Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
i like whiskey
8,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
From Excel, I picked up a pair of Mavic MA3 rims laced to 36 hole Suzue track hubs (flip-flop in the rear). 14ga spokes laced 3x. The track hubs are on sale for $24 rear and $19 front in the fixed/ss section. Should be here within 1 week.

Next on the list will be a BB and crankset and a gearing decision. Pictures to come in the not too distant future.

J.

Sorry, minor price correction on hubs $27 and $20

·
Registered
152 Posts
For gear selection, i chose what i thought was reasonable on my geared bike and then
taped a bottle top to the shifter to *remind* me not to shift and then did several rides to
see if it was actually a feasible gear. then a trip to http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gears/
gave me a conversion for what chainring/cog i would need to duplicate it on the fixed.

i've heard excellent things about Excels wheels, good luck with the new bike and
don't forget to pedal! hehe..

·
Done
4,509 Posts
That will be a nice wheelset --

innergel said:
From Excel, I picked up a pair of Mavic MA3 rims laced to 36 hole Suzue track hubs (flip-flop in the rear). 14ga spokes laced 3x. The track hubs are on sale for $24 rear and $19 front in the fixed/ss section. Should be here within 1 week.

Next on the list will be a BB and crankset and a gearing decision. Pictures to come in the not too distant future.

J.

Sorry, minor price correction on hubs $27 and $20

I have a similar set up on my current fixie. The only thing that I can suggest is to pack the hubs full of grease before you use them or, at minimum, make sure that the cones are adjusted properly. My set came very tight (i.e., lots of effort to turn the axle) and with a very light coating of grease. The Suzue hub isn't sealed very well, so packing it chock full of grease is one way to keep moisture out of it, at least for a little while.

·
Diesel Engine
898 Posts
Just got some too from Excel....

In fact I just opened the boxes tonight. Surly double fixed track hub, veloce front hub, DT 14/15 laced 3x to MA3's. Excel builds great wheels. Can't wait to get out in the next few weeks as soon as the rest of the bike is complete.

They quoted me $130 for the wheelset with the Suzues, but I couldn't stay away from that Surly hub, plus I wanted a QR front wheel and the Veloce hub was only $20.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts