Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my brooks b17 tonight and after a little proofhide and polish took it for a spin around the block 15 min. Man that thing is slippery, although I kind of like it that way at least for the brief ride I had with it. My latest saddle was working pretty well, until 1) it got a dent on one side where my sit bones sit and 2) was begining to be uncomfortable at +50 miles. Last summer I rode a flite and it was ok for <60 mi more became painful. The Brooks is pretty hard but I know that it has not been broken in.
I plan on riding it tomorrow for 45 mi (maybe to much on it new????) but I figure the more mi the faster it will break in (ok....i guess tomorrow I will know if that is a good idea).
Hopefully the brooks will allow me to be comfortable eventually on 100 mi rides at least that is my hope.

·
Registered
233 Posts
The Brooks will never get soft, even after 1k miles: that's the point of them. Soft is your chamois. Soft chamois and soft saddle=ouch.
You need to make sure your weight is well balanced between the three contact points. The Brooks lets shift your weight around a little, which is good on long sorties.

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,364 Posts
The nose up suggestion is right on. It keeps you from slipping off the damn thing and banging your tender parts. Beethoven's note about being able to shift yourself around on the Brooks, though, is the complete opposite of what I experienced with the device. I found that the B17 locked me into one precise spot...something that tenderized my nether regions and made me hate the machine even more. As you can see, my B17 experience was not a good one...

·
Registered
233 Posts
Well, maybe the nose-up suggestion is not such a good one, then. Mine is exactly level, and I can move around it (for example when descending). I think the Brooks experience increases with the quality of the shorts you wear, because all the pressure is on the chamois.

·
Non non normal
10,183 Posts
I got home and the Brown Santa had dropped off the box.

Contents

Black B17
Green B17 Special with copper rails
Proofide

I put the black B17 on my commuter rig and greased it up with Proofide. I will start the process of riding and breaking in the saddle tomorrow. I am waiting to see how the first one works before mounting the second saddle on my fixed gear.

·
Registered
681 Posts
love my Brooks

I have 4 Brooks Finnesses(womens saddle style) and I love them. I have two tans one green and a black all of them are in various stages of use. I feel pretty good from the get go. I nose them up if I am just using normal handle bars. If I am using aero bars I level the saddle. I have just started using aero bars for long distances and so far the Brooks plus aero bars work great. Good luck and enjoy your Brooks!

·
Registered
444 Posts
Beethoven said:
Well, maybe the nose-up suggestion is not such a good one, then. Mine is exactly level, and I can move around it (for example when descending). I think the Brooks experience increases with the quality of the shorts you wear, because all the pressure is on the chamois.
interesting. sounds like brooks is not for me, since i dont wear chamois for the commute. i wish there was a 'normal (modern) saddle that was that cool brown leather with rivets.

brooks just look so damn nice.

·
Cheese is my copilot
3,885 Posts
jh_on_the_cape said:
interesting. sounds like brooks is not for me, since i dont wear chamois for the commute. i wish there was a 'normal (modern) saddle that was that cool brown leather with rivets.

brooks just look so damn nice.
FWIW I disagree w/ Beethoven. All saddles work better with chamois. That a Brooks is more comfortable than most WITH chamois means it will be more comfortable than most WITHOUT a chamois as well. So go for it.

And all this talk of Brooks gives me a thread idea since I actually rode that bike in today....

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?p=638391

·
Sticky Valentine
28,415 Posts
Would y'all recommend a Brooks B-17 for a big boy (6'4'', about 260lbs or so) or do you think that might not work out so well?

Also: does the color rub off on your shorts? Looking to get a green one for my fixie.

joe

·
Non non normal
10,183 Posts
JoeDaddio said:
Would y'all recommend a Brooks B-17 for a big boy (6'4'', about 260lbs or so) or do you think that might not work out so well?

Also: does the color rub off on your shorts? Looking to get a green one for my fixie.

joe

I will let you know in a few weeks. I'm in your neighborhood when it comes to size. Check out the thread down the list I posted a while back.

·
Registered
225 Posts
JoeDaddio said:

joe
The reason bike shorts are black was so that when the black seats bled onto the shorts, you couldn't tell. If you ride with black shorts, the green won't be noticeable on the black shorts. If you like white/yellow shorts... you're in trouble.

·
Sticky Valentine
28,415 Posts
simoriah said:
The reason bike shorts are black was so that when the black seats bled onto the shorts, you couldn't tell. If you ride with black shorts, the green won't be noticeable on the black shorts. If you like white/yellow shorts... you're in trouble.
Thanks for the heads up. Unless I'm doing a long ride I wear regular shorts on my fixie to cruise around town on. Hopefully I'll remember not to wear my khaki shorts... unless I want to walk around with a green streak in the seat of my pants :cool:

joe

·
Registered
225 Posts
JoeDaddio said:
Thanks for the heads up. Unless I'm doing a long ride I wear regular shorts on my fixie to cruise around town on. Hopefully I'll remember not to wear my khaki shorts... unless I want to walk around with a green streak in the seat of my pants :cool:
A green streak on your shorts? Someone's going to think you've got one NASTY gastrointestinal bug. :eek:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i think i have found my lifelong friend

I never knew what heaven was until today when I was finally able to get on my new B-17. Nor did I ever imagine that something so hard would be so comfortable. This saddle makes my other saddles seem like torture devices from hell. I used it today on a daunting (at least for my old saddles) task, my 50 mi round trip commute with my loaded backpack. And all I can say is wow what a difference. The 25 mi to work felt like I was floating on a cloud, although the real test was the ride home due south 25 mi into a 20 mph south wind (hammering in the saddle for 90 min). it did not dissappoint.
I cant wait till it gets broken in.
As far as setup I just leveled the nose (probably need to raise it a bit but not much) and set it as far forward as the bracket on the seatpost would let me (looked about right) it was close I think almost felt a little to much forward but at the same time it felt pretty good (can just barely see the nose when hammering). might move it but maybe not. the only time it felt a little different was when I went to the drops....no pain or discomfort just felt slight pressure on the perinium (may just need to get used to)

All I have to say is nothing compares and the saddle is not even broken in.....
cant wait to see how it does on 50-100 mi rides without added backpack weight

·
Non non normal
10,183 Posts
toomanybikes said:
My De Rosa got a new friend yesterday too .....

I now have Brooks saddles ( Team Pro's, B17's and Swift ) on 7 bikes.

They are the best.

You need to yank those pics and put them in the Brooks photo thread. Nice shots.

·
Registered
444 Posts
wooglin said:
FWIW I disagree w/ Beethoven. All saddles work better with chamois. That a Brooks is more comfortable than most WITH chamois means it will be more comfortable than most WITHOUT a chamois as well. So go for it.

And all this talk of Brooks gives me a thread idea since I actually rode that bike in today....

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?p=638391
how do you choose which brooks? for a surly cross check commuter/road rider. B17?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.