Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Before I start, I want to make sure I have everything I will need.

I figure, with a new group set, I can do everything but probably the BB install. I have my bike torn down, with just the cranks left on. I will probably ask at the LBS if I can watch the BB uninstall / install for future reference. Also, does a new group set come with the RD plate? I want to make sure I put a new one on, simply because my current one may or may not be bent, and I would rather spend a few dollars making sure every item is new and aligned / straight etc.

That being said, from my research and the helpful advice from those here, I think everything else I can do / figure out. Time will tell.

I already have a PRS-20 stand, so the rest is re: the tools I will need -

I figure I will need the Park Tool AWS-1 Hex Wrench Set (both the 2,2.5 and 3mm and the 4,5 and 6 mm sets). I assume I should get a chain tool, the Park CN-27 looks the most reasonable. What about a master link tool and master link for the new chain? I will need cable cutters, so recommendations please. I have some Phil Woods grease and Pro Link Gold lube. I probably need a good torque wrench, because I am sure somewhere down the line I will purchase a CF frame, so paying for a good Snap-On (or whatever your recommendations are) is not an issue. If I need to get both a small and large (referring to force, i.e. 3-15 Nm and then a higher rated one) I will, but I think for a group set install all I will need now is a smaller range one, like the Park TW-5. Chain whip right? The Park SR2.2, plus something like the Paw 12 adjustable wrench (clearly I can go buy one at the hardware store, just confirming type / size with the Paw 12).

Also, I am going to be buying new wheels (I will post in the correct forum, but opinions on who to go to are always welcome - plan to spend $500 or so (but will go higher if there is reason to and DR isn't significant) and figure custom is the way to go), so are the items for the wheels necessary right now (spoke wrench, truing stand etc.)? I plan to bike the rest of my life, so purchasing and spending the money for quality tools now is worth it to me. The Park 2.2, accessories etc. - buy now? Or wait and purchase in due time? Bite the bullet and try building the wheels myself?

·
9,790 Posts

I figure, with a new group set, I can do everything but probably the BB install. I have my bike torn down, with just the cranks left on. I will probably ask at the LBS if I can watch the BB uninstall / install for future reference. Also, does a new group set come with the RD plate? I want to make sure I put a new one on, simply because my current one may or may not be bent, and I would rather spend a few dollars making sure every item is new and aligned / straight etc.

That being said, from my research and the helpful advice from those here, I think everything else I can do / figure out. Time will tell.

I figure I will need the Park Tool AWS-1 Hex Wrench Set (both the 2,2.5 and 3mm and the 4,5 and 6 mm sets). I assume I should get a chain tool, the Park CN-27 looks the most reasonable. What about a master link tool and master link for the new chain? I will need cable cutters, so recommendations please. I have some Phil Woods grease and Pro Link Gold lube. I probably need a good torque wrench, because I am sure somewhere down the line I will purchase a CF frame, so paying for a good Snap-On (or whatever your recommendations are) is not an issue. If I need to get both a small and large (referring to force, i.e. 3-15 Nm and then a higher rated one) I will, but I think for a group set install all I will need now is a smaller range one, like the Park TW-5.

Also, I am going to be buying new wheels (I will post in the correct forum, but opinions on who to go to are always welcome - plan to spend $500 or so and figure custom is the way to go), so are the items for the wheels necessary right now (spoke wrench, truing stand etc.)? I plan to bike the rest of my life, so purchasing and spending the money for quality tools now is worth it to me. The Park 2.2, accessories etc. - buy now? Or wait and purchase in due time? Bite the bullet and try building the wheels myself?
I assume "RD plate" means derailleur hanger. They are specific to the frame. Ergo, Shimano doesn't include the 100 or so different ones that exist.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, thanks. It is on a Caad 10 so I will contact the LBS and see if they have one or order a new one. I'll have the LBS check the current one as well, and if all looks good that is one less expense.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts

I figure I will need the Park Tool AWS-1 Hex Wrench Set (both the 2,2.5 and 3mm and the 4,5 and 6 mm sets). I assume I should get a chain tool, the Park CN-27 looks the most reasonable. What about a master link tool and master link for the new chain? I will need cable cutters, so recommendations please. I have some Phil Woods grease and Pro Link Gold lube. I probably need a good torque wrench, because I am sure somewhere down the line I will purchase a CF frame, so paying for a good Snap-On (or whatever your recommendations are) is not an issue. If I need to get both a small and large (referring to force, i.e. 3-15 Nm and then a higher rated one) I will, but I think for a group set install all I will need now is a smaller range one, like the Park TW-5. Chain whip right? The Park SR2.2, plus something like the Paw 12 adjustable wrench (clearly I can go buy one at the hardware store, just confirming type / size with the Paw 12).

Also, I am going to be buying new wheels (I will post in the correct forum, but opinions on who to go to are always welcome - plan to spend $500 or so (but will go higher if there is reason to and DR isn't significant) and figure custom is the way to go), so are the items for the wheels necessary right now (spoke wrench, truing stand etc.)? I plan to bike the rest of my life, so purchasing and spending the money for quality tools now is worth it to me. The Park 2.2, accessories etc. - buy now? Or wait and purchase in due time? Bite the bullet and try building the wheels myself?
The park hex wrenches are kind of convenient but I would just prefer to use regular T-handle or keys because they're more versatile/require less clearance.

I usually use a KMC/SRAM/Wipperman quick link so I've never bothered with master link tools.

Cable cutters, I just picked the least offensively priced ones, which were the Pedros cable cutters. I've never used another so no comparison to more expensive cutters, but they work fine.

for a torque wrench, you don't need a $400 1/2" drive tq wrench. remember that the usual tq values for bicycle hardware is in the range of 5-80 n-m of force, so the tq wrench should be accurate in those ranges.

if you're buying wheels, you probably just need a spoke wrench. the Park horseshoe spoke wrenches do alright by me (the new style 4-sided spoke wrenches are great for preserving nipple corners, but the one I have wasn't machined correctly and never fits on my spokes). This is assuming the wheelset you buy has the nipples accessible...As far as truing stands go, I've never seen the need to buy one. I true on the bike using the frame/brakes. My wheel builds are not picture perfect, but the wheels are true enough for me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The park hex wrenches are kind of convenient but I would just prefer to use regular T-handle or keys because they're more versatile/require less clearance.
Good to know. Should be easy to pick these up locally then.

I usually use a KMC/SRAM/Wipperman quick link so I've never bothered with master link tools.
I will probably pick up a chain tool and master link pliers, just for ease of use down the road. I had a hell of a time getting apart my current quick link, but that was probably because I didn't service it often enough and grime got in there.

Cable cutters, I just picked the least offensively priced ones, which were the Pedros cable cutters. I've never used another so no comparison to more expensive cutters, but they work fine.
Thanks. I looked at those. They seem good. Any advice on going after some like the SRAM or Park versions which have the awl and crimper built in?

for a torque wrench, you don't need a $400 1/2" drive tq wrench. remember that the usual tq values for bicycle hardware is in the range of 5-80 n-m of force, so the tq wrench should be accurate in those ranges.
I figure the Park TW-5 will suffice for low end torque work. That being said, Sears always runs sales on their Craftsman TW in the beam style. I figure if I have the room, the beam is probably better (read more durable if I drop it), but they run the clickers on sale often enough too.

if you're buying wheels, you probably just need a spoke wrench. the Park horseshoe spoke wrenches do alright by me (the new style 4-sided spoke wrenches are great for preserving nipple corners, but the one I have wasn't machined correctly and never fits on my spokes). This is assuming the wheelset you buy has the nipples accessible...As far as truing stands go, I've never seen the need to buy one. I true on the bike using the frame/brakes. My wheel builds are not picture perfect, but the wheels are true enough for me.
Awesome thanks. I will confirm with a wheel builder / store (if I purchase them via that route) which ones I need.

Thank you

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
For the cable cutter, google up the Jagwire or SRAM. Others are better known and possibly 'better', but these do exactly what they are meant to, and well.

For the chain whip, look at the Stein Hyper Handle, or the Pedro's equivalent. They aren't as cheap as a traditional whip, but they sure are nice.

If you don't have a cassette tool, get one with a guide pin.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Those Jagwire cable cutters are exactly the ones I was looking for. Saw a video and they had everything I need. Thanks. Check!

As for the Stein Hyper Handle, I assume that is simply for holding the assembly. So I still need my adjustable crescent wrench as well as the fitting for the assembly (will pick up the Park FR-5G) correct? Cool, few more items checked off my list!

Thank you

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.