Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A woman carrying a (about 1 yr old) baby with her left hand/arm on her left side, and steering her bike with her right arm on a cement sidewalk and then crossed the street. No helmets. Had she come my way I definitely would have said something. As it was she was too far away and then headed away from me. Just unbelievable how stupid some people really are :eek:ut:

·
25yr Houston-Austin MS150
214 Posts
I just got back from my own ride. Had to click on your post to make sure you weren't talking about me. I've tried to help people like this--gave a helmet to the Goodwill employee I see riding a busy street a few times a week. He doesn't wear it.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
IMO .. way worse carrying a BABY on her left side and steering the bike with one hand on cement .. AND no helmets!

·
Cranky Old Bastard
2,337 Posts
IMO .. way worse carrying a BABY on her left side and steering the bike with one hand on cement .. AND no helmets!
Here in NE Ohio there are a lot of poor folk that use bikes as their only transportation. I especially notice them in the winter when it is below freezing and they're riding through the snow.

They don't wear helmets or cycling clothes and it really bothers me that sometimes they're impossible to see at night because they're wearing all dark clothing and have no lights or reflectors.

There was a cyclist hit by a car at 3am on Jan 1st of this year. The cyclist was drunk, the roads were covered with snow and the paper reported that he had lost his DL to multiple DUIs.

I would help these people by buying them a helmet or vest but would they wear them? Some might sell the items for a few bucks.

It is infuriating that a young mother would put her baby at risk like that but what can you do?
If I was driving and had the rack on my car I might have stopped to give her a ride but how could she trust me to even get in the car?

No easy solution.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Was once at the Lake Awosting beach, Lake Minnewaska State Park in upstate NY. It takes a mt. bike ride of about 6 miles or so, the last 1/2 over rock, when along comes a couple on bikes, Mom in front, infant in cuddle carrier against her chest, crap on overloaded rack on back, including a cooler. Dad following with slightly older infant in rear rack baby carrier, plus beach chairs and backpack. No helmets. No brains to protect either.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
We live sheltered lives here in the good ol' USA. Check out cycling (and mopeds and scooters) in some third world countries and Southeast Asia. Way way scarier.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here in NE Ohio there are a lot of poor folk that use bikes as their only transportation. I especially notice them in the winter when it is below freezing and they're riding through the snow.

They don't wear helmets or cycling clothes and it really bothers me that sometimes they're impossible to see at night because they're wearing all dark clothing and have no lights or reflectors.

There was a cyclist hit by a car at 3am on Jan 1st of this year. The cyclist was drunk, the roads were covered with snow and the paper reported that he had lost his DL to multiple DUIs.

I would help these people by buying them a helmet or vest but would they wear them? Some might sell the items for a few bucks.

It is infuriating that a young mother would put her baby at risk like that but what can you do?
If I was driving and had the rack on my car I might have stopped to give her a ride but how could she trust me to even get in the car?

No easy solution.
This wasn't a case of *need* or lack of money for the young mother .. not by the way she was dressed and later passed my house with the baby in a stroller. No .. she just didn't THINK that she could have so easily dropped her child possibly causing him permanent injury.

·
User is infamous around
2,738 Posts
We live sheltered lives here in the good ol' USA. Check out cycling (and mopeds and scooters) in some third world countries and Southeast Asia. Way way scarier.

Yes, that's when you see headlines like "Cycling Accident In New Delhi, 14 Dead 9 In Critical Condition". You read the story and there was only one bike and no motor vehicles involved at all.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Was once at the Lake Awosting beach, Lake Minnewaska State Park in upstate NY. It takes a mt. bike ride of about 6 miles or so, the last 1/2 over rock, when along comes a couple on bikes, Mom in front, infant in cuddle carrier against her chest, crap on overloaded rack on back, including a cooler. Dad following with slightly older infant in rear rack baby carrier, plus beach chairs and backpack. No helmets. No brains to protect either.
While I wouldn't do it, it is more of a fire road ride, than an mountain bike ride. Again, I wouldn't do it, but it's not like they were ripping up the singletrack. Which come to think, I do, do. With helmeted rug rats of course.

·
Registered
8,252 Posts
I once saw a guy riding through midtown manhattan during rush hour in the snow, at night, no lights, black clothing, going the wrong way on a one-way major avenue, on a cell phone, riding with no hands, going through a red light.

Blew my mind.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I think helmets are pretty much a non issue here. If they go down a helmet is likely to provide little protection and actually could make things much worse by inducing rotational injury in the baby.

Considerably more dangerous than no helmets is carrying the baby instead of having the baby in a proper seat (safest would be mounted to the top tube behind the handlebars) and riding on a sidewalk. Fix those two elements and you've eliminated about 99% of the risk.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.