Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
My lord, could they make it any more difficult.

In anticipation of going to Reno at the end of June I started checking airline schedules tonight.

I think it would be easier to drive.

I checked American Airlines - Seattle to Reno.

Average travel time about 10 hours. The flights are being sent from Seattle to LAX then back to Reno, or how about Seattle to DFW, then back to Reno (wave at RW as you fly over - twice), if neither of those flight options seem attractive - how about Seattle to Detroit, Detroit to DFW and DFW to Reno - that one is about 14 hours travel time. You leave Seattle on Thursday and get to Reno sometime on Sunday afternoon.

Well choosing to fly to Sacramento make it easier, although the onscreen menus still pop up lots of stupid routings like Seattle to LAX to Las Vegas to Reno, if this was all about racking up travel points it would be great.

After cruising through American, United and Air Canada ( who wanted to send me from Kelowna to Calgary to Denver to Las Vegas and then to Reno) I finally check the Horizon / Alaska website ->

Kelowna to Seattle -> 1 hour.
lay over in Seattle -> 1 hour
Seattle to Sacramento -> 1 1/2 hours.

I can leave at breakfast and be in Sacramento for lunch - without ever having set foot in DFW or Denver or even Detroit.

Then it's just a drive up the road.

So - do they deliberately hire untrained monkeys to plan the flight routes?

G

·
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The Walrus said:
There's always Amtrak....
Hah - I still have to get to Seattle!!

J$sus H.!

I just checked the Amtrak website.

Seattle to Sacramento is listed at 20h 15 minutes!!!!???

How is that possible - 20 hours??? Then it's a bus from Sacramento to Reno - 3 1/2 hours.

Plus $300 clams each way - not counting the super deluxe coach trip through the mountains - that's extra.

·
Registered
51 Posts
no yield..

toomanybikes said:
My lord, could they make it any more difficult.

In anticipation of going to Reno at the end of June I started checking airline schedules tonight.

I think it would be easier to drive.

I checked American Airlines - Seattle to Reno.

Average travel time about 10 hours. The flights are being sent from Seattle to LAX then back to Reno, or how about Seattle to DFW, then back to Reno (wave at RW as you fly over - twice), if neither of those flight options seem attractive - how about Seattle to Detroit, Detroit to DFW and DFW to Reno - that one is about 14 hours travel time. You leave Seattle on Thursday and get to Reno sometime on Sunday afternoon.

Well choosing to fly to Sacramento make it easier, although the onscreen menus still pop up lots of stupid routings like Seattle to LAX to Las Vegas to Reno, if this was all about racking up travel points it would be great.

After cruising through American, United and Air Canada ( who wanted to send me from Kelowna to Calgary to Denver to Las Vegas and then to Reno) I finally check the Horizon / Alaska website ->

Kelowna to Seattle -> 1 hour.
lay over in Seattle -> 1 hour
Seattle to Sacramento -> 1 1/2 hours.

I can leave at breakfast and be in Sacramento for lunch - without ever having set foot in DFW or Denver or even Detroit.

Then it's just a drive up the road.

So - do they deliberately hire untrained monkeys to plan the flight routes?
there's no profit in flying to reno, as it's mainly a leisure destination with a high percentage of people using frequent flyer miles. Hence....few choices.

regards,
-Scott

·
Coco Puff
2,119 Posts
LactateIntolerant said:
It looks like they've got 4 non-stops daily.
Living in Reno, Southwest is our main carrier here. They fly us all over, cheap and fast. I fly to Portland and Seattle, two hours tops.

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, Never thought of Southwest.

Horizon to Seattle is twice the cost of the Southwest return trip - go figure!

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Alaska Air, Seattle to Reno, 212.00 with around a two hour or less flight. Southwest is direct also. Good luck.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
WTF? I fly in and out of Reno all the time...

Actually I haven't done it in a couple of months, but my wife does. Except for coming back from Hawaii (leave at 10:40 p.m., get to Reno at 10-something a.m.) and once from Ottawa (a 13-hour slice o' hell, but at least you get to spend two hours in Newark) it's never been particularly bad...jeez, have they screwed this up, too?
Southwest is the answer, I concur. We went to Seattle in June in less than two hours, I think, no problems going or coming back.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
$300 each way? That can't be right--last time I checked, coach from L.A. to Albuquerque was about $99, and that's about the same distance. ...and if that is right, then you might just as well drive.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts