Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· hello
Joined
·
3,395 Posts
Very nice!

I've been using this home made unit for the last 15 years. I've pressed all kinds of headsets with this including C.King headsets.
 

· Shirtcocker
Joined
·
60,886 Posts
azoomm said:
Park Tool HHP-2. I'mma gonna be pressin' the sh!t out of headsets in a couple of days.



Represent.
How often do you have to press headsets to make something like that worth the purchase price? I can't recall the last time I had to replace a headset.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
5,238 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
How often do you have to press headsets to make something like that worth the purchase price? I can't recall the last time I had to replace a headset.
... not trying to brag (ok, just a bit) but since I do my own maintenance and own about 20 bikes, this, along with a crown race puller were justifiable in the past... course, with newer integrated headsets, the need for such is dimming just a bit...

It comes under the heading of
a: the right tool for the job and...
b: I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it

I suspect that I've not used mine since 2003 but since I still have a large fleet of traditional headsets I'll prolly have use for it in the future
 

· Climbin' Clyde
Joined
·
856 Posts
Nice... I've been too cheap

been using the $3 home brew vershun like Roadfix, and have been using it for years without problem. The nice bonus with the Park tool are the stepped cups fit for specific headset sizes. If you use allthread rod and washers you need to pay attention aligning the cups in the HT as you begin to press.

Cane Creek has a headset with a stepped O.D. that would seem to make things simpler in that regard.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
12,593 Posts
I bought one last year and have used it on 3 bikes so far, with probably a 4th this winter coming up. The reason I bought all the headset tools is because they are the only thing I didn't have and needed to use an LBS for. I was fine with that, until my LBS scratched the fork to my Colnago Cristallo. Honestly, if anybody is going to scratch the frame, I'd prefer that it be me. It wasn't a terrible scratch (i.e., it was only the first coat of clear and it was only 2 inches long by 4mm wide), but a scratch nonetheless. On top of that, they didn't match up the Chris King logos on the top and bottom cups. I'm anal. Oh yeah, and then I had to hear a bunch of grief about buying the frame overseas even though I was paying them for the headset and the headset installation, and I was treated like crap after that too. Essentially, I bought all of it so that I don't have to deal with a LBS anymore.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bocephus Jones II said:
How often do you have to press headsets to make something like that worth the purchase price? I can't recall the last time I had to replace a headset.
My new mountain frame should be here within a week, my new road frame should be in the first quarter of '09, and my wife should be getting a new road frame by the end of the year (and maybe a new mountain frame, too).

Being that I worked at a bike shop for about 10 years through undergrad and grad school, this is basically the only tool that I don't have, and I had to go to a shop for the last few bikes I had (which is painful). This way, I don't have to "bro up" the bike shop guys, and I can be sure that the headset is installed exactly as I want it.

Did I mention not having to rely on a bike shop? After all, it's only about $100, and if you dollar-cost average the four (minimum) times that I use it (above), it's $25 per time. Between driving to the bike shop, getting "worked in", and having to bite my tongue when the "professional" is doing his work, it's more than worth it.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
CurbDestroyer said:
What about one of the great tools in the "Ham Fisted" mechanic. A hammer and wood block . . . It's usually next to the vice grips and channel Locks.
That was my method of installing the head bearings in my Cannondale Killer V when I got it in '94 (I think). Not much progress was made, and that was due to the fact that I didn't have the cups when I got the frame. I'm lucky that I didn't fcuk anything up, as the bearings would never have fit. But goddammit... I tried and tried!
 

· eminence grease
Joined
·
18,559 Posts
I bought one early in my bike building career and I've used it probably 30 or more times between builds and re-builds.

For me it was simple - spend $100 on something that inspires confidence in doing a task that generally scares the heck out of me. Money well spent (for me anyway) if it makes the build more enjoyable.

Watch the fat part of your fingers though, it can be a pinch hazard when moving the bushings up and down.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
8,000 Posts
azoomm said:
Park Tool HHP-2. I'mma gonna be pressin' the sh!t out of headsets in a couple of days.



Represent.
Get the same basic thing from Performance for $75 before a coupon!

With more and more road bikes using Intregrated HS, these become less needed. Though my SCOYY issues the internal pressed type. I have the Spin Doctor one from Performance and it work great!
 

· Registered
Joined
·
8,000 Posts
Akirasho said:
... not trying to brag (ok, just a bit) but since I do my own maintenance and own about 20 bikes, this, along with a crown race puller were justifiable in the past... course, with newer integrated headsets, the need for such is dimming just a bit...

It comes under the heading of
a: the right tool for the job and...
b: I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it

I suspect that I've not used mine since 2003 but since I still have a large fleet of traditional headsets I'll prolly have use for it in the future
20 bikes?? My God! :eek:
 

· Registered
Joined
·
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
DIRT BOY said:
Get the same basic thing from Performance for $75 before a coupon!

With more and more road bikes using Intregrated HS, these become less needed. Though my SCOYY issues the internal pressed type. I have the Spin Doctor one from Performance and it work great!
Yeah, but it just pains me to purchase anything Performance-branded. I know that with the 20% off coupon, it would have been cheaper, but I've used the Park one countless times, and that's what I'm used to. And until steel bikes use integrated headsets, this should be useful.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top