Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just another bicycle commuter vs. driver story, but this one involved a police officer. I was riding my morning commute, coming into the outskirts of town on a 2 lane county road. I see a police cruiser approaching from the other direction. I figured he was probably going to turn left into a compound to get fuel, and the timing was such that we were going to arrive at that driveway at about the same time. I did what all good bikers do and assume that he may not see me, even though I had on bright colored shirt, and visibility was good. I didn't slow my pace, which was probably about 18-20 mph. Anyway, sure enough, he proceeds to turn left in front of me, causing me to brake hard and swerve toward the center of the road, I probably only avoided the collision because I was prepared for his mistake. I yelled "HEY" as I passed about 5 feet from his car. His head snapped toward me, with the deer in the headlights look. I yelled something else after I passed by, profanity no doubt, which he probably didn't hear. Thought real hard about going back and approaching him back at the compound, but decided it probably wouldn't accomplish much at that point. Do still wonder if he just didn't see me, if he misjudged my speed, or if he was just being an jerk.
Started using my flashing headlight after that, even in bright daylight, since I'm assuming the police are blind around here. Either that or they're just as#$%#@s.

This just confirms all motorists are the enemy, beware!

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Looks like I'm jinxing everyone around here!

joe

·
170 Posts
Similar experience

I had a similar experience--saw the car coming, predicted they'd cut me off, and avoided it. Mine was at night.

I thought about going back to the parking lot they turned into, not to scold them but rather poll them. I wear bright reflective clothing, have reflectors and lights, but I wonder how visible I really am--I'd like to know if they weren't paying attention or if I really am 'invisible'.

·
Registered
727 Posts
i wish i could say this was unheard of, but i have heard some crazy stories from bicycle couriers coming into my shop. Cars going right up on the sidewalk chasing them, tailgating/bumping them, etc etc etc and cops are not immune, definitely.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts