Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
off the back
15,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my new Mondonico Futura Leggero has arrived in the country and is awaiting paint. one of the last frames Antonio has built before retiring. custom fit, chrome fork and right chainstay, 1.5 cm headtube extension.

gonna go with Torelli's stock green color with yellow decals. similar to this one.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Very nice bike, my friend. Beautiful color scheme, if you do choose it!

·
Bike Dude
986 Posts
Nice addition

Sad that the senior Mondonico is retiring but thank the Italian brazing and pinning gods his sons are fully capable of carrying on in his place. You are one lucky guy.

·
merckxman
2,116 Posts
Is his son Mauro continuing the business?

Or, they're not going to be more Mondonico's?

rufus said:
my new Mondonico Futura Leggero has arrived in the country and is awaiting paint. one of the last frames Antonio has built before retiring. custom fit, chrome fork and right chainstay, 1.5 cm headtube extension.

gonna go with Torelli's stock green color with yellow decals. similar to this one.

·
off the back
15,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
from what i was told by Bill of Torelli, and Mauro Mondonico, the demand for frames built by the Mondonicos just isn't there anymore, in large part due to the falling dollar that makes them more expensive, that they just can't stay busy enough to make it worth their while to continue building. Bill said that he thought they would be happy to continue builkding frames, but the above-mentioned stuff just didn't make it worth their while. i'm sure there may be more to it than that, but i assume that they have overhead, supply costs, etc, that, for the number of frames they end up building, it just gets to be a wash in the end. everyone today wants the latest and greatest, carbon fiber and high tech, not old-fashioned lugged steel. and those that do want steel, there are chgeaper options available because of the weak dollar.

I assumed as well, that even if Antonio retired, since he is at that age, that Mauro would simply continue building the Mondonico line, but that isn't the case. i've heard, but have no confirming evidence, that the Mondonico name will be licensed out to another framebuilder, who will continue building frames under that name. but to me, they won't be real Mondonicos, just as Masi is no longer the real Masi which is kinda why i orderd this one, i didn't really need it. but to have one of the last frames he ever builds..........

personally, i'd have been much happier if Torelli had simply chosen to find another small Italian framebuilder in which to market his frames, much like they did with Mondonico. but the cost of doing so, of building a market for a totally unknown name, would probably be too prohibitive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts