Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got suckered into buying a brand new pair of Ksyrium Elites about 10 months ago. At first I was in heaven, as they are much nicer than the Zero wheels that came with my bike....stiff, roll forever, and look great! I was told by a mechanic, and read several places on this forum of 240 lb riders describing these wheels as "bombproof". I've had them re-trued 3 TIMES since I bought them.

I weigh 190 lbs, and am very kind to my equipment. I'm not a hammerhead, and I am very mindful of what I'm riding over/through. I can't understand why I can't seem to keep these wheels true!

Has anyone one else had this experience with K-elites?

Is it normal for quasi "high end" wheels to need so much attention on a regular basis?

Any ideas for a wheelset that truly is "bombproof", but is relatively light and looks good, and will go the distance?

Thanks for letting me rant..... :)

·
Registered
491 Posts
not good

Those wheels should not need that much truing, maybe the build up was bad but something is definilty off. Those wheels are very stout and should easily handle your weight and riding style. Maybe having a good mechanic completely re-tension the wheel might be a start, or if it continues I would contact mavic, because your still inside one year they may be able to do something for you. However what you are describing is not normal, i work at a shop and have seen many of those wheels go out the door and never seen a problem like that. Hope you can find a solution cause they are nice wheels, I used them for a cyclocross bike a couple years ago and was very happy.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
rant away, my friend. there is nothing worse than getting a sweet pair of wheels and having problems with them. it's like buying a new pair of shoes that feel great in the store, then rip up your feet when you go for your first run. that said, i rode a set of k elites 3-4 days per week for about two years and never had to true them. my front wheel was even hit by a car that turned left in front of me and the wheel just took it and smiled. so maybe you got a bad set of wheels. call mavic usa.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I agree with the above posts. Something isn't right. I've got over 8K miles on my set, including two bad crashes (one of which cracked my frame), and haven't had to true the wheels once.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The k-elites are

on their way to mavic, as we speak. I found an understanding mechanic who was willing to go to bat for me, even though I didn't purchase the wheels from his store!!

I guess there are still good people out there.

Thanks for all your responses, and I'll update the board as to mavic's further response when I get word.

Here's to wheels that will HOPEFULLY stay true from now on... :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
I know you are already on it, but that shop/ mechanic deserves a little something in return; case of beer, future business, word of mouth recommendation, etc.

Some may not think this is necessary, but IMO "a good guy" is someone who doesn't keep score but still knows how to keep the reciprocity equation in balance.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm already

on it! I got him a 12 pack of his favorite ale, and I will be doing the bulk of my business with them in the future. I'm bringing the ale in when I pick up the bike next week.

I told the store manager that his mechanic just scored a loyal customer with deep pockets. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts