Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife got home and I had all my gear on and was ready to roll. So I started off slow ( yeah right) and within the first 5 minutes I was at 80% heart rate. I rode the entire ride around 80% max HR. I went 1.5 hrs, picked up 1 minute per mile, Last week I was at 6 minutes per mile this week I'm at 5. I went 17.8 miles in 1.5 hrs and could have gone longer... I'm a happy camper with my progress. :thumbsup: The best part is I burned 1007 kcal.

Chris

· Registered
14,776 Posts
Lotta numbers there

Did you have fun? When I have a nice ride, the best part is I had fun. That's why I ride my bike. I sometimes tell people it's to save gas, get exercise, keep my weight down, etc. But I'm lying. Fun is the real reason.

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was 125lbs out of high school, I'm edging up on double that now. When I start getting back to my target weight it'll become more fun. For now I'm focused on the gut though.

· Registered
14,776 Posts
I hear ya. Looking forward to reports on the scale number progress. Hang in there.

It is fun, though, isn't it?

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm 5' 8" and I weighed myself this morning at 205lbs. I actually did start growing until I was 19 and in the USAF. I was 5' 5" when I Joined in 92' and in 93' I was 5' 7". Coming out of the military I hit 160 which is spot on. Hopefully I'll start to see some progress. We cut my calorie intake, and upped my exercise but now I'm ALWAYS hungry. I love food so its hard. My best friend is a professional Chef so you know going to his house kills me. I found a local club to join which is great for my sanity on rides. Although If I were to continue solo riding I'd be a pretty good TT rider when it was all said and done. Thanks for your support here, the accident really screwed up my health from a fitness standpoint and support is great. For those wondering I was going around a corner on my motorcycle and some gravel was on the road, it got me sideways and took me into a chain link fence, no helmet. My stomach went into the bars at the end and it messed up some muscles and my intestines. We're good now though. I was at 165lbs when I got in the accident so thats my goal again.

On another note, I broke out my stationary trainer last night. I have a book written by Dr. Arnie Baker called Smart Cycling. I was a bit uncomfortable on my ride yesterday and decided to go over my setup on my bike again just to be sure. According to the book I found that my bars were too low, my seat was angled too far forward, and the bar angle was too flat in comparison to the seat tube, I adjusted these things and spent 30 minutes on the trainer and felt better.

Thanks again,
Chris

· Coffee Lover
297 Posts
I'm 5'7" and feel great at 138-140. I was almost 30 pounds heavier a year ago. Little frames like ours don't carry extra weight well. I lost the first 10 pounds on an elliptical because I was rehabbing a knee and ankle. Eventually, I started running and it helped me shed a few more pounds, but my body can't take daily running. I rediscovered cycling and love it. Good luck in your quest.

· Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
BuckeyeBiker said:
How did you come to the conclusion that you burned 1007 Kcal? That number seems kinda high. Just curious.
probably what the polar HRM said...usually way off.

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BuckeyeBiker said:
How did you come to the conclusion that you burned 1007 Kcal? That number seems kinda high. Just curious.
Its what my heart rate monitor estimated that I burned over the ride. I use a Polar S520 which has a desktop program that I download all my heart rate data to after every ride. It shows graphs of my laps and the heart rate per minute. Here is the data:
Data Value Unit
Duration 1:29:00
Sampling Rate 60 s

Energy Expenditure 1007 kcal
Number of Heart Beats 14490 beats
Recovery -15 beats
Minimum Heart Rate 122 bpm
Average Heart Rate 161 bpm
Maximum Heart Rate 178 bpm
Standard Deviation 10.6 bpm

This is just the information as I couldnt copy the graph onto this forum (I dont know how)

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How accurate are the HR monitors? When looking at the data how concerned should I be with my kcal expenditure? I know to pay attention to my target HRzone but constantly ignore it. I always feel that I need to push harder if my HR is below 150.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.