Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to let everyone know I finished my first metric century - the Daffodil Classic - Orting, WA.

If you were out there today as well, I hope you enjoyed it - the weather was the best it's been so far this year! :) If anyone passed the poor guy in the yellow jersey/bibshorts that was having a hell of a time over the last 20 miles, that was my friend - and we figured out why he was hurting so badly!

(1) I know it's a sin, but he decided to test out the seat I bought for the bike I'm building - it's a 155mm Specialized Toupe - he has been using a 143mm Specialized Alias. He thought the width might be better for his sit bones.
- So yes, I should not have let him try it out on a 60 mile ride!

(2) We didn't tighten the clamp enough, so the seat slid all the way back - it must have been a good 2-3 inches farther back than it should of, which caused him to have to stretch out way too far to reach the hoods (and it was causing him leg/butt pain). We didn't notice until we after we reached the finish. Duh!

Eh well, we live and learn. I feel great though! :D

Thanks for the support everyone. Next organized ride - 100 mile Reach the Beach ride on May 16th :)

·
Lizzie will ride free
3,156 Posts
Excellent. It's going to turn into some warmer weather here soon. Keep going. Just keep eating, drinking, and taking on electrolytes, and 100 miles will feel just fine. Good work. JP

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JP said:
Excellent. It's going to turn into some warmer weather here soon. Keep going. Just keep eating, drinking, and taking on electrolytes, and 100 miles will feel just fine. Good work. JP
Thanks JP :D I'm loving this whole road bike thing ;) I'm addicted!

-Chris

·
Registered
112 Posts
I did the 63 mile Eatonville loop. Absolutely perfect day for it! You guys really should carry some basic tools with you, like a set of 3, 4, 5, and 6 mm allen wrenches. Fits in any saddle bag, if not your jersey pocket. At the first rest stop there was a bike tech doing adjustments for people free of charge. Other riders tend to be helpful too. I managed to bum a couple ibuprofen from a nice lady at the 2nd rest stop (right in Eatonville). :)

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MisterAngular said:
I did the 63 mile Eatonville loop. Absolutely perfect day for it! You guys really should carry some basic tools with you, like a set of 3, 4, 5, and 6 mm allen wrenches. Fits in any saddle bag, if not your jersey pocket. At the first rest stop there was a bike tech doing adjustments for people free of charge. Other riders tend to be helpful too. I managed to bum a couple ibuprofen from a nice lady at the 2nd rest stop (right in Eatonville). :)
Sorry I probably wasn't clear :) We BOTH carry a multi tool with allen wrenches - we just didn't notice the seat issue until we were loading up the truck at the end of the ride :) I actually carry a full size allen wrench set and a basic cheapo spin doctor tool kit, along with my Joe Blow sport pump in the truck - that way if we need to make any adjustments we can do so before the ride :)

And I even brought ibuprofen along, which Troy needed and I did not :) I also always have cash, credit/debit cards, license, cell phone, spare tube, clif bars, tire levers, etc. My dad raised me to always carry in more than you need!

-Chris

·
Registered
112 Posts
Ah... that's cool, makes sense. I didn't mean to come across as "preachy" or anything. I always tend to forget SOMETHING. This time it was just the ibuprofen which was more for headache than the ol' legs. :)

How'd ya like that big descent at the end? I think I broke 42 MPH which is plenty fast for me on a bicycle!

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MisterAngular said:
Ah... that's cool, makes sense. I didn't mean to come across as "preachy" or anything. I always tend to forget SOMETHING. This time it was just the ibuprofen which was more for headache than the ol' legs. :)

How'd ya like that big descent at the end? I think I broke 42 MPH which is plenty fast for me on a bicycle!
Unfortunately I got stuck behind a pair of timid females that were riding their brakes :-/ Although it was rather enjoyable anyway!! :D I actually liked the hill leaving Eatonville the best, except for the @sshat in the F150 that almost ran me into the guardrail :-/ It's always pissed me off how stupid drivers can be.... although later in the ride I think I started understanding a bit of it - a man and his wife(?) riding side by side, apparently thinking they had the right to slow down traffic because it was an organized ride??

I'm still getting used to the whole people leaving me two feet of space passing me at 50mph thing, but I think I'll get the hang out it :)

And by the way, I know you weren't being preachy - I just didn't want anything to think that I don't come prepared! (although I forgot my water bottles, luckily remembering two minute from the house so we went back at got them - for the Chilly Hilly, Troy forgot his shoes and had to buy new ones in Bainbridge, then his rear derailleur spontaneously combusted :blush2: )

Anywho, yes it was certainly the best day we've had so far this year (weather-wise). Back to the rain!!

-Chris

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
deleted - double post

·
Registered
112 Posts
Can't let a little rain stop ya! I got a "quickie" ride in yesterday around Tacoma where I work. 12-ish miles and 900 ft of total ascent, better than nothing. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts