Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

· Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Even sometimes? I won't go beyond my driveway without one, but I still occasionally (thankfully very rarely) see road riders sans helmet, one who I know in particular is a cat 1 racer! I can never get myself to even acknowledge him as I can't get past his stupidity, and can't imagine his rationale, not that I even care to hear it.

· Registered
625 Posts
I suppose if folks are new to cycling, it might come as a shock, but back in the bad old days most of us never wore helmets while training (strap helmets for races). I don't remember back then guys getting more head injuires than they do these days with helmets, but of course that doesn't make going helmetless today a smart decision, just funny how things change.

· Registered
429 Posts
right or not...i don't when i'm just cruising the neighborhood or MUT with my daughter. she always wears hers, luckily she believed me when i told her it's required until age 30.

truthfully, i wish i didn't have to. i much prefer not wearing it, but on road rides or singletrack, the risk is just too great.

i have a hard time with this requirement that kids wear them though. i never did growing up, nor did any of my friends, and i can't think of one head injury. oh well...not a bad habit to get them into anyway.

· Registered
449 Posts
Same here.. had a bad crash about 8 years ago, helmet split, head was fine... ever since then, wont get on a bike without it... even better, my 2 year old has learned that helmets are cool, wont get on his "bike" without it (its actually a skeeter) and thats pretty cool... he's always pointing out people on bikes and motorcycles that aren't wearing helmets... to each his own, but i think you're crazy if you dont

· Bikespace member
4,461 Posts
i'm a 1%er. i wear a helmet about 99 times out of a hundred. about the only time i don't is if i'm on the cruiser getting coffee about 4 blocks away. btw, i've been hit several times by cars (all sans helmet when i was much younger), cracked several helmets mtb-ing, and is even the poster adult(literally) for wearing a helmet for the local bike safety coalition. they cart around a busted helmet where i sustained a concussion, and tell kids to wear a helmet. so yeah, i know the dangers of not wearing one.

· RoadBikeCrusader
40 Posts
Believe or not I actually find that the helmet keeps my head cooler on a hot sunny day than riding without. I find that the it tends to channel the air over my head and of course keeps that direct sun off my bald noggin.

· Registered
629 Posts
There was a young, brilliant surgeon, 33 years old at my hospital, wife two kids and a thrill seeker. He was heading to the golf course on his bike and hit a speed bump wrong in the parking lot and hit his head on the curb. I took him off life support 3 days later. What a waste. I did feel sorry for him but looking at his family as he died was gut wrenching.
I will always wear a helmet and I really hope everyone else does.

· Poseur
1,409 Posts
I never wore on until about 30 years ago when my doctor showed me photos of cyclists whose heads had skidded across the pavement. I only needed to see a couple of those and I was convinced. I've worn a helmet cycling ever since. My first one was a Skid Lid, by today's standards pretty useless but it was better than nothing.

· Call me a Fred
17,026 Posts
Does anyone here not wear a helmet when on stairs or in the shower/tub?
Lots of head injuries occur in those locations.

· More carbon fiber please!
797 Posts
Crashed the mtb years back and split the helmet open down one side. Hate to think what would've happened had it not been on. I may have been injured and turned out normal for the rest of my life, wow. Seriously though I always wear one and never let the little one ride without hers either. No helmet, no bike riding.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.