Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got pedals and shoes (some sidi zeta meshes...they're dreamy), but the cleats (Look style) keep moving around. I feel like i'm tightening them as much as I can, but every time that I disengage, the cleats move around a little.

Is this typical? Does it require a few tightenings after several engagings?

thanks.

those sidis are really sexy...never thought i'd have this sort of attraction to a shoe

·
Registered
21,831 Posts
Shorter bolts?

mikejungle said:
Ithe cleats (Look style) keep moving around. I feel like i'm tightening them as much as I can, but every time that I disengage, the cleats move around a little. Is this typical? Does it require a few tightenings after several engagings?
A common cause of this problem is that the bolts are too long and are bottomed out and therefore cannot be fully tightened against the cleat. Also, make sure the cleat bolt threads are greased so that you are getting the full torque applied. If that is not the issue, then head to your local hardware store and get some stair tread grip stuff - it's like sandpaper on one side and pressure sensitive adhesive on the other. Cut it to match your cleat and stick it to the cleat so that the sandpaper side is against the shoe sole.

·
Registered
464 Posts
mikejungle said:
I just got pedals and shoes (some sidi zeta meshes...they're dreamy), but the cleats (Look style) keep moving around. I feel like i'm tightening them as much as I can, but every time that I disengage, the cleats move around a little.[/quote

Use a light coating of automotive silicone on your cleats and your shoes, and then assemble them. It peels away easily in the future without chemicals. Then use some locktite on your threaded fasteners, and don't over tighten the fasteners, or you'll warp your cleats.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
Try putting a couple of strips of friction tape on the soles where the cleats will be placed.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
A common cause of this problem is that the bolts are too long and are bottomed out and therefore cannot be fully tightened against the cleat. Also, make sure the cleat bolt threads are greased so that you are getting the full torque applied. If that is not the issue, then head to your local hardware store and get some stair tread grip stuff - it's like sandpaper on one side and pressure sensitive adhesive on the other. Cut it to match your cleat and stick it to the cleat so that the sandpaper side is against the shoe sole.
This one makes the most sense...

·
Registered
381 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
I had the same problem a few weeks ago with my new Specialized Pro Road Carbon shoes and my Look Delta style cleats. I used 3M stair grip tape on the bottom of the cleats as Kerry Irons suggests and the problem was solved. Not more cleat slipping.

Later,

Jay B.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.