Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was tired of walking funny using my road style shoes with Look 396 pedals. Generally I don't walk much but I've seen so many more riders with the recessed SPD style shoes allowing them to be able to walk much more comfortably. So I'm trying the M530 pedal with Diodora Team Racer shoes which have the recessed SPD cleat. Last night I attached the pedals and tried out the shoes. However I noticed a lot of foot movement while clipped in. All screws were tightened properly and the pedals tightened to highest tension for clipping out.

My question is there supposed to be that much foot movement with these style of pedals and cleats?

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
Are you using the SM-SH56 cleat (silver)? It's engraved onto the face of the cleat.

This cleat is a multi-release cleat and will feel like it has a lot of float.

If that's what you're using, then try the SM-SH51 cleat (black).

Look cleats come in three "float flavors": Black (0 degree), Gray (4.5 degree), and Red (9 degree). I believe the Shimano cleats are 8 degrees of float.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,554 Posts
Try SM-SH70 for "less" float.........(zero float)

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
The SM-SH70 cleat is made for the old Shimano road SPD pedal-the pedal Lance won the World Pro Road Race on, in '93 I think. It's not compatible with the SPD off-road pedals. Sure; it works, but release is unreliable.

I know this because I run these cleats on my road pedals. Using them on my off-road pedals is frustrating.

·
Banned
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm reading on some ebay items (because I can find info on them faster there) that SM-SH56 cleats have 0 deg of float, the SM-SH51 has 4 deg of float, and SM-SH52 6 deg of float. The only thing I know about my cleat is that they are black and came in the box with the pedals. So I'm going to go home and see which ones I have and report back.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
My question is there supposed to be that much foot movement with these style of pedals and cleats?
Since you're just coming off old-style Look pedals, there's a good chance you're mistaking ease of float with amount of float. With old-style Look pedals, there's a lot of frictional resistance to foot rotation. Once you get used to that, changing to a pedal that has much less resistance to foot rotation can make you feel like there's much more float even though there isn't in terms of degrees.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
FWIW: I prefer a lot of float. I use Look road pedals/cleats with float and also MTB with float. I feel this allows my foot to assume it's natural angle (which differs between seated and standing) rather than be artificially constrained by the pedal/cleat.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.