Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Market pricing? How complicated it is has little to do with it. K-edge is a small company that makes a few very cleverly-designed and carefully-manufactured products in a small shop in Boise, Idaho. They charge what they think the market will bear. People seem to like the products, and the company makes a profit selling at these prices.

Shimano is a huge company that makes millions of derailleurs in big factories in various countries in Asia. They have a number of competitors. They charge prices that get them enough sales to make a profit, given their manufacturing costs. The fact that a derailleur is mechanically more complicated than a K-Edge chain catcher is almost totally irrelevant.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thx for your mostly useless comment! I have a lot of other costs (besides my bike) to consider including this one item and was just trying to understand what would make this cost so much more than other more useful and necessary items like derailleurs.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
thx for your mostly useless comment! I have a lot of other costs (besides my bike) to consider including this one item and was just trying to understand what would make this cost so much more than other more useful and necessary items like derailleurs.
All it takes is for the chain to unship and jamb between the frame and chainset under movement to realize its worth. That can bugger up the paint or the frame or, shux, lock things up bad enough to cause a crash.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
I have a lot of other costs (besides my bike) to consider including this one item . . . .
I think everybody understands that. If you feel you need a chain catcher of some kind (I think they're a good idea), and don't want to spend this much, there are many lower-priced alternatives, including Deda's "Dog Fang", which requires some care in setup to work as well as the K-edge, but can be found for 10 bucks or so.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
I'm pretty sure I paid no more than $30 for my K-Edge Pro chain catcher.
Is that the one that mounts to the derailleur braze-on? The one with the clamp is substantially more, usually.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just installed a lightly used K-Edge clamp-on chain catcher for $33 along with upgrade to 105 5800 Crank set (52/36) and FD-5700. So fare have seen some definite improvement in ave speed over normal 35-38 mi runs of 1MPH and 5-6 RPM compared to the FSA triple crank set (50/39/30). All for $132 parts and $52 install costs at my LBS. Very happy with the results.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,956 Posts
Is that the one that mounts to the derailleur braze-on? The one with the clamp is substantially more, usually.
The braze-on non-pro one has been $20USD and Prime on Amazon of late. Snagged one for my unpavement Di2 build (needed some help due to 46/30 gearing with road ders). Stupid easy add-on with a Shimano SM-AD67L FD collar.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,423 Posts
Just installed a lightly used K-Edge clamp-on chain catcher for $33 along with upgrade to 105 5800 Crank set (52/36) and FD-5700. So fare have seen some definite improvement in ave speed over normal 35-38 mi runs of 1MPH and 5-6 RPM compared to the FSA triple crank set (50/39/30). All for $132 parts and $52 install costs at my LBS. Very happy with the results.

I am guessing the improvement in your average speed is due to your riding more now that the weather is better and therefore being in better shape, not any of the parts replacements.

Now, if you splurge and buy the new 5800 shifters and derailleurs, you won't need that chain catcher anymore. Shimano pretty much solved that one in their latest generation!

·
Registered
20,756 Posts
Just installed a lightly used K-Edge clamp-on chain catcher for $33 along with upgrade to 105 5800 Crank set (52/36) and FD-5700. So fare have seen some definite improvement in ave speed over normal 35-38 mi runs of 1MPH and 5-6 RPM compared to the FSA triple crank set (50/39/30).
I doubt any of those components had anything to do with a speed increase per se.
Most likely, you're using gears now that you should've been before but didn't bother shifting your triple FD enough.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,423 Posts
I doubt any of those components had anything to do with a speed increase per se.
Most likely, you're using gears now that you should've been before but didn't bother shifting your triple FD enough.
Then again, if he is dropping his chain less with the new components, that could increase his average speed. :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts