Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old set of 8 speed Athena shifters on one of my kids bikes (the only one I have convinced that Campy is better). Some idiot (me) used a derailleur wire that had a larger head on it, and it was stuck in the shifter. After an hour of swearing and (almost) throwing it away, I decided to take the shifter apart so I could work on getting the cable out.

I had not done this before, but found the process to be pretty simple. I used the rebuild instructions on the Campy only site, and taking the shifter apart and putting it back together took all of 30 minutes. (the careful cutting of the cable and tapping out of the cable head with a small nail took a little longer).

Bottom line is it was far easier than I thought. I have always been sold on Campy, but this really ices it. Nice to know that when my shifters need maintenance I can pull them part, add new springs, and they will start working like new again.

· Registered
365 Posts
Thats cool that you rebuilt your shifters but FYI, the new shifters 9 and 10 speed are harder to work on. In 98/99 Campy added a second coil spring that goes on after the thumb button. So, you have to hold the thumb button in the correct spot while fighting the tension of its return spring, and then wind up the second big coil spring and engage the bushing it is attached to, to the central pivot.

The older style are a breeze compared to the newer ones, but now you have a start on the process by doing the 8 speed.

For removing stuck cable heads put the index gear in a vise and then find a sharp drill bit just slightly smaller than the cable head itself and go to town on it. Its usually pretty quick.

· Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<insert deflating noise here>

Oh, well. I knew there had to be a catch!

Still, I am anxiously awaiting working on my 10 speed levers. Just won't be for awhile as they have all of 1k on them right now.

· Registered
2,601 Posts
Not that hard.....after you positioned the thumb button you key in the coil retainer bushing with a big screw driver and fasten the back bolt lightly to keep things in place. Now apply the finger lever until it won't shift any further. It will ensure that the rear coil spring will be in the most relaxed position for insertion. Lightly unscrew the bolt so you can slip the center part of the coil in the 5 o'clock slot position of the coil retainer bushing. Fasten screw lightly and hook coil spring onto the g-spring carrier tab using short round nose pliers.

After you confirmed everything functions as it should, remove back bolt while you lightly press down on the coil spring in order to keep it in place (it usually even stays in place when you don't hold it). Last, place the large rear retention washer on the coil and fasten bolt. Done!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.