Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
KéO Pedal recall!!

<table border="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr valign="top"><td align="left">FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
August 5, 2008
Release #08-354</td> <td align="right"> Firm's Recall Hotline: (866) 430-5665
CPSC Recall Hotline: (800) 638-2772
CPSC Media Contact: (301) 504-7908

</td> </tr> </tbody></table> Bicycle Pedals Recalled by Look Cycle; Pedals Can Break Causing Cyclists to Fall

WASHINGTON, D.C. - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, in cooperation with the firm named below, today announced a voluntary recall of the following consumer product. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed.

Name of Product: KéO Bicycle Pedals
Units: About 80,000 (40,000 pairs)
Distributor: Look Cycle USA, of San Jose, Calif.
Hazard: The steel axle inside the pedal can break, posing a fall hazard to cyclists.
Incidents/Injuries: Look Cycle has received 14 reports of incidents with broken pedals, including 7 injuries which resulted in scrapes, cuts, contusions, elbow pain, and a knee injury.

Description: The recalled bicycle pedals are black and were sold separately from bicycles. Pedal models include KéO Classic, KéO Sprint, KéO HM and KéO Carbon. The model name is printed in white on the side of the pedal. Date codes between January 2004 and December 2005 are included in this recall. The date code for the KéO Classic, Sprint and Carbon pedals is on a dial stamped onto the pedal. The date code for the KéO HM is on the bottom of the pedal, with the letters A through L corresponding to the month, and the numbers 4 and 5 indicating 2004 or 2005.
Sold at: Specialty bicycle retailers nationwide from January 2004 through July 2007 for between $100 and $500.

Manufactured in: France
Remedy: Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled bicycle pedals and return them to the place of purchase, or contact Look Cycle USA to arrange for shipping and free repair.

Consumer Contact: For additional information, contact Look Cycle USA toll-free at (866) 430-5665 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. PT Monday through Friday, visit the firm’s Web site at www.lookcycle-usa.com, or email the firm at [email protected]
KéO Classic, Spring and Carbon Pedals

KéO HM Pedal

[SIZE=-1]<script src="https://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/boiler.js" language="JavaScript"></script>
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]---[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=-1]Send the link for this page to a friend! The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission is charged with protecting the public from unreasonable risks of serious injury or death from more than 15,000 types of consumer products under the agency's jurisdiction. Deaths, injuries and property damage from consumer product incidents cost the nation more than $800 billion annually. The CPSC is committed to protecting consumers and families from products that pose a fire, electrical, chemical, or mechanical hazard. The CPSC's work to ensure the safety of consumer products - such as toys, cribs, power tools, cigarette lighters, and household chemicals - contributed significantly to the decline in the rate of deaths and injuries associated with consumer products over the past 30 years.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1] To report a dangerous product or a product-related injury, call CPSC's hotline at (800) 638-2772 or CPSC's teletypewriter at (800) 638-8270, or visit CPSC's web site at www.cpsc.gov/talk.html. To join a CPSC email subscription list, please go to https://www.cpsc.gov/cpsclist.aspx. Consumers can obtain this release and recall information at CPSC's Web site at www.cpsc.gov. [/SIZE]

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
BTW: Look USA does NOT have link on thier site...

Site updated!!! :D

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
I knew something like this was going to happen..........

This is why I stuck with my "Delta" pedals that last forever.
One of my bikes still has red PP76's on it.

Seriously, this could cost Look quite a bit.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
I suspect it will go beyond 2005 too. A friend I ride with cracked a Keo cro-mo spindle about 2 weeks ago and crashed while in the middle of a sprint and his pedals were either late '06 or early '07s. The Look rep who inspected them at out LBS said "These pedals have been crashed.... to which my friend responded "NO SH _ T". I just switched to Keos, but still have all my delta style pedals I took off the bikes. Maybe, I'll be changing again.

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,955 Posts
Yes! I win for buying Keo Carbon Ti!

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
chas said:
The dealer locator is updating with service centers as we speak. Sorry for the delay, but it should be up within an hour.

[email protected]
Thanks! I found one near me. I have 1-2 pedals that fall in this range. I have newer classics form 07 which I HOPE do not fail.

·
likes to eat donuts
893 Posts
Not cool

This is not very reassuring news considering that I've stomped out over 2500 miles on these pedals! I'm also NOT looking forward to the inconvenience of not being able to ride on them while the problem with the mis-engineered axles is being rectified. :mad:

You'd think that after 23 years Look would've figured out how to make a proper clipless pedal!

·
FNG
449 Posts
piano said:
This is not very reassuring news considering that I've stomped out over 2500 miles on these pedals! I'm also NOT looking forward to the inconvenience of not being able to ride on them while the problem with the mis-engineered axles is being rectified. :mad:

You'd think that after 23 years Look would've figured out how to make a proper clipless pedal!
Hi piano,piano,

I agree that this situation is far from ideal (understatement :) ), but I assure you we are doing everything we can to make this process as quick and painless as possible. This is a voluntary recall on pedals manufactured before January of 2006. Any pedals with date codes of January 2006 or later are not subject to this action.

LOOK Keo axles have always exceeded every applicable testing standard, however we have seen axle breakages under certain circumstances, so we contacted the CPSC to help us initiate this recall.

Here is a link with detailed instructions on identifying whether your pedals are affected by this, and where to go if they are: http://www.lookcycle-usa.com/keoupgrade/index.html

If you have any questions, feel free to post them here, or drop me a PM.

Best,
[email protected]

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
14 out of 40,000 hardly seems worth it. I would think that more than 14 pedals have failed from other manufactures.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I say good job to LOOK. Its not common in these days that a company takes initiative and does whats right. I have your pedals now and will continue to use them. Your actions show that you actually care about cyclists and not just the bottom line. That says alot about a business.

G

·
I checked mine and I am in the clear, hadn't had any of them long but you never know how long something has set on the shelf. Of course now that I know how to check I suppose I can make sure my Keo's are freshly minted.

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,955 Posts
MR_GRUMPY said:
14 out of 40,000 hardly seems worth it. I would think that more than 14 pedals have failed from other manufactures.
Quality control is different for every company as well as their factor of safety.

To say LOOK let say 35000 pedal go bad before a recall is ludicrous. Many companies, especially reputable ones, recall as soon as they get a couple defects.

The difference between 14 might seems bad to you, but in terms of say... baby child car seats, 1 is one too many to fail. Hence child seat recalls after 1 or 2 injuries.

Also take into account that if you're buying higher end LOOK pedals, like the sprints and carbons you're probably "abusing the stuff" in legal terms since racing, as every bike company defines it as "non-regular use/wear and tear"

To have them replace the pedals, even from race goers is nice enough of them. If you disagree, go buy your Nashbar or Generic Wellgo and see if they post on these forums telling you their pedals went bad.

·
Matnlely Dregaend
5,051 Posts
The fact that they have a recall is a good thing, it means they stand behind their product. Time did the same thing recently when they found their bearing caps could separate. Kudos to both companies.

·
Growing Older, Not Up
1,321 Posts
SANdave said:
Didn't Time have a spindle loosening issue earlier? There are also reports of the front "hook" part breaking off on the RXS too. :D
I almost made a snarky remark about my Time's yesterday but remembered the day I had to pedal home with one leg. :D

Big picture, no big deal. I sent them back to Time for the recall and they have been fine since and I bought a pair for my track bike. Sure there was some annoyance and a minor inconvenience but they fixed the issue as I'm sure Look is fixing this issue.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.