Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was entertained, but really it was preaching to the choir. Actually I thought Maher was nicer to some of the nuts he interviewed than I was expecting him to be--Anyone else see it?

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,036 Posts
Yeah, saw it when it was out. I remember thinking he was less heavy-handed than I expected, until his closing monologue.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DrRoebuck said:
Yeah, saw it when it was out. I remember thinking he was less heavy-handed than I expected, until his closing monologue.
The Jesus dude in the theme park was actually smarter than I thought he'd be. The thought about how water can be 3 different things was a pretty cool analogy to the trinity--even though it still makes no sense when you really analyze it.

·
tofurkey hunting
4,733 Posts
we saw it in the theatre...mostly b/c the jesus theme park is in o'town and i find it fascinating. the exit off of the interstate has a sign that has two destinations listed, with arrows in the opposite directions. the names are "holy land experience" and "mall at millenia" ..i laugh every time. oh, and the guy that ran the ministry to "cure" people of being gay is right around the corner from my house :rolleyes:

yay fla :rolleyes:

·
Does it matter?
751 Posts
I saw it. I thought it was frightening in an eye opening way and funny at the same time. yes it was funny the way he poked fun in sometimes subtle ways and had the clips from other movies brought in (Blazing Saddles, Scar Face). But some of the religious thoughts and ideas that were brought to my attention, was, well down right scary. I personally have zero use for religion, but if it helps people get through the day then OK sure use it that way, but THINK people, jeez.

Don't believe everything you read and half of what you see, and remember that only fools and fanatics are "sure" of anything.

·
Registered
11,615 Posts
I differ in many views from Maher. He picked really kooky people to make his point (the media usually does) but I really like the guy. I've only seen clips but am looking forward to seeing the whole thing.

I like his wit and cutting humor, and despite face value, I think he's actually pretty amiable, rational thinking and likeable guy.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OldEndicottHiway said:
I differ in many views from Maher. He picked really kooky people to make his point (the media usually does) but I really like the guy. I've only seen clips but am looking forward to seeing the whole thing.

I like his wit and cutting humor, and despite face value, I think he's actually pretty amiable, rational thinking and likeable guy.
I suppose it would be a really boring movie if all the people they interviewed weren't on the fringes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts