Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm sitting down for dinner with my girlfriend and we're discussing cycling. I've been telling her about my desire to ride on a team. Well she brought up the topic and asked how my search was going. As I talked I could see her getting visibly upset. I tend to ramble when it comes to bike racing so decided I'd better wrap up my story. Suddenly she gets up. Puts her dishes in the sink and storms off.
So, of course, I follow her and ask what the hell that was all about. She says "I've been telling you for months that I wanna rent one of those bikes and you keep saying no!". After some thought I figured it out.
All this time she thought that by "team" she thought I meant another person to ride a tandem with......at races lol. I got a good laugh out of that and figured I'd share.
Fwiw. I picked up a book about cycling for her. "The misunderstood world of roadies" or something like that. She loves it and it helped tons.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Nice work tiger!! Glad she is coming round your way of thinking now. My G/F talks about racing more than me...guess I'm getting soft or over it..Any way will support her like a good partner would and still get to frequent the scene and see friends whilst out supporting her.

·
Registered
168 Posts
dude, I have a tandem hanging in my garage, we're gonna take ninigret by storm because obviously if we have two people pedaling we'll be twice as fast!

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
She wants to rent it on a wednesday. I get out of work at 5 and the sun is down just after 8. By the time I get out of work and pick up the bike we'll ride for an hour and pay 50 bucks. Or she could ride her bike for free. Or my old bike free. Or on the tandem on saturday where we'll have allllll day. Other than that I'd love for her to ride. I'm tired of running with her. What a boring sport.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
She wants to rent it on a wednesday. I get out of work at 5 and the sun is down just after 8. By the time I get out of work and pick up the bike we'll ride for an hour and pay 50 bucks. Or she could ride her bike for free. Or my old bike free. Or on the tandem on saturday where we'll have allllll day. Other than that I'd love for her to ride. I'm tired of running with her. What a boring sport.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Glad you got her the book, because if you ever decided you wanted a bike with a triple, I would worry what she thought you were getting into.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Yep, or a Rear DR.....

Tommy Walker said:
Glad you got her the book, because if you ever decided you wanted a bike with a triple, I would worry what she thought you were getting into.
may scare her off

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Minjin said:
How is running more boring than cycling?
Oh let me count the ways:

1. The only cool thing runners can get are some shoes and some oakley's. Cyclist (along with the shoes and Oakley's) can get a bike, a computer, a helmet and spandex.

2. 7 mph versus 24 mph

3. 26 miles vs 100 miles

4. Cyclist have a better chance against dogs.

5. Runners look dorky carrying a belt with 3 water bottles (unless it's imported); cyclist have carbon cages.

6. Cyclist have better knees after 50.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I hate to pick nits, but

Runners have garmin watches they can buy, they usually have several types of shoes for different events and terrain, there are tons of different running clothes including *gasp* spandex shorts!

A lot of runner run faster than 7 mph, and I am guessing not many cyclists are cruising along at 24 mph for all of their rides

Ever heard of an ultra marathon? The top guys (on a fast course) will cover 100 miles in 13 or so hours.

I'll give you the dog thing, but if a dog runs into you while you are running you will probably be fine. If one hits your front wheel while riding you are in for a bad accident.

I have never run with a water belt. A simple hand held or nothing at all works fine for most all runs. Including ultra marathons.

And running has been proven to enhance bone and joint health, Not degrade it. If anything cyclists will be worse off from a lack of weight bearing activity.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Tommy Walker said:
Oh let me count the ways:

1. The only cool thing runners can get are some shoes and some oakley's. Cyclist (along with the shoes and Oakley's) can get a bike, a computer, a helmet and spandex.

2. 7 mph versus 24 mph

3. 26 miles vs 100 miles

4. Cyclist have a better chance against dogs.

5. Runners look dorky carrying a belt with 3 water bottles (unless it's imported); cyclist have carbon cages.

6. Cyclist have better knees after 50.

·
The Cube
1,113 Posts
lizard king said:
I hate to pick nits, but

Runners have garmin watches they can buy, they usually have several types of shoes for different events and terrain, there are tons of different running clothes including *gasp* spandex shorts!

A lot of runner run faster than 7 mph, and I am guessing not many cyclists are cruising along at 24 mph for all of their rides

Ever heard of an ultra marathon? The top guys (on a fast course) will cover 100 miles in 13 or so hours.

I'll give you the dog thing, but if a dog runs into you while you are running you will probably be fine. If one hits your front wheel while riding you are in for a bad accident.

I have never run with a water belt. A simple hand held or nothing at all works fine for most all runs. Including ultra marathons.

And running has been proven to enhance bone and joint health, Not degrade it. If anything cyclists will be worse off from a lack of weight bearing activity.
Sell crazy someplace else, we're full up here. I'm sure there are plenty o' good running forum websites out there.

·
The Cube
1,113 Posts
lizard king said:
Whoa, didn't know mythbustin' wasn't allowed round these parts.
OK, why not.

So if cyclists are "if anything" worse off, why can the human body in top form as trained by a runner not run 19 half marathons in 21 days, as it can ride (for all intensive purposes) 19 centuries in 21 days as done in the Tour. Is it beacause the punishment the body takes running 13 miles, so far as the pounding the feet, ankles, knees, hips, and low back endures cannot be recovered from as quickly as it can from cycling 100 miles and burning roughly the same number of calories and having roughly the same cardiovascular output. Cyclists riding 3 and a half to 6 hours, 19 of 21 days, versus the 1 and a half to 2 hours to burn the same calories to run a half marathon, requiring far less repetition to be survivable, simple states mechanical efficiency advantages to the bicycle over the body.

if there's some 19 stage half marathon run event, why is it not at least popular enough to have ever been talked about on the news anywhere. Almost everyone has at least heard of the Tour De France.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
K. Are we really gonna argue about whether running is "better" than cycling? Isn't that kinda like arguing over which color is the most fun? I couldn't care any less how much you enjoy running. I believe it sucks. I have run 5ks 10ks and a half marathon. They all sucked. There is nothing at all enjoyable to me about running. But if the bike is in pieces, I'm stuck on vacation w/o my bike or I'm trapped at my gf's and left my chamois cream application rock at home.....I run. And I hate every single awkward, misguided and flatfooted step. Rant over

Oh. And cycling kicks the balls outta running.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Are you suggesting that a person can not run 13 miles for 21 straight days? I am sure Haile Gebrselassie, who runs up to and over 150 mpw, could bang out 21 hard 13 milers. Also, wouldn't be doing the same activity for 6 hours be more repetitive than doing it for 2 hours? I am not trying to claim that running is better than cycling or the other way around. I wouldn't ride a bike at all if I thought it didn't have any value in fitness or fun.
Running has different traditions than cycling. Everyone has heard of the Boston Marathon, just like they have heard of the tour.

Also, the saying is for all intents and purposes, not intensive purposes.

Have a good night

1 - 20 of 39 Posts