Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cannondale question? Is it possible to put newer rims on a R300 given the fact I can't spread the rear stay. And any idea which make would work looking for a more of an upgrade. THANK YOU .

·
Registered
21,544 Posts
Rim swap

Bones1 said:
Cannondale question? Is it possible to put newer rims on a R300 given the fact I can't spread the rear stay. And any idea which make would work looking for a more of an upgrade.
Rims can be swapped by despoking the wheel and rebuilding it with new rims. I suspect however that you were actually asking if newer WHEELS could be installed in your frame. To answer that question, we'd need to know what year your current frame is. If you tried to install 8-9-10 speed wheels and they wouldn't fit, then you are probably out of luck.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
More speculative answers here. :p

If the problem is that your R300 is spaced 126mm, you need to build a new rear wheel. My mechanic and I looked through QBP the other day for a halfway-decent rear wheel for my 126mm-spaced commuter, and there's only really trashy wheels. There are some perfectly good 126mm hubs still available, though, and whatever rim you want/will be compatible with your brakes can be laced on.

If it's 130mm and you have 7+ speeds, any new wheel is fine. If it's fewer than 7 speeds, you probably need to build a wheel on a 130mm threaded hub, or you could use this as an excuse to upgrade your drivetrain too.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,421 Posts
R300?
circa 1986 boneshaker?

Either live with 7 speed, or buy a newer frame.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts