Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... and here she is. If the weather cooperates I'll take her on an inaugural ride tomorrow.
Thank you all for the wonderful support.

... the actual builb

·
Adrenalina Italiana
987 Posts
true example of a no nonsense build......

a two beer build at that. Congratulations on the new steed equipped with a great choice of components. Definately looks the business,enjoy!

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,260 Posts
Fantastic. Terrific. Its excellence is almost scientific. Enjoy it.

·
rock n rolling resistance
851 Posts
SPINDAWG said:
a two beer build at that. Congratulations on the new steed equipped with a great choice of components. Definately looks the business,enjoy!
I've learned no more than 3 brews for $1000+ frame build...

Nice pix... even the work stand and the art work on the wall go nicely with the frame color scheme...

btw what's with the yellow tape(?) around the crank arm?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
6was9 said:
I've learned no more than 3 brews for $1000+ frame build...

Nice pix... even the work stand and the art work on the wall go nicely with the frame color scheme...

btw what's with the yellow tape(?) around the crank arm?
The yellow tape is a warning label that came with the crank. and I agree, no more than three.

·
Registered
34 Posts
With a paint job like that, go with a bottle of wine, fantastic! What bar and stem are you using? Like the shape of the bars, but do not recognize them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
GW1 said:
With a paint job like that, go with a bottle of wine, fantastic! What bar and stem are you using? Like the shape of the bars, but do not recognize them.
The stem is a Deda Newton and the bar is a Kestrel EMP PRO - I like its subtle ergonomic shape... not too exaggerated.

Thanks for the kind remarks... I do enjoy wine just as much as I do beer (which seemed appropriate for such a task at the time...)

Cheers!

·
Registered
712 Posts
congrats on the new ride, i have just built up a close relative, more to come, watch for pics.

please offer up some ride impressions, if youre initial impressions are like mine they will be strong!

bsalami said:
... and here she is. If the weather cooperates I'll take her on an inaugural ride tomorrow.
Thank you all for the wonderful support.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
odeum said:
congrats on the new ride, i have just built up a close relative, more to come, watch for pics.

please offer up some ride impressions, if youre initial impressions are like mine they will be strong!
Definitely will. unfortunately it snowed last weekend (SLC, UT) and it's pretty chilly right now. Hopefully it'll warm up in a week or so. Then, impressions are in order.

Cheers

·
Registered
137 Posts
Great bike. Super nice paint job!

Mike from Maestro told me last week that my C50 has arrived. No word yet if he has shipped it. I hope I will be getting the tracking # soon! I haven't been this giddy since I was a kid on X-mas eve. I got the PR10 paint job. It was a tough call though and I definitely like yours too. I just hope work quiets down a little so I have some time to build and ride it after it arrives.

Be sure and give us your ride thoughts.

·
Registered
727 Posts
bsalami, where did you get the bike? It has to be Maestro or an older frame, as that paint scheme has been discontinued for 2006, although it is still available on the Active.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Clevor said:
bsalami, where did you get the bike? It has to be Maestro or an older frame, as that paint scheme has been discontinued for 2006, although it is still available on the Active.
This is a 2004 model. I got it from a friend who bought it in 05 brand new and only rode it for about 400 miles and he just upfgraded to the Extreme C. The frame literally looks brand new - got the frame for $2,200 (a very fair deal).

Thanks

·
Registered
137 Posts
My C50 arrived and is almost completely built. Can't wait to get out and ride it.....if only the weather would cooperate. Oh well, I guess I need to start getting it dirty!

I built it up with Dura Ace. I honestly think it would look a little nicer and be more "authentic" with Record; however, I am used to Dura Ace and the shifters work well with my hands.

I have been riding a Merckx Team SC from 2003 which has been a great bike but I am a pretty light guy and just wanted a super comfortable bike to do long and fast recreational riding around the San Francisco bay area. I have the Sea Otter century next weekend and will give ride impressions after that.

Here are some pictures:

View attachment 48706

View attachment 48707

View attachment 48708

·
RoadBikeReview Member
162 Posts
Seatpost?

Nice ride. Is that a new full CF seatpost from Colnago - that is the bulk head is not Al?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Thanks tmluk.

I was wondering if anyone was going to comment on the new post. The post is manufactured by Selcof and the head is Al not carbon fiber. It is very similar to the Eddy Merckx post I have which is also made by Selcof. I wish the graphics were a little more subtle on the post especially since I have them half buried in the seat tube. Oh well, it is not a big deal and I am very happy with the way it turned out.

RIDE IMPRESSIONS!
Ok, I know I said I would wait until after the weekend but I thought I would give some initial impressions. Great ride. Even though this bike is only about a half pound lighter than my Merckx, it feels significantly lighter. It seems as though I have an extra gear on all types of terrain with the C50. I have not leaned it over too much yet but the handling feels similar to my Merckx and is very stable and a little on the slow side (in a good way and still a little quicker and more lively than the Merckx). The ride is plenty stiff for my 145 lbs but definitely takes the edge off of bumps. On any given bump the difference in compliance between the Merckx and the C50 is noticeable; however, what is amazing is how much less "beat up" I felt after my first ride. That dull lower back pain and stiffness I normally get was much reduced on the C50. This bike should be perfect for centuries. I am sure there are other bikes with similar rides (the Look 585 comes to mind) but the Colnago has an intangible mystique that has managed to cured my bike lust. Or at least I hope it is cured since I will not be able to afford another bike for a long time!

One last note: I have to say that Masetro bikes really did do an outstanding job. I was a little worried about spending that much money on a bike I could not see from an overseas vendor. The wait also nearly killed me. However, from all that I have read and my own experience, it is clearly the best way to purchase a Colnago (assuming you know enough about what geometry and size you want).

Cheers

·
Registered
282 Posts
FWIW...i got a C40 about 3 years ago and i haven't really lusted after a bike since.

and i agree...the maestro ROCKS!

·
l'illustre sconosciuto
321 Posts
cotocalicyclist said:
One last note: I have to say that Maestro really did do an outstanding job. I was a little worried about spending that much money on a bike I could not see from an overseas vendor. The wait also nearly killed me. However, from all that I have read and my own experience, it is clearly the best way to purchase a Colnago (assuming you know enough about what geometry and size you want).
Don't get sucked in by all the hype about Maestro! As I have written before: Mike is not an official Colnago dealer and cannot therefore offer an official 'Colnago warranty', has absolutely no direct ties to Colnago, cannot get any frames custom painted in Italy and does not offer the most attractive prices either. No matter how you look at it, there is always a better solution to Maestro.

Mike purchases all of his frames through continental European supply channels. His custom paint frames are supplied by the Belgium Colnago distributor, who gets naked frames from Italy and does their own paint. If you have any doubts about the veracity of this point, just send the serial number of your 'custom Maestro' paintjob to Colnago. They will confirm that the frame went through Belgium. The warranty that you are getting is completely offered by Mike and his supply chain. Nobody else, including Colnago, will stand up for the warranty. Colnago can sidestep any responsibility because of the non-official nature of supply. They can claim that the compulsory 2-year European Union warranty does not apply as it was sold outside of the EU and that the US purchaser was not effectively the original owner (this would be Mike!) Personally, I believe that within reason, one should accept to use the official channels set up by the manufacturer, hence through authorized US dealers. I can however understand why somebody would be enticed to look at parallel supply channels (I haven't bought any of mine through official US dealers) as it seems that many people are convinced that both better prices and service are available elsewhere. What I don't understand, is why anybody would buy through an unauthorized dealer like Mike, when you could get just as good a price and service (if not even better!) when you buy from an authorized continental dealer. Just go onto Colnago's website and dig out the contact details of the authorized European dealers and get your offer. I know plenty of people who have purchased a bike in Italy from an official dealer and saved enough over the Maestro price to pay for a flight over to pick up the bike in person. Remember, when comparing the Italian dealer's price, that you are entitled to get a refund of almost the complete VAT (16.6% of the retail price) when you export the bike. You are also entitled to claim a customs duty exemption when arriving in the US on the first $800 of the value if you personally transport the bike. I also know of people who bought an Extreme C frame in France close to 6 months before the first deliveries to shops in the US! Lastly, any special paint job that Mike supplies to you can also be had from any Belgian dealer.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts