Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
smell my finger
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just ordered a new 54cm 2011 Kona Jake the Snake. Will swap the wheelset for a open pro cd with ultegra hubs for a few dollars more but I thought it would be worth it. Will be used for training CX and commuting and I hope to give a race or two a try. LBS told me it won't be here until October though, bummer.. Had to give up my road bike to my son so he could train for MTB in college so all is good.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
Scandium is an additive used in small amounts in aluminum. It's supposed to increase yield strength without changing the other behaviors of the metal. In practice, it means they can use less material, so the frame is lighter and a little more forgiving. I suspect the difference is visible on a scale, but that by the time you've got the bike built up with fat, low-pressure tires, there's no difference in ride feel.

·
smell my finger
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Aluminum probably cheaper otherwise it would be scandium but I'm no expert. Good all around bike, I may put some different crank rings on it to ride on the road and will look into that soon. Not sure but was thinking about a 52-38 in the front but without researching prices I may sway a little. Front crank is an FSA so rings should be reasonable.

·
Registered
689 Posts
awe man

they changed the sizing a bit...big jump from 56cm to a 59cm (no more 58)...there's a 61cm now too...i'm sure Trebon's happy.

·
smell my finger
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When are the 2011 Kona cross bikes going to hit the streets, LBS told me October. That would stink bad if I raced cross.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts