Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out riding in the intense Southwest Missouri heat today, when I came up upon a man on a loaded touring bike with a map out wondering which would be the best road to take to get him to his destination. I stopped to make sure he was okay or needed help. We talked about the best roads to get him to the St. Louis area. I decided to slow down and ride with him a bit. Here is a man who is a few months shy of turning seventy, that is undecided about whether or not he was ready to retire from his job, going on a solo bike tour from Tucson, AZ to his summer home in Northern Michigan just past Traverse City. Before this endevor, he had never ridden more than 50 miles in a day his entire life. I rode with him to the next town. Talked about how best to get through St. Louis and avoid East St. Louis. Gave him some hints about getting through Chicagoland, and sent him along his way. Just really cool who you run into out there and their story.

· Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
I thought about riding x-country this summer. If I did, I'd do it via credit card & motel, carrying a minimum amount of stuff with me. I sitll want to do it, but I think I'll "give it" to myself as a retirement present.

It's remarkable that this guy who's 69 has the ability to do this. I'll have to wait another 5 1/2 years to find out how I feel at that age.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.