Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a Madone 5.9, 2005 version off ebay for $1950. I have to put some accessories on it so I thought I'd ask for recommendations. Here's my list so far.

Pedals
Pump
Cyclecomputer
Water bottle cages
Underseat bag/pouch to carry tube, etc
Multi tool
Tire lever

What else? What recommendations do you have? I'm thinking of the Ultegra pedals.

TIA,

Bob

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
Floor pump and a frame or mini pump for pumping up tires when you fix a flat out on the road.

Lots of clothes.

Tools for use at home since multi tools are for emergency use only:
spoke wrench
pedal wrench
chain whip
cassette lockring tool
more tire levers
typical metric tools if you don't already have them

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
Add to the list:

Buy a bunch of spare tubes and patches. I carry two spare tubes, a patch kit plus a couple of tire boots. If you maintain you bike properly your main setback will be flats. I buy tubes ten at at time, when on sale if possible.

Inflation system-whatever works for you. Frame pump, mini, co2 etc..You can buy a case of 25 12g co2 at Kmart for around $12.00.

Grease.

Chain lube, homebrew or whatever.

Eventually you will probably want a wheel truing stand and a bike work stand.

Rags, or paper shop towels for cleaning up your bike.

Simple Green, Windex, wax. Windex works good on carbon frames and wheel rims.

A clean bike is a happy bike.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Miscommunication

The burden of communication is on the writer... sorry...

I have almost all that stuff, but it's in my garage. I'm curious as to what you actually bring with you on the bike. Recommendations on frame pump versus CO cartridges, water bottle cages, etc. What do you bring with you when you ride?

I just bought an (what for me is a very) expensive bike and I don't want to put junk on it.

What pedal recommendations do you have?

Thanks,

Bob

·
Registered
577 Posts
I really enjoy my new speedplay zeros. they feel really solid when im pushing hard and im pretty sure its impossible to "pull" out of them. ive tried to the point i almost fell off the bike and it didnt happen. easy to get in and out of.

however im sure most good pedals are like this.

·
1/10th as pissed off...
325 Posts
Don't forget a chain tool

If your chain breaks out on the road, you're walking... Been there, done that...

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
Stuff I carry:

BobHatcher said:
The burden of communication is on the writer... sorry...

I have almost all that stuff, but it's in my garage. I'm curious as to what you actually bring with you on the bike. Recommendations on frame pump versus CO cartridges, water bottle cages, etc. What do you bring with you when you ride?

I just bought an (what for me is a very) expensive bike and I don't want to put junk on it.

What pedal recommendations do you have?

Thanks,

Bob
I use old Look Delta pedals. When they go south I will probably replace them with the new Keo's. I use same shoes for two bikes.

Stufff I carry with me:

In my jersey pocket:
A couple of hex wrenches
energy bar
spare tube
co2 inflator with 12g cartridge
cell phone
I.D. and about $7.00 in cash

IN my under saddle bag:
second spare tube
Park glueless tire patch kit.
Two Park tire boots
A couple of tire irons
Two 12g co2 cartridges
Spare Connex connector link for Wipperman chain
Chain tool

ON Bike:
On one bike I pack a full length Blackburn frame pump
On my other bike I pack a Blackburn A1 Mini
Two water bottle cages. I have Elite Ciussi on one bike and Specialized Rib Pro on the other. I also have some Taxc Tao and Elite Patao Alloy that I have used. If you are concerned about marring your water bottles, consider stainless steel.
Cateye Micro Wireless

I use the pumps to seat the tire and finish off with co2. I can get up to whatever and continue on my ride. Might be overkill to pack both, but I never have to worry about getting stuck.

You'll probably get a lot of different recommendations on what to carry.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I carry (besides GPS and HRM on handlebars) a spare tube, CO2 inflator, tire lever, homemade spoke wrench, and cell phone. Depending on the ride length I'll also bring varying amounts of food and water. I would carry more maintenance stuff but 99% of the time I ride alone my mom is at home so she can come get me.

For pedals I would look for Look Keos because I love mine (Keo classics). They can be found occaisionally for sale around $60. The only problem I have with them is if you walk around too much you will wear the plastic cleats down VERY quickly.

·
Banned
7,191 Posts
Carry both a pump and CO2 cartridges- Use the CO2 first because it's faster, then break out the pump when you manage to accidentally blow through yer CO2 supply. otherwise, you end up on the side of the road hoping for someone to come along with a pump. Ask me how I know...

I've got a tiny little crank brothers pump that's small enough to fit in my saddle bag, yet it will inflate a road tube pretty well.

Bring a spare tube and a patch kit.

Currently running Crank bros. Candies and a set of really, really old look pedals. They've both been pretty much bomb-proof.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
Good advice above. I'd put the bottle cages on immediately. I have a drinking problem. When I'm riding I feel the need to do it a lot. Even in the winter with temps in the 20sF, I usually finish a 20 oz bottle on my way to work, which is 18 miles. I just can't get far without liquids. YMMV.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
I think the ultegra pedals are great.

Why do you ride? to race? to be in shape? to have fun? A cycle computer with heart rate might be nice for some training purposes, almost anything can tell you your instantaneous velocity and distance.

Most of the accessories won't change your ride dramatically, if it were me, I'd walk into an LBS and say "this is what I need, this is how much I have to spend, what would you recommend?"

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.