Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Dirty. Nerdy. Unemployed.
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While coming back home from campus...

:idea: He was going downhill coming around the corner on the wrong side of the road

We did that little dance where we don't know which way to turn to avoid each other, clipped him on the shoulder and spun down. Bike's fine, I'm mostly perfectly fine (a couple numb fingers inhibit my typing though). Definately not a place where I expected to get hit though.

I discovered I'm not an angry person, because it was entirely his fault, but I didn't do any yelling, cursing or anything.

This is why I differentiate between 'guys on a bike' and 'cyclists' when I'm talking to my friends - cyclists are generally responible and know what they're doing, guys on bikes though, are a whole 'nother story.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,426 Posts
How bad did you hurt him when you intersected?

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
carry a stun gun

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
I ride in a park a lot and it's amazing how stupid some people can be on bikes - you'd think they should actually need a bike license just to cycle.

They do anything from - stop smack in the middle of the path with the bike ACROSS, swerve suddenly into your path leaving you to veer sharply away, ride in the opposite direction, take up the whole lane and still don't ride in a straight line, ride like they're the only ones in the park such that it doesn't matter if they do anything stupid because 'no one else is around' and well, a whole f**k worse at times.

And some cyclists (well, I say this just because they are on road bikes and 'look' like they ride a fair bit) are just plain a*holes/snobs - they look at you, stare even, and you nod or wave, and they look at you in a condescending way - I'm so tempted to say "Great manners a*hole" but oh well, I reserve my flipping off for drivers.

·
the fist
13,711 Posts
uzziefly said:
I ride in a park a lot and it's amazing how stupid some people can be on bikes - you'd think they should actually need a bike license just to cycle.

They do anything from - stop smack in the middle of the path with the bike ACROSS, swerve suddenly into your path leaving you to veer sharply away, ride in the opposite direction, take up the whole lane and still don't ride in a straight line, ride like they're the only ones in the park such that it doesn't matter if they do anything stupid because 'no one else is around' and well, a whole f**k worse at times.

And some cyclists (well, I say this just because they are on road bikes and 'look' like they ride a fair bit) are just plain a*holes/snobs - they look at you, stare even, and you nod or wave, and they look at you in a condescending way - I'm so tempted to say "Great manners a*hole" but oh well, I reserve my flipping off for drivers.
Aw heck, if i knew that was you, i would've waved.

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
There was some guy on the MUT the other day doing trials tricks in the middle of the trail. I'd like to say he was completely oblivious to all the foot and bike traffic he was impeding, but he knew exactly what he was doing. I wanted to stab him in the liver, and then stomp on his wheels.

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
JohnHenry said:
Aw heck, if i knew that was you, i would've waved.
I'd check your saddle before you ride your BMC next. :eek:

//Seriously, they look at you like they're checking you out, then ok, you acknowledge them, but they stare at you and also snub you. Of course, I still sucker on and keep nodding now and again to others. :p

///I always wave at good drivers who give me space etc though.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Glad both are ok. Moments of stoopidity can be very dangerous.
I have my share as well and the MUT filled with kids brrrr....

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
did you get your chocolate in his peanut butter? did you two fall in love?
jj.

glad all is ok. i find that when there is a wreck, i get quiet. but its mostly so i dont go off. a switch gets thron where i make sure everything is ok with the other person, make sure my bike is fine, check out their bike (or car), give a veiled comment, and head off.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
Sojourneyman said:
he was fine too. The [email protected] thing to do would've been to throw a shoulder and maybe knock him down and me stay upright. I'll keep this in mind for next time.
Save yourself first. I inadvertently intersected with a couple of riders from a local club (the Look-How-Seriously-We-Take-Ourselves Riding Association, I think) the other day. A bunch of the wannabes around here play a little game where they silently overtake other riders and brush shoulders as they pass. Since I was lazing along in a T-shirt and MB shorts, I assume they thought I was fair game, an old geezer doing his weekly two miles.
Just before they reached me, I thought I heard tires and looked over my left shoulder. I veered a few inches when I did, and it was just enough that the first rider, just off my rear wheel and going a lot faster than I was, made solid impact with my shoulder. My heavy-duty 64cm Atlantis and I weigh about 270 between us, and we sent that spindly little pr!ck and his wisp of carbon fiber sprawling.
I hate to see anybody fall, and I'd feel bad about the wobbling if I hadn't seen these same two guys brushing past other riders three or four times before (I live near the turnaround of a popular 25-mile loop from Reno, and all the riders in northern Nevada come by my house on weekends).

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
tomk96 said:
carry a stun gun
:nono: Nope! No good. A taser has much more range. :nono:

·
Registered
596 Posts
I hit a guy head-on on a popular mtb trail here a couple years ago where a dip leads to both ways going downhill for a few yards. Since it wasn't really either of our fault (although people usually ride up the road and down the trail like I did, instead of up the trail like he was doing), it was kind of funny, although my hot front brake rotor branded my calf pretty good. Fortunately we both were able to almost stop completely, so there wasn't much of a collision, and there were soft bushes on the down-hill side of the trail keeping me from tumbling 500 ft down to my death. Good times.

·
Registered
596 Posts
This happened to me yesterday, too (except for the crash)

Cory said:
Just before they reached me, I thought I heard tires and looked over my left shoulder. I veered a few inches when I did, and it was just enough that the first rider, just off my rear wheel and going a lot faster than I was, made solid impact with my shoulder. My heavy-duty 64cm Atlantis and I weigh about 270 between us, and we sent that spindly little pr!ck and his wisp of carbon fiber sprawling.
I passed a couple of guys on my way home from work yesterday; they were in full gear (one even had RBR shorts on) while I had on my baggies on my way to my son's baseball game (I'm not confident enough to hang out in the park in my tighties not on my bike!). About a mile later on a gentle downhill, my turn was coming up so I signaled left and was about to move left. I noticed out of the corner of my eye that they had caught up to me and one was right on my wheel, overlapping in fact. If I had moved suddently to turn, I would have taken them/me out! I don't know how I didn't hear them. I don't mind if someone wants to use my draft -- I make plenty, to be sure -- but I wish they would have said something first.

·
OUTLAW BIKER
463 Posts
Lucky, sometimes a little contact can cause a world of hurt.

·
Banned
3,060 Posts
In the off road world riders descending have the right of way over those climbing. But on a city street, when the rider is on the wrong side of the street... it's survival mode.

I'm glad you'll be okay.

·
Registered
13 Posts
are you serious.

TWB8s said:
In the off road world riders descending have the right of way over those climbing. But on a city street, when the rider is on the wrong side of the street... it's survival mode.

I'm glad you'll be okay.

I'm not sure what a "off road world rider" is but if you ride a bike on single track that is not your private land maybe you should read this.

4. Yield to Others

Do your utmost to let your fellow trail users know you're coming -- a friendly greeting or bell ring are good methods. Try to anticipate other trail users as you ride around corners. Bicyclists should yield to all other trail users, unless the trail is clearly signed for bike-only travel. Bicyclists traveling downhill should yield to ones headed uphill, unless the trail is clearly signed for one-way or downhill-only traffic. Strive to make each pass a safe and courteous one.

and here is the link to the site.
http://www.imba.com/about/trail_rules.html

now you know. now you should yield to bikes riding uphill.

And to the OP. Glad to hear you are alright!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts