Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a road bike (Klein Quantum Race) and a mountain bike (Redline Monocog 29er). I’d like to get another bike (Surly Cross Check?), but the mrs. won’t be happy. :cryin: So, to keep the peace in the home, I’ll probably have to give up one bike in order to get a CX bike. I really love the Klein. It’s a 99 and love the stiffness and the cool color. I also love the Monocog 29er. It’s a sweet bike and love the 29er/rigid/SS set up. I take it regularly up the local trails and have lots of fun (during riding season). But if I had to give up one, it’ll probably be the Monocog, as I can't bear to part with the Klein...

So my main question is, if I replace the Monocog with a CX bike, how will it do on a regular mtn bike trail? Maybe if I throw some stout 29er rims on it? (will I need to go disc if I need to switch back and forth between the two rims?) I love the rigid set up, so the CX bike being rigid doesn’t bother me. I just wanted to know if it will be tough enough to replace my mountain bike. I live in the rockies and most of the trails around me have lots of rocks. And Moab is 3 hours from me. Oh, and I plan to attend a lot of CX races this year. The season isn’t till October, so I have lots of time for training.

And just a list of requirements for the CX bike:
- Steel
- Plenty of tire clearance for fatties
- Can be easily set up as singlespeed or geared.

I believe the Cross Check fits the bill nicely for the above criteria.

Thanks for any input, and sorry for the noobie question.

EDIT: Oh, and I realize that I can use the Monocog as the CX bike, but I'd like the ability to run gears at times, so that rules that out (no, I don't want to ghetto-rig).

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
I think the CrossCheck can take anything the MC29 can take with the same size tires. Not sure what the largest tire the CrossCheck can take, but if it is a 2.1" you should be fine on just about anything.

29ers and CX bikes (and road bikes) all use the same size rim (700C).

·
Registered
299 Posts
The cross check is a good all-rounder, but if you ride technical singletrack you will probably not be too happy with it. If you're mostly riding buff singletrack, then its great because it can take 700x45 tires (roughly 1.8) so you can definitely squeeze fatter rubber in there than most CX bikes, but if you want bigger than that its not the right frame for the job. You might consider a Vassago fisticuff or something similar to that- it can take true 2.1 tires but still has CX (albeit really relaxed) style geometry. It really boils down to what you will use it for more often. Dont get me wrong, I have a cross-check and take it on some pretty rough singletrack and don't worry about the frame (more worried about flatting), but for all-day MTB rides Im much more comfortable on my el Mariachi.

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
Min. tire size requirements to ride the terrain is a worthy consideration. I am just as happy on my DoubleCross as I was on my Karate Monkey except that the DC can't take larger than a 44C rear tire.

Then again, I would rather *****foot certain trails on a CX bike than race CX on a 29er.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So basically, you guys are saying buying a CX bike and keeping the other two are going to be worth the week or so in the doghouse. Hmm......

Another thought, which I really didn't want to think about, was to sell the Klein, as it seems that a CX bike can handle road and CX better than CX and mountain. Oh, man, I really hate the thought of selling that Klein.......

Thanks for the info, guys.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I ended up doing something similar to what you are contemplating- I had a Klein Aura that I sold to fund a Vicious cross bike, and rode the Vicious as my only road/cross frame for a few years. While I never felt like I would win a crit on it, it rides really well on the road so definitely fit the dual purpose role. I just recently re-added a road race bike into the mix so I could start crit racing again and not get funny looks. Purely a vanity issue and not a functional one, though. Figure it this way- you can always fit skinny tires on a cross bike but you cant fit cross tires on most road bikes. Just my .02.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
dankilling said:
added a road race bike into the mix so I could start crit racing again and not get funny looks.
Does this mean that I may actually have a team mate in some of the crits I do over your way?:p

·
Registered
271 Posts
October = Road bike, XC MTB, DJ MTB, 24" BMX
November = Road, all dirt bikes sold to finance CX bike
Decmeber = Road bike, brand new CX
Jan & Feb = Ultra happy
March = Love my CX, Really really really miss my dirt bikes.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
At least you're big enough that I actually can get a draft off you:)

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
dankilling said:
I ended up doing something similar to what you are contemplating- I had a Klein Aura that I sold to fund a Vicious cross bike, and rode the Vicious as my only road/cross frame for a few years. While I never felt like I would win a crit on it, it rides really well on the road so definitely fit the dual purpose role. I just recently re-added a road race bike into the mix so I could start crit racing again and not get funny looks. Purely a vanity issue and not a functional one, though. Figure it this way- you can always fit skinny tires on a cross bike but you cant fit cross tires on most road bikes. Just my .02.
Very true. Thanks for the insight. I will definitely petition for all three bikes, but maybe the Klein will need to go.

Durt said:
October = Road bike, XC MTB, DJ MTB, 24" BMX
November = Road, all dirt bikes sold to finance CX bike
Decmeber = Road bike, brand new CX
Jan & Feb = Ultra happy
March = Love my CX, Really really really miss my dirt bikes.
Which makes me want to keep my MTN and road bike even more. Financially, it makes sense to keep them both, right? Since it will be more expensive to replace it later on.

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
I am guessing that the Klein will be a lot harder to replace than the MC29 if you have regrets down the road (pun intended).

Budget full-rigid 29ers are already crazy inexpensive.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
palu said:
I really love the Klein. [...] I also love the Monocog 29er.
Never sell a bike you love. You'll regret it.

If you can put away $200 per month between now and October, you can buy a $1400 cross bike. If you can't, you can't afford it.

Just my 2c.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Great. You'll be skinnier than me...

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.