Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I’m new to the forum but not biking. I was primarily a mountain biker but as I've got older I enjoy road biking much more. I’ve got a nice mnt bike that I spent a little money on and my mnt biking improved with the purchase of that bike. On the road I ride an early 90’s model Bianchi Eros. I’ve updated it with all Shimano 105 stuff including Mavic cpx 22 rims with 105 hubs. I love the fit and feel of this old Chromemoly steel bike and it’s different then what everyone else rides. Plus I’m fairly proficient on it. My dilemma is that I would like a new carbon fiber bike and think it would enhance my performance as did my nice mountain bike when I purchased it. Problem is I can’t afford a $2000 bike right now. I’m thinking of taking advantage of Nuevations wheel sell and purchasing a set of Nuevation M28 Aero3s to replace the Mavic cpx 22s. I’m a big guy at 225lbs and these wheels seem to get good reports. Do you think it would be worth the money spent for this change in wheels on the old Bianchi? Would I get a noticeable difference in performance on the old bike? Or should I just save my money towards a new bike?

·
Adventure Seeker
5,123 Posts
if you are happy with your setup currently, I would say save the money so you can get what you REALLY want. You'll spend less in the long run and you will be happier.

·
Registered
896 Posts
I disagree. this is my 3rd year racing a $1,200 Giant equiped with 105. it consistently gets me top 10 in Cat 4. I have no plans to upgrade the bike, but I did buy new wheels this year. I decided I wanted Bontrager Aelous 4.0 wheels. retail they cost 2x of my entire bike cost. I bought them NIB on ebay for $1,500. I believe that a good set of wheels is the single thing that you can buy to make you go appreciably faster. of your bike is a complete POS, you might have other priorities. these wheels ill transition extremely well if decide to buy some high end bike. in the meantime, I enjoy the advantages every time I race.
one of the reasons i bought these wheels was an article on Pez cycling about 1) their rolling speed 2) their strength. I crashed in a crit a few weeks ago an tore a lengthwise cut in my rear tire. that much lateral force would easily have taco'd my stock wheels. the Bontrager's had no damage at all. amazing!

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
well....new wheels might be nice , but a new bike would work also.. New wheels won't make you faster, just make your bike ride a little better...I have some low count wheels on my new bike and I worry about breaking another spoke. I have Mavic OP 32's on my old bike. I would not think about replacing them, accept with a Mavic Open Sport or something along that line. I don't know anything about Neuvation wheels, other than he is pretty good about replacing them ( which is a plus).

From my own experience (which I'm not really good at following) you would probably do better at finding a reputable wheelbuilder and having a set of wheels made for you. You have to take into consideration your body weight and the types of roads you ride. A good set of wheels will last a long time. The rear rim will eventually need to be replaced. Consider Ultrgra hubs and Mavic or Velocity rims.

This might be kicked into the wheels/tires forum...

·
Beetpull DeLite
12,768 Posts
If you get them and like them, you can always move them to a new bike later on. Plus it's always nice to have a backup set of wheels - I wish I'd had a backup set this weekend, I hate borrowing stuff.

Personally, I was looking at Neuvations, Rols and the like but am getting a custom set made with exactly what I want...White Industry hubs and Velocity Aeroheads. But if it were a budgetary thing I wouldn't mind either of those brands.

Most Neuvation reviews are good, and John's quick and helpful in his email responses. But do what you'd like to make yourself happy.

·
Registered
219 Posts
jeffbarbar said:
I’m a big guy at 225lbs and these wheels seem to get good reports. Do you think it would be worth the money spent for this change in wheels on the old Bianchi? Would I get a noticeable difference in performance on the old bike? Or should I just save my money towards a new bike?
slacker. we need your part in stimulating this economy.
any other needed upgrades?

·
Registered
8,252 Posts
I've got many hours on a set of Neuvation M28 Aero 3's and I love them.

I'm a bigger rider (currently low 190's weight wise, but was 225 when I purchased the wheels) who puts out a lot of power and have found nothing wrong with them. I've used them in flat road races, climbing road races, Time Trials (before I got my TT wheels) and many, many fast training rides and they have performed exceptionally well. They might even see a little cyclocross action this fall.

The wheels are stiff laterally, but have a fairly comfortable ride given the low spoke count. The wheel bearings are great and spin really, really well without the ceramic upgrade. Over about 1500 miles the wheels are as true today as when I first received them.

For the money they are hard to beat for a wheel upgrade.

Now that I've lost some weight, I'd love to get my hands on a set of R28 Aero 3's...for a slightly lighter wheel-set when I do my climbing routes and hilly races....but a lack of funds keeps me from purchasing them.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,520 Posts
From what I sense of where and who you are, the wheels you have sound terrific. The Neuvations are fine wheels by all accounts, but they won't make you faster in any way you'd notice, they will not ride better, and they certainly won't be more durable.

You are a grown man riding a bicycle for fun. In that context, 'justification' has no meaning. If you want it, get it and enjoy it. That's pretty much the point here.

Me? I'd fetish over bars, saddle, and tape long before I'd pull a nutty over (cheap) wheels. But that's me.

·
Failboat Captian
6,559 Posts
I'm both a MTBer and Roadie. The truth is that the perfomance difference between an $800 road bike and $2500 road bike is negligable. I put new Rol Volant wheels on my Klein roadie because the cheap Shimo hubs were pretty trashed, but the fancy wheels with bladed spokes and more aero rims, while definitely stiffer (more harsh ride) have made an approximate average speed difference of zero miles per hour. They are pretty though. The difference between a $800 MTB and $2500 MTB is night and day, because you are buying better quality components such as brakes, shifters that get muddy, smoother shocks, etc. On a road bike, it's 1 lb and a lot of bling. The only thing that would be noticed is going to 105 or Ultegra level (don't know what that would be with campy) shifters and derailleurs, which are ever-so-slightly smoother.

·
dropped!
485 Posts
superflychief said:
Would you put Ferrari wheels on a 20 yr old Pinto? There is your answer.

the neuvation's are hardly "ferrari wheels". go ahead and do it. no other "upgrade" to your bike can make you feel better about it like a new set of wheels can :) as a bonus, when you get your next bike, the wheels can come along for the ride.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
JohnnyTooBad said:
I'm both a MTBer and Roadie. The truth is that the perfomance difference between an $800 road bike and $2500 road bike is negligable. I put new Rol Volant wheels on my Klein roadie because the cheap Shimo hubs were pretty trashed, but the fancy wheels with bladed spokes and more aero rims, while definitely stiffer (more harsh ride) have made an approximate average speed difference of zero miles per hour. They are pretty though.
Oh, come on Johnny, nobody wants to hear the truth.:cryin:

Yes, new wheels will make you a lot faster. Don't listen to this guy! :D

·
Registered
8,252 Posts
yakky said:
get the forte titans. they can be had for 135 bucks (pair!) and are supposed to be the same thing.
Supposed to and are....are two totally different things. :blush2:

I've got a set of Neuvation M28 Aero's and they are not the same wheels as the Forte Titans. The rims, spokes and hubs are different, but some on this forum would like people to believe they are the same wheel.

Such is life I guess :idea:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.