Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I've been lurking a bit here for a few weeks.

My story in short: 37 years old, and VERY VERY out of shape and overweight... after several years of jogging during the spring and summer, and then always being discouraged at how much cardio I'd lose during the winter months, I decided to take up cycling again this year to get back into shape, instead of murdering my knees.

Anyhow... this year I've been riding a much-too-small for me older Cannondale Crit. series (51cm)... an uncomfortable harsh bike that I purchased a long time ago when I simply didn't know what I was doing. The bikes gearing is also somewhat brutal on hills for someone in my shape, or lack thereof.

I've been doing 10-16 mile loops several times a week, and slowly finding my "legs" so to speak.... and had been shopping for a new one.

Today after lengthy discussions w/ the LBS, and several test rides of various sizes, rode a 58cm Roubaix Elite triple home... it was basically a tossup between this and an Allez comp that they shop would have switched to a triple chainring front, but I couldn't justify the extra dough....and the Roubaix just felt a lot more relaxed.

I do have to go back in for a more thorough fitting this week, and the details will be sorted then. I'm still very hesitant about a full carbon bike at my weight, but the shop was adamant that I would have no problems, and the lbs have been coming off rather nicely in the past few weeks anyhow.

Anyhow, what a ride difference so far!

· Registered
2,274 Posts
Congrats on the purchase and good luck with the weight reduction. I have the opposite problem with the weather. I can ride 12 months a year although the summers are a bit rough in the desert. It sounds as if you are in a cold climate. If so you should join a gym or get a trainer for winter use like one of these:

bike trainers

My brother lives in RI and his weight yo-yos from summer to winter quite a bit. Many here ride in much colder weather than I ever would so you could just get more clothing too.

· Registered
3,245 Posts
I started just like you a couple of years ago. Just keep riding and the weight will come down and you will get where you can ride much longer. You can't go wrong with the Roubaix. The triple will be handy while you are getting more fit. I love mine but don't need it near as much as I use to. The full carbon model will cause no problems. The wheels that come with it may be another thing. Depending on your weight, those low spoke count wheels can be hard to keep true. You may be able to find a group ride that will be a no drop ride but will also have a bunch that is slightly faster that you. Trying to keep up with them will help you improve.

· Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the words guys.....

I've only put about 20 miles on the bike so far, the jury is still out on it... I love the way it rides, but at the same time I sort of don't really trust that it will hold up. maybe its just in the back of my head... to the point that I'm hesitant to stand up and pedal hard on it at all.

I can feel the slight give in the frame vs. aluminum, and I do know its inherent.. maybe thats whats bothering me, and I just need to get used to it.

Tonights ride was real good though, at the end of my normal route, I felt like I could have gone much farther.

· You're Not the Boss of Me
7,749 Posts
Right on! You'll have fun and get fit. You'd also be surprised how cool temps (even below freezing) are fine to ride in if the roads are dry and you are wearing the right clothes. Otherwise, substitute anything (even walking) to keep it going during winter, A used spinner bike, a trainer, a treadmill, a gym membership. Whatever works! You've got another 50 years to enjoy... enjoy it active!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.