Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm trying to find out if anyone has tried out the K-Edge device on any Specialized frames yet...I'm considering it for the Roubaix Pro I recently purchased. It certainly looks like it'll fit OK and work fine, but it's new to me at this point. I've used N-Gear Jump Stop devices in the past (and really like them), but those require a mostly "circular" seat tube in order to set up and many newer frames have more unique shapes, especially near the BB area. So I'm canvassing here to hear of any experiences first hand with the K-Edge. I know that some Cervelos and Ridleys even require some additional hardware to permit the device to be mounted a bit forward of the seat tube...additional spacers and a longer bolt for the FD. Anyone have any experience or info about a Spec frame with this device? Thx for any input.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am running a K-Edge chain keeper on a 2009 tarmac pro with absolutely no problems. I
am using the standard mounting hardware too so there is no need to buy the additional mounting hardware developed for cevelos etc.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good info fidi...

Well, that's good to hear. I think it would certainly work pretty well based on what I've seen, so it's good that you confirm that. I have one coming and I tried to get the additional HF kit just in case I needed the extra length, but it may be backordered anyway. As I look at my frame, it appears as though the extra kit would NOT be necessary. Thx for confirming that also fidi. Many thanks for your input! Very helpful. NR

·
Registered
689 Posts
I honestly didn't even know such a device existed. So I made my own:

It would likely fit any bike with a 'braze-on' front mech, but pictured, it is fitted to my SL Pro. A product like the Deda Dog Fang wasn't going to work with the non-round down tube. The device does not touch the frame. The only contact point is the mounting bolt. CNC-machined 6061-T6 aluminum. M5x25 Allen bolt and washer. Weighs a little over 10g.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice job Dave...

Gotta say you did a great job with that device...You can (if you haven't already) go to www.acecosportgroup.com and look at the K-Edge. Too bad you didn't get it to the patent office...I'm totally impressed. Yours looks ab-fab! Now for the telling question...Have you ever dropped your chain with your catcher in place?

·
Registered
689 Posts
nealrab said:
Gotta say you did a great job with that device...You can (if you haven't already) go to www.acecosportgroup.com and look at the K-Edge. Too bad you didn't get it to the patent office...I'm totally impressed. Yours looks ab-fab! Now for the telling question...Have you ever dropped your chain with your catcher in place?
Never. In fact, I don't see how it could happen. It would be guided right back on.

It's kind of nice having a CNC mill and an awesome machinist available :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I got a K-Edge to put on my 2010 Tarmac Pro SL. It comes with 2 additional bolts, the longer of which fit my SRAM FD. You do not need the "hard to fit" kit. It works beautifully, although you shouldn't ever need it if your FD is adjusted correctly. It's nice to have the insurance though.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good verification Tim...

Your photo didn't come through, but the info is again a good confirmation for me. I ordered the K Edge and am awaiting its arrival. Good to hear the HFK would be extraneous with most Specialized frames. I thought as much, but good to hear from others that the placing of the FD is far forward enough to eliminate the need for the 30mm bolt and extra spacer in the HFK package. Looking forward to the assembly and placement...I too realize that it's probably an unnecessary accessory, but I use a chain catcher on all my rides now (mostly the N Gear Jump Stop). It's great knowing that it's virtually impossible to ever drop a chain again (unless it breaks maybe).

·
Premium Member
3,494 Posts
Since I don't have a CNC mill and the K-Edge is rather spendy, I'll probably get the new chain catcher from Rotor. It is better value at $25 and includes drillium!

G

·
$25 is sure a lot more reasonable price, glad to see some more options coming out, even if I did go the make my own route already

·
Registered
689 Posts
I wonder how Rotor avoided patent infringement? I don't see any significant improvement in the design that would allow them to bring that to market.

Has me thinking.....I could run 100's of these things (my version, pictured above) here for RBRers :idea:

·
rock n rolling resistance
851 Posts
dave2pvd said:
I wonder how Rotor avoided patent infringement? I don't see any significant improvement in the design that would allow them to bring that to market.

Has me thinking.....I could run 100's of these things (my version, pictured above) here for RBRers :idea:
I'd check some out if you can do better than Roto...

I wasn't going to pay K-Edge price. It's like bottle cages... I guess it's personal quirk... it just rubs be the wrong way to spend more than $20...

·
Registered
689 Posts
6was9 said:
I'd check some out if you can do better than Roto...

I wasn't going to pay K-Edge price. It's like bottle cages... I guess it's personal quirk... it just rubs be the wrong way to spend more than $20...
I've seen the Velonews article. Can't find the Rotor component anywhere for sale though....

I am doubting the $25 price. Unless they sell a helluva lot of them.

At that price, if I was to make 100 I might break even :(

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just saw them on rotor site...

They are now listed on the Rotor site as referenced in the Velonews article...I got my K Edge for $30, so I considered it "sort of" OK, although the N Gear Jump Stops were only $10 or so. The Rotor version is listed at 6 grams while the K Edge was 10 grams as I recall. The Rotor has all those holes running vertically, so as to shave the weight off. For all the weight fanatics, 4 gram savings!! I told you Dave, you shoulda patented yours! And really, these newer versions are designed for Cervelos, Ridleys and Specialized frames with unusual seat tube shapes and braze on FDs. Otherwise, the Jump Stop is clearly the way to go...functional AND cheap. I will now have a bunch of Jump Stops and 1 K Edge. So I guess that's my way of justifying the expense. And I feel mighty righteous for taking steps to save my frame, since it's impossible to prevent or predict the dreaded dropped chain event.

·
Registered
689 Posts
The Jump Stop is certainly priced very attractively. However, I do see it has the same disadvantage as the Deda Dog Fang: the chain can end up on top of the deflector. Not a good situation.

The Rotor, K-Edge and the prototype I have won't leave you with a chain sitting off to the side of your chain ring.

As for 6g vs 10g: doesn't matter one bit. What's 4g? 1/10 of a haircut? Meaningless difference.

Maybe I should patent mine as a chain tickler or something......hmmmmm.....

·
Registered
689 Posts
OK, so Rotor didn't quite manage to live up to their $25 promise. It's retailing for $30, plus shipping: link. Not a bad price really. I am impressed that they don't rip people off for shipping. $5 is quite reasonable.

So, if I sold mine at $20, plus $2 shipping, I wonder if anyone would be interested?

·
Registered
60 Posts
dave2pvd said:
OK, so Rotor didn't quite manage to live up to their $25 promise. It's retailing for $30, plus shipping: link. Not a bad price really. I am impressed that they don't rip people off for shipping. $5 is quite reasonable.

So, if I sold mine at $20, plus $2 shipping, I wonder if anyone would be interested?
I'd be interested....

·
Premium Member
3,494 Posts
dave2pvd said:
OK, so Rotor didn't quite manage to live up to their $25 promise. It's retailing for $30, plus shipping: ... So, if I sold mine at $20, plus $2 shipping, I wonder if anyone would be interested?
I'm probably going to get the Rotor one, but I'd be interested in alternatives. I'm not sure how anybody could defend a patent on this. Pro mechanics have been making these out of bent wire for some time for example.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You're on the right track Dave...

I think an $18-20 item plus $2-3 S/H would be a winner for most...I know I would've gone for it, no question. I was really hesitating to pay the $45 for the K-Edge, no matter what colors they produced. I searched a ton of sites before I found a $30 deal on it...The Ridley/Cervelo gang would probably love to get something like that for $20. I mean $45 for a chain watcher is a bit ridiculous...but so is an Assos 851 jacket for $370. Or a C'dale Super Six Team bike for $9k...I don't want to think about what I've spent on cycling gear though. It's also ridiculous. I was kinda kidding about the 4 grams...I just ate a Dove's dark chocolate piece which weighed more than 4 grams. I guess I'm a "quiet" rider who rides on mostly OK tarmac, because I'd have never even thought about a jumping chain bouncing on top of the chain stop. Obviously, I don't mtn bike or cyclocross...it's always been a great device for me and my style of riding (though I do ride on rougher chip seal roads, but I guess not that rough).

·
Registered
60 Posts
Well, I took the plunge and ordered one from Dave (the appropriately named "Chain Tickler")...I'll post a review after I've had a chance to try it out. At least this way I can claim bragging rights with having a custom chain catcher!

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.