Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Just wanted to let everyone know that I picked up my new 59cm Lemond Poprad Disc yesterday afternoon. Now that some household chores are done, I am taking it on its first real ride as soon as I am done posting this message.

I had the LBS swap in a Chris King headset, treat the frame with J.P. Weigle's Framesaver, and replace the Bontrager meats with some Specialized Armadillos for my Washington D.C. commute. I've got a pair of stainless steel Eggbeaters on order.

The disc brakes have very little stopping power right now, and there is a real bad shudder in the front brake. I took a close look and the discs had oil on them. I wiped down the discs with alcohol so they are nice and shiny. I'll give the discs a few more cleanings as I use the bike. Hopefully, the cleaning and wearing them in will make the brakes work better, otherwise I'll have the LBS relace the disc pads and discs, if necessary.

BTW, I am about 220lbs, 6'1", 34" bike inseam, and a 16x36 dress shirt. I took it for a short ride at the LBS, and the bike seems to fit me just about perfect, and it handles really well. I had ridden a 57cm and a 59cm Poprad, both with canti's before ordering the disc version, and so the good fit comes as no surprise.

I'll be using the new Poprad for commuting in the Washington, D.C. are, and I justed wanted to thank you CX guys for the helpful comments while I hunted for a bike.

FYI, I posted a similar message on the Commuter Forum.

--Mudslinger

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
I beleive that the pads will be shot if any oil gets on them. The mechanical discs are great and will haul my 200+ lbs down to a stop - nothing else I have tried will with a brifter. - TF

·
Registered
293 Posts
I'm in the D.C. area as well; which shop did you find the disc model? Were you happy with the service? And do you plan on taking the steed off-road also? Thanks and congrats...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
FYI,

I just posted some photos of my new Poprad in the commuting forum.

I got the bike from the largest bike shop in Alexandria, VA (Spokes, Etc.), and I was very happy with the service. Ask for Steve because he seems to be the most clued-in on getting new bikes.

·
Registered
293 Posts
mudslinger said:
FYI,

I just posted some photos of my new Poprad in the commuting forum.

I got the bike from the largest bike shop in Alexandria, VA (Spokes, Etc.), and I was very happy with the service. Ask for Steve because he seems to be the most clued-in on getting new bikes.
Thanks, and best of luck with your new bike!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts