Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here is my new FORT Ro Uno for your viewing pleasure. Many thanks to bdc88 for his contribution with a lot of parts for this build.

54cm FORT Ro Uno
Chris King 1" Nothreadset
Formula Hubs/Alex Rims
Shimano Freewheel
On One Midge Bar
On One High Rise Stem
Tektro Brakes
Sugino 42 Chain Ring
Ultegra Crank Arms/FSA MegaExo BB
Conti Touring 32c tires
Fizik Arione
Speedplay Light Action Cromoly
Thomson Elite

Don't flame me about the spacers. I have black on order from the bike shop.

Happy Father's Day

· Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Need some technical help

Dave Hickey said:
Wow.. That is too cool...Great component selection and a VERY nice looking frame....
Dave,

I took her out on the maiden voyage today and everything was fine until I had to climb a big hill and really put some torque on the cranks. My rear wheel shifted and locked up against the left chain stay almost causing me to crash. Since this bike was designed with horizontal dropouts, I adjusted the rear wheel to fit the length of the KNC chain I had, instead of pushing the wheel all the way to the front of the dropouts, and shortening the chain to take out any slack. What do you recommend to keep the rear wheel from moving around in horizontal dropout frame?

Thanks,

TBro

· Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Need some technical help

Dave Hickey said:
Wow.. That is too cool...Great component selection and a VERY nice looking frame....
Dave,

I took her out on the maiden voyage today and everything was fine until I had to climb a big hill and really put some torque on the cranks. My rear wheel shifted and locked up against the left chain stay almost causing me to crash. Since this bike was designed with horizontal dropouts, I adjusted the rear wheel to fit the length of the KNC chain I had, instead of pushing the wheel all the way to the front of the dropouts, and shortening the chain to take out any slack. What do you recommend to keep the rear wheel from moving around in horizontal dropout frame?

Thanks,

TBro

· The web is a MUT
1,380 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
I've never has a problem with slippage... I just make sure the axle nuts are real tight.... If you still experience slippage than a chain tug, as Fred suggested, will solve the problem
I run a chaintug on the drive side of my Fillmore, I like the MKS ones more than the more flamboyant ones, mine has the allen screw instead of the hex bolt like this one

imagelinked from https://www.businesscycles.com/graphics/tools_chaintug10mm-a.jpg

Here is a more flamboyant option
https://www.surlybikes.com/parts/images/parts_btn_tuggnutOn.jpg

· Done
4,591 Posts
I Love My Fort...

I too have an Orange Uno (say THAT ten times real fast...). Nice bike. Beefy. I've been commuting on mine for about a year, and the powdercoat is holding up nicely to the slings and arrows of DC traffic.

The workmanship is excellent for the price. The frame is straight as an arrow, with only a little detail work (there was a burr in the seat tube that would have gouged my seatpost) to put right. I read somewhere that they do contract work for a number of high-end Italian frame shops. I ordered mine from the US distributor in Arizona -- www.fortbicycles.com.

I suspect that the UNO is an older road frame rejiggered with track fork ends out back. The dropouts are spaced 126mm, and the steel fork has eyelets for fenders. The seatstay brace is drilled for a rear brake but, like the Surly Steamroller, there are no brazeons for brake cables.

Mine is built up with silver IRO hubs laced up with black Deep Vees (3x out back, 2x up front). The rest is a mish-mash of parts, capped off with a tasty Brooks Team Pro saddle.

· Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
treebound said:
I run a chaintug on the drive side of my Fillmore, I like the MKS ones more than the more flamboyant ones, mine has the allen screw instead of the hex bolt like this one

imagelinked from https://www.businesscycles.com/graphics/tools_chaintug10mm-a.jpg

Here is a more flamboyant option
https://www.surlybikes.com/parts/images/parts_btn_tuggnutOn.jpg

Well, after calling around to all of the bike stores in the area, my regular shop came through for me with some black DMR Chain Tugs. I installed them tonight and took it out for a little test run. No worries here. That wheel isn't moving. My first commute is tomorrow. Any fender ideas? I was going to try the Speedez Road version of the Planet Bike fenders, but they say they can only handle tires up to 28mm. I am using 32mm. Has anyone tried these with a bigger tire than a 28mm?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.