Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Don't want to rain on your parade, but their cranks show either a lack of basic understanding or wanton disregard for fundamental mechanical/structural engineering. Maybe their brakes are better?

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
While I have been a major skeptic of Ciamillo stuff, iirc the last thead was seemingly roasting cL for being excited about the crank and sharing one of the few samples out.

The brakes are nice hardware. Always liked their aesthetic, been tempted when I see a craigslist deal on them, but majority of reviews left an unpleasant impression (usually the finicky setup and maintenance).

One listing wasn't hiding the reasoning to why they were selling theirs and was looking to trade for 7800 brakes that I ironically just acquired at the time. That kinda was icing for me, but I'm sure the brakes actually work. They're just not for everyone.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I appreciate that. The overwhelming amount of armchair engineers in last times thread made me happy it was closed by moderators.

I agree, the brakes do require a greater skill set, to set-up.

Thankfully the version I have now come with proper instructions.

There really is no mystery, the entire set-up boils down to proper cable housing length. Too much and it pushes one way, too little and it pulls one way.

Additionally, people are all ready to bust out the cone wrench and start scratching up the anodized finish when they need only breakout the torx #5 and feather the centering bolt.... again, instructions and beyond basic mechanical know-how (common sense) is all it takes.

Design wise this GSL is the same brake as the standard GSL, only with a few gram weight reduction (through use of all black alloy hardware, as opposed to steel parts).

My relationship with Ciamillo components has always been positive. Ted is an innovator and is always looking to perfect his products (hence the wild designs and consistent updates).

People may have a hard time setting up a product but I challenge anyone to say they reached out to Ted for assistance and did not (eventually) receive a resolve. Understand it is a much smaller business then that of the big 3 and sometimes the response may be delayed up to a week.

Still, the products Ciamillo produce excite me and remind me why I originally felt compelled to upgrade a part here, a part there when I got into cycling and keep me interested beyond just trying to win a race every now and then. Plus, in a sea of Shimano, Campy and SRAM parts, it's nice to sometimes stand out with something a little more custom.

I enjoy building up bikes as much as I do riding them. Its like a model car you actually get to drive in the end, for me anyway.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
I'm dissapointed, figured you would have the Gravitas SL versions. :)
They look cool, vinyl logo?

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm dissapointed, figured you would have the Gravitas SL versions. :)
They look cool, vinyl logo?
Heh, uuuuuum, no, I have about 20 sets of them on hand. They were made for me by Ciamillo and are not a sticker. I have the Gravitas SL's on all my bikes right now but, lets just say there are a lot of new things down the pipeline from both Ciamillo and carbonLORD so stay tuned.

A picture from the first plate Ciamillo made that didn't pass his inspection.

View attachment 281825

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Interesting, I didn't realize you are having them re-badged for resale.
Euro import venture?

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sort of yes. I'm trying to bring several smaller US based companies to offer a carbonLORD version (basically all black) version for distribution out of my Amsterdam location. I have 2 other companies I'm trying to pick up and we'll see where it takes me.

Cheers!

·
Los Barriles, BCS, Mexico
1,461 Posts
FWIW, I've purchased a number of items from carbonLORD over the years. I have received good service, excellent products and personal attention when needed.

I have no affiliation with carbonLORD other than as a satisfied customer who would recommend cL to anyone that asks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.