Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have ridden a fixie for fun/training a while back. I converted my giordana frame back to a 12 speed friction shift for a commuter work horse. Now I want my fixie fix back. I just ordered an SE PB frame from Ben's for $350 delivered. I love the lugged details of the frame.

My question is what is the concern of the of the JIS headset? I read a different post and there was a concern that it was a different design that the norm? Does this mean I have only one choice for a headset or a fork?

I figure with the parts I currently have at home I should be able to complete this build for another $75, so I am not too worried about the investment. I just want a bike that I can short or long rides on and just plain knock around on. Any insights from current PB riders would be appreciated.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the quick replay.

I will assume that the HS that comes with the frame is very economy. Should I consider upgrading during the initial build? I love the look of the Tange Levin but why spend it if it isn't necessary. I am the type of rider that would notice a poor quality HS, my current rides have Chris King.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
asterisk said:
Just pack it with grease if you pull the fork off and ride it until it explodes, then buy another. You won't see huge gains by replacing right away.
Exactly what I was thinking. Perfect. Thanks.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yea, the threaded HS didn't bother me because I have a quill stem and drop bars currently to use on this build. Being a road cyclist at heart I think I will stick with the road bike theme.

I thought that the frame had some nice details. I saw the Kona Paddy Wagon a buddy bought and I didn't like the look. I am partial to a vintage themed road bike.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I wanted to drop a quick note to anybody listening (or reading) that this is a nice frame and fork for $350 delivered. It has very nice lugs and tapered seat stays. The fork is marginal. The seat clamp and H2O bolts were included also. The HS was a little too tight but I adjusted it out okay. I put my old parts on it, bought a $20 used 105 front rim from LBS. I test rode it without brakes to my buddy's house. It rides very nice!

I have some adjustments to make yet but I think if you want to build a basic fixie this seems to be a good start. I don't understand why benscycle.com still has some these, I would have thought that they would sell out quick. I will post a couple pictures after I finish it up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts