Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking forward to this big charity ride I am doing this coming weekend. It is a 180 mile 2 day event and has been months in the planning and training. Wouldn't you know it, I get struck by a bug yesterday.

What do you guys do to speed recovery in a situation like this before a big ride or race? It appears to be a head cold of sorts, sinus pressure, ect.

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
best of luck. is it a two night ride (3 days) or just 2 days? because you are pretty much doing two centuries.

fluids, rest, and a neti pot. you may need to dope up with tylenolpm or nyquil before your go to bed. i hate using that stuff, but it shuts my body down so i get the appropriate rest.

·
Registered
21,544 Posts
Drink up

OHroadie said:
Oh, I plan riding regardless. Just looking for recovery options from those that deal with this kind of thing. Saturday, will be a moderate to slow pace and Sunday I am hoping to push it pretty hard.
Lots of rest and lots of liquids between now and then, and many people respond well to lots of fruit as well. Your plan to go hard on Sunday is probably a mistake. Even if you feel OK on Sunday AM, going deep into your reserves could leave you with a bad cold on Monday and a lot of suffering down the road. Just be happy to finish the distance when you have a cold and don't get greedy.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Haven't got around the the neti pot. As of today I feel almost 100%. On top of some vitamin C and B12, had few servings of fruit each day this week. My nose ran so much yesterday I think he water table rose around here.

Have to be up at 4:30am tomorrow morning to go get in line with 4000 other riders. can't wait!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts