Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Bike Wing Conspiracy
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my first new pair of shoes in 9 years. My Sidi Dominators have given their all and I knew it was time to retire them. The tread was ground so far down, they had less of a profile than a pair of road shoes. The cleat was ground down to a few millimeters above zero. A few more months of walking and clipping in and they would have failed. The openings at the bottom of the shoe where the cleats bloted in had actually cracked in the rear, meaning there was a lot of flex when I rode and I felt it sometimes on very long rides.

As much as I loved these shoes, there were some shortcoming I wished were different. Then when I started looking at new shoes, the Vernice Carbons were the answer to my prayers. Every problem I have had with the Dominators have been addressed in the Vernice. Carbon sole, heel stabilizer, better strapping mechanism, replaceable tread and all around better design.

I pondered the purchase and finally pulled the trigger on an Ebay auction-these things are expensive. Got them yesterday and was scared to death that I wouldnt like them as much as I thought I would. They were sent to me at work. These things are so shiny, I have to do something about it. I have been carrying an extra set of cleats around with me for years. I was amazed that I had all the parts, because there was no way I was going to be able to remove my old cleats. I positioned them exactly the same way as my old shoes and put the shoes on.

It was so different. There was tread. I wasnt grinding the ground. Riding home was a revelation. Power transfer was improved, there was no more flex and the inserts stayed where they were supposed to. I tweaked the seat height a few millimeters to accomodate the way my feet sat a little higher because of the shoe and the new cleats.

I have different points on my commute where I can gauge how well I feel or how much I drank the night before. Riding over the different NYC bridges is one gauge and taking off from certain lights is another. Sprinting off the light from 14th street and 3rd to a little riser on 28th street is a good gauge - I have to catch the top of the riser on 28th street on a green light, and I am feeling good. I blasted this criteria out of the water today. Cant wait to take these shoes out on a longer ride.

I am going to hang my old shoes on the wall. They served me well.

·
Registered
352 Posts

·
Burn baby, burn.
2,497 Posts
Which Vernice??
Vernice is more about the colour than a model I believe.
I have a new set of Sidi Spider Vernice.
They are like a white patent leather.
And the Spiders are a different last to my older Sidi Dragons.
Completely different shape in the toe box.
More square like Specialized.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I tried some on and looked at the shiny patent leather and said to myself, do I want to be seen in these? Naaaaa. Looked like tap dancing shoes.

·
coaster
1,051 Posts
I give 3 thumbs up to the Sidi Charger MX boots I got today. From the moment I put them on they were the most comfortable boots I've ever worn. At $380 they make bike shoes sound cheap. Believe it or not there is also a $500 model!

·
Bike Wing Conspiracy
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pics of the 8 year old Sidi Dominators

From all angles.

You can tell these were on the way out.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
lol...damn bro you beat the shyt out of those shoes.

i love my dominators too, though. i've managed to keep em, and keep em clean for three years, they are f*ckin indestructable, they look great too. i've looked at the carbon shoes, but you're right, damn they cost a LOT. not quite ready to pull the trigger, i have a new pair of doms in reserve, and if the price is right will get a third. i really like them a lot

oh btw where are pics of vernice?

·
Bike Wing Conspiracy
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
315 off an ebay auction. Just a bit more than new Doms.

easyridernyc said:
lol...damn bro you beat the shyt out of those shoes.

i love my dominators too, though. i've managed to keep em, and keep em clean for three years, they are f*ckin indestructable, they look great too. i've looked at the carbon shoes, but you're right, damn they cost a LOT. not quite ready to pull the trigger, i have a new pair of doms in reserve, and if the price is right will get a third. i really like them a lot

oh btw where are pics of vernice?

315 off an ebay auction. Just a bit more than new Doms.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I believe "Vernice" refers to the fact that they have a shiny patent leather type finish to them. They have "vernice" finishes available in several models if memory serves.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts