Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Downhill Juggernaut
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow, what an evening. All in all it ended well. A sprained ligament in the shoulder, road rash from shin to mid thigh on the right leg, as well as the right arm. Probably need a new helmet as well.

It all started innocently enough. I'm trying to use my bike for all my errands, so I rode over to Babies R Us to buy some diapers for my little girl. A Chrome bag will hold an entire case of those by the way... barely. Then the screw for the back fender managed to back out, so I had to pull over on the side of the road to manage a fix. Finally on the road again, flying up to a green light, made a left turn (2 lanes turn left, I was in the middle) and booked it around the corner. A suburban turns at the same time as me, didn't see me and moved over into my lane so I thought, no problem... I'll just shoot up onto the sidewalk and cut across this parking lot. I was taking the next right turn anyway.

Little did I know that the sidewalk/parking lot had expansion cracks that were the exact width as my wheels. At least they were for about 10 feet or so. I gravitated to them like they were a black hole. Next thing I know I'm falling/sliding across the parking lot. I slid about 15-20 feet (I had been booking it around that corner prety good- I'll have to get the data off my GPS to see how fast I was going). Man that sucked.

Anyway, the first thing I did was make sure the bike was ok. Not a scratch on it. I later realized that I held the bike above me as much as I could while I slid. Then I checked myself over. I met up with my wife a few miles down the road and was bleeding pretty good by that time. Went to the ER. Great staff who saw me quickly, cleaned me up well and sent me on my way with extra supplies. I need to send them a letter of thanks.

Now the pains starting to set in, my shoulder is killing me. I checked over the bike again, it looks fine. Just a few scratches on the wheels themselves where they came into contact with the vortex that sucked me under. Luckily the helmet isn't cracked, but it has some good road rash and probably needs to be replaced. My shoes got scarred up pretty good as well.

Hey on the bright side, I got around 20 miles in before this all happened!

·
haole from the mainland
5,962 Posts
Glad you and the bike are okay

Guy I know wrecked the same way, got his tire stuck in an expansion joint of some kind during a pretty heavy deluge. His damage was more substantial and included three broken ribs, a collapsed lung, and several days in the hospital. Guy's been training almost a year for Ironman New Zealand in March. Sucks.

Chris H said:
Wow, what an evening. All in all it ended well. A sprained ligament in the shoulder, road rash from shin to mid thigh on the right leg, as well as the right arm. Probably need a new helmet as well.

It all started innocently enough. I'm trying to use my bike for all my errands, so I rode over to Babies R Us to buy some diapers for my little girl. A Chrome bag will hold an entire case of those by the way... barely. Then the screw for the back fender managed to back out, so I had to pull over on the side of the road to manage a fix. Finally on the road again, flying up to a green light, made a left turn (2 lanes turn left, I was in the middle) and booked it around the corner. A suburban turns at the same time as me, didn't see me and moved over into my lane so I thought, no problem... I'll just shoot up onto the sidewalk and cut across this parking lot. I was taking the next right turn anyway.

Little did I know that the sidewalk/parking lot had expansion cracks that were the exact width as my wheels. At least they were for about 10 feet or so. I gravitated to them like they were a black hole. Next thing I know I'm falling/sliding across the parking lot. I slid about 15-20 feet (I had been booking it around that corner prety good- I'll have to get the data off my GPS to see how fast I was going). Man that sucked.

Anyway, the first thing I did was make sure the bike was ok. Not a scratch on it. I later realized that I held the bike above me as much as I could while I slid. Then I checked myself over. I met up with my wife a few miles down the road and was bleeding pretty good by that time. Went to the ER. Great staff who saw me quickly, cleaned me up well and sent me on my way with extra supplies. I need to send them a letter of thanks.

Now the pains starting to set in, my shoulder is killing me. I checked over the bike again, it looks fine. Just a few scratches on the wheels themselves where they came into contact with the vortex that sucked me under. Luckily the helmet isn't cracked, but it has some good road rash and probably needs to be replaced. My shoes got scarred up pretty good as well.

Hey on the bright side, I got around 20 miles in before this all happened!

·
Tourist
989 Posts
Funny how you handle a crash, holding your bike while you're sliding, and checking on it first.
The few times I've crashed, I went flying, thinking 'damn, this sucks, I'm going to land very bad', then it's a hole mess, bike, arms and legs all over the place. First thing I do after getting up is hurting, and complaining that it hurts, and checking where that blood on the road is coming from. Then I check the bike and notice that I've killed one more wheel, and how am I going to get back home ???

Hope you recover quickly,

Pierre

·
Downhill Juggernaut
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, this morning I hurt. Wow I haven't hurt this bad in a long time. Need to get moving to stretch those muscles and get that stiffness out.

Thing that sucks the most. I think I lost my Forerunner 301 somewhere between the pavement and the ER. I just got off the phone and it hasn't been turned in yet. It will probably never be seen again. Well, I was looking for an excuse to get the new Garmin Edge...

Oh, I forgot to add last night. I'm convinced that my helmet saved me from some serious, serious damage. I remember skidding across the pavement on my head thinking it should hurt more than it did.

·
j-dawg
268 Posts
Wow, that stinks. Cracks can be hell on tires/rims/bikes/riders. Yesterday I was on the bike trail and came up behind a woman and her son on a scooter. They didn't look like they were going to pull to one side so I said 'hi I'll just go around you on the grass'. The problem was there was a pretty good crack between the pavement and the grass because it's been so dry here. I managed to force my front wheel out of the crack in time to not go down but I woke up this morning with a pretty good neck/back ache from whatever gymnastics I did on the bike. I'm sure it looked pretty ridiculous to the lady and her son!

-j

·
Registered
21,509 Posts
A lesson?

When you listen to Effective Cycling instructors, they recommend to avoid the sidewalk at all costs, and the quality of the surface is one reason of many. Sorry about your crash.

·
Downhill Juggernaut
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I don't know about all cost. It was either the sidwalk or going under a suburban. At the time the sidewalk seemed like a pretty good tradeoff. Hindsight being what it is though...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts