Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and you guys are insane.

I just took it out of the basement and around the neighborhood for a short ride (it's rainy here today). Man, that is sure something different. I can see how it would become addictive.

Weather's supposed to be better tomorrow. Can't wait to get out there and nearly kill myself.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,465 Posts
Umm. PICTURE PLUEASE! (Enjoy!)

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Don't kill yourself

beergood said:
Weather's supposed to be better tomorrow. Can't wait to get out there and nearly kill myself.
Just be ready for the kick in the ass when you come up that first stopsign and try to coast.

·
Registered
94 Posts
. . . or when you're barrelling down a hill and stand up to coast over some rough stuff. . .

. . .or when you shun the front brake because it's for pussies and then you drop a chain in the middle of a county line sprint. . .

. . .or when your ass makes like it's chewing bubble gum while you spin yourself silly on an extended 16% decline. . .

are there more?

I know, I know: a front brake solves a lot of fixie problems. I broke down and installed one a few months ago [hanging his head in shame].

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got some real miles in today.

It sure is a horse of a different color.

I think I'm hooked. There is still a lot of stuff that I need some time practicing before it becomes second nature but I took to it pretty quickly. I know I am going to have a lot of fun on this thing this summer. I haven't named any of my other bikes, but I think this thing just might be worthy. Loretta is the first name that comes to mind.

I did install a front break during the build (I figured if I didn't like it I could take it off later) and I am definitely glad I did.

The basics of the bike:

Old tange bianchi (circa 1980) that I have sprayed semi-flat black.
Wolber wheelset that I took the freewheel off and redished. It's a true fixed, no flip-flop.
Bullhorn bars off ebay
old 600 crank
105 front brake
42-15 ratio, not too hilly here, I think I can go even steeper.
I am watching ebay for an old Brooks saddle

My camera and I aren't getting along (I lost the charger on vacation). I will post pictures when I can.

Before you see it, I would like to mention that Mad Max is one of my favorite movies.

Thanks for the replies.

·
Master Bike Mechanic
409 Posts
Theres a lightly used Champion Special at <a href="http://www.wallbike.com/used.html">Wallingford</a href> for only $68.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,465 Posts
Is it similar to this? My old fixie. Tiawanese Bianchi, circa mid 80's.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here are the pics

Ridden it every day this week (except today, it raining dammit). The original plan for this bike was to hopefully replace my round townie (old trek mtn) and to help me get back in shape for takin' out the thoroughbred (Cannondale R5000).

And now I am more excited about riding this than I am about hauling out the Dale. I don't know if it's the challenge of learning new skills or the momentary joy of new ownership, but I am having a blast on this thing.

Before viewing the pics:

I would like to get my hands on a Brooks (when the magic conjunction of a good deal appears when I have surplus cash)

I would like to change pedals (I'm thinking Crank Brothers Mallets)

I'm thinking about going with a set of tires with some more tread (suggestions please)

I am embarrased about the computer, however I was really curious how fast this thing was. It probably won't be on for very long.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,465 Posts
Looks alot like mine. Don't worry bout the 'puter. I have one, too. Relentless need to quantify things, you know..

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,465 Posts
As for tires, I had Conti's on. Not sure what model, but they were fine. Never was wanting for more traction. That is a 27", right?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think we are riding the same frame (it's soft yet responsive, a good compromise for Detroit suburbs). This had a beat up silver/purple paint job when I got it, I'm partial to semi-flat black so I stripped it and sprayed it (did the same thing to my Ford F150, and also loved the results).

Some of my favorite things; Ghetto: the big dog, Friday: the little one, Gertie: the truck, Loretta: the fixie

No, I don't have a Johnny Cash fetish (although he is pretty awesome) nor am I a goth. I just think some things look a little more serious when they're flat black.

The hoops are 700c. Riding on mich hi-lites. Liked the tires on the standard road, but it must be true what they say about a conventional drivetrain eating some of your power. If I hammer the pedals I can spin the rear tire. It's a little unsettling.

How long you been riding yours?

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,465 Posts
You might be right about the frames. Your description of the ride is pretty accurate. I've had mine about 4-5 yrs bought off a coworker for $75. It was sitting in his basement collecting dust. I just sold her to a local kid for $180:D :D reason being that I am building another one. At this time I can't justify having 2 fixies. I'll post the finished result in a few days. Like yer doggies:)

·
Two wheeled & too big
63 Posts
mhk said:
. . . or when you're barrelling down a hill and stand up to coast over some rough stuff. . .

. . .or when you shun the front brake because it's for pussies and then you drop a chain in the middle of a county line sprint. . .

. . .or when your ass makes like it's chewing bubble gum while you spin yourself silly on an extended 16% decline. . .

are there more?

I know, I know: a front brake solves a lot of fixie problems. I broke down and installed one a few months ago [hanging his head in shame].
How about when you try to bunny hop a pot hole? Is it even possible?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sometimes in the first few minutes of a ride I would stand on the pedals and freewheel to stretch my knees.

Appearently this is a reflex I never noticed, but I sure noticed it the first time I unknowingly tried it on the fixed.

Talk about a wake up call. This is not your father's oldsmobile.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.