Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
They went on much easier than I thought they would based on some reviews I read online. Nice looking tires. They replaced the stock Kendas on my new SE Lager. 700x28 is the size of the stock tires AND the Ultra Gatorskins. I noticed a smoother ride with the Gatorskins. Perhaps the extra rubber is absorbing road vibrations. I did not notice any extra weight or resistance, but I'm sure they weighed a little more than the stock tires. Those Kendas were scary thin/light. Riding here in Chicago they would have lasted a month, tops.

I'll try to report back on how well they perform and hold-up. Maybe I should write a review...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the tip. Will do.

Can you suggest any alternative tires that still offer good puncture resistance and have stronger sidewalls? 700x28 size preferred. So when I replace these I know what to look for?

·
Still waiting......
1,322 Posts
Sorry, not much help on that one. One option is the Specialized Armadillo, but it doesn't ride nearly as well as the GatorSkin.

I've had good luck with Vittoria Rubino Pros, but I'm not sure they come in a 28, and I don't think they're quite as puncture resistant as the GatorSkins. I've heard rumblings of some Schwalbe touring type tires that might work too. Actually touring type tires are probably the way to go. (Yes I'm rambling)

GatorSkins are good tires. My recommendation is to put in tons of mileage so you wear them out before the sidewalls have a chance to dry out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
UPDATE: Went on a longer ride the other day and while I was over by the zoo, I encountered some of that really tiny gravel, and one of the bigger pieces dug deep into my front tire and stuck. I watched it rotate a few times on the tire without falling off so I pulled over and pulled it out and it was sharp as hell! Like a little tiny arrowhead... I didn't get a flat, so my new tires just saved the day because the cheapy stock Kenda's they replaced would have been toast.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.