even hold the 17.5mph unless theyre in a peloton, they drop back. If you're in the front group, there's a chance of a sprint, if you're not in the front group, no, there's not gonna be a sprint. You will come in with >100m between you and the next guy. And unless the guy behind you has a 60mph sprint, he's not gonna catch you, same goes for you and the guy ahead of you.
Also, With a 53-15 I can do a sprint up to 38.9mph. I wouldn't call that screwed, really. Cuz I doubt I could sprint much faster without a gear limit. I'd just not be spinning like a madman.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well in response to the one post i didnt know you could just divide the gears but thanks for the info. And about their only being 4 people who will be able to take that pace, i seriously doubt, since there are at least 2 racers who also race in cat 2 adult category(i live in so cal so im assuming its going to be a pretty stacked field). So i guess the best thing to do then would be to try and just ride the next week and get used to the gearing? Well im treating this as a learning experience anyway and am just hoping to finish in the pack.

5,513 Posts
jains89 said:
well in response to the one post i didnt know you could just divide the gears but thanks for the info. And about their only being 4 people who will be able to take that pace, i seriously doubt, since there are at least 2 racers who also race in cat 2 adult category(i live in so cal so im assuming its going to be a pretty stacked field). So i guess the best thing to do then would be to try and just ride the next week and get used to the gearing? Well im treating this as a learning experience anyway and am just hoping to finish in the pack.
Having 2 or so Cat 2 racers will force a break sooner. There will ALWAYS be a break in the junior field, due to the discrepancies between riders. I'm talking about 4 person break in around a 10-12 person field. Sorry for leaving that part out. The more fast guys you have, the sooner the break; 4 Cat 1's for example would NOT hang back with the Cat 5's, they'd break immediately, etc etc.
BTW it's not too hard to finish up high. Find someone who looks fast and/or experienced at teh starting line, and stay on their wheel. They'll find a good line through the pack to the break, and you just follow through. In the break, a paceline will form. Don't pull for more than 30 seconds, or a half mile, whichever feels better for you (most people recommend 30 seconds, but I'm happiest when I pull a half mile, dont know why...). If you start feeling lactic acid in your legs, drop to the back of the paceline. At the START of the feeling. If you already feel the burn, you're... screwed. At least in my experience.
-estone2

· Squirrel Hunter
3,854 Posts
Screwed

Kerry Irons said:
...assuming your limit screw can go in that far...
One trick to get the limit screw to go in a bit further is to fully remove the limit screw. Take off the spring on the limit screw. Put a dab of loctite on the limit screw. Screw the limit screw back in without the spring. You will be able to screw it in farther now without the spring on there and perhaps get to the 53x15 max gearing to meet rollout. Note this is what I used to do on a Centaur derailer. Good luck with your race.

Estone gave a nice description of how most junior races evolve.

· Registered
21,832 Posts
Reading carefully

estone2 said:
Uh dude have you ever watched a Juniors race?
Uh, yes as a matter of fact I have. And you are pretty much right, which is why I titled my post "screwed (sort of)" and why I said "if it comes to a top gear sprint." Did I need to qualify it more? There are such things as downhill and/or tailwind finishes. Each rider has to decide whether a given set of gears are right for them and the course. It sounds like your advice would be to never mount anything smaller than a 16, or are you just niggling :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.