Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
I heart team Zissou!
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I just say that I heart Boonen (no, not that way!). What a good-natured guy who knows how to pull out the corkers when he needs to (like today -- what a finish!)... I literally rubbed shoulders with the guy yesterday while hanging out in the Paris-Nice prologue starting area ... great relaxed early season ambiance. I'll post more pics when I get a chance and relate how I may have unwittingly led to D. Zabriskie's undoing with one monumental brain fart...

A+

Philippe

·
Banned
4,302 Posts
philippec said:
Can I just say that I heart Boonen (no, not that way!). What a good-natured guy who knows how to pull out the corkers when he needs to (like today -- what a finish!)... I literally rubbed shoulders with the guy yesterday while hanging out in the Paris-Nice prologue starting area ... great relaxed early season ambiance. I'll post more pics when I get a chance and relate how I may have unwittingly led to D. Zabriskie's undoing with one monumental brain fart...

A+

Philippe

He just looks the part doesn't he? In the K-B-K the other riders seemed like kids buzzing around him. I think this is Tom Terrific's best year to come. He's the great one of his generation.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
great for cycling

an absolute monster who loves the Classics (YEAH!!!!!!!) who can sprint or race 'classics style' can turn a pedal like nobobies business,seems genuinely likable and has matinee idol good looks. Maybe this will put more of the focus on the other months besides July. Best of all he's Flandrian. I'm thinking Tom is gonna break the rainbow curse.
M-S-R is going to be one of the best of late. My guess is they'll send Bettini to force Milram to chase (unless they send Zabel to follow Bettini - my prediction) gonna be a heck of a chess match.

·
Registered
12,061 Posts
atpjunkie said:
an absolute monster who loves the Classics (YEAH!!!!!!!) who can sprint or race 'classics style' can turn a pedal like nobobies business,seems genuinely likable and has matinee idol good looks. Maybe this will put more of the focus on the other months besides July. Best of all he's Flandrian. I'm thinking Tom is gonna break the rainbow curse.
M-S-R is going to be one of the best of late. My guess is they'll send Bettini to force Milram to chase (unless they send Zabel to follow Bettini - my prediction) gonna be a heck of a chess match.
ok what is required to "break the curse"? 10 victories? 100? four classic wins? Seems to me he has already broken the so-called curse. How much more can one rider win early march.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
yup so far so good.

but he's gotta shine in the Spring Classics.How cool would it be to see the rainbow Crossing the line at R-V-V or P-R. I wonder if they'll make him custom rainbow/green combos for the TdF.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I was watching Tom in the final sprints in TdQ. Pretty amazing. Now if only he could lose the mini-mullet.

atpjunkie said:
but he's gotta shine in the Spring Classics.How cool would it be to see the rainbow Crossing the line at R-V-V or P-R. I wonder if they'll make him custom rainbow/green combos for the TdF.

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
Chicks...

elviento said:
I was watching Tom in the final sprints in TdQ. Pretty amazing. Now if only he could lose the mini-mullet.
No, the chicks love the mini euro mullet paired with the euro faux hawk. I don't know why, but they do. So he should keep it.

Boonen has already figured in the 2 Spring races thus far (KBK and Het Volk), and I'm certain, barring any unforseen craziness (injuried and such), he'll be a factor in the big major spring classics, the monuments as it were. He'll come away with at least one big win this Spring, and possibly more if he stays on form.

The so-called "curse" should already be gone as he's won how many races so far this year? 4? 5? 6? I've lost track. Sure, not all major races, but still, some of the better guys were there. As I said in my other Boonen thread, there are a lot of pros who would give their right testicle to win even 5 or 6 races their entire career, let alone in one year already. He'll be a factor this year for sure.

·
Banned
4,302 Posts
atpjunkie said:

He did set the bar pretty high last year. What would be a single career-satisfying victory for normal riders is now kind of a let down for Boonen (maybe not in his own mind but with his cycle-crazed Belgian fans who think he's a god-incarnate). I think if Tom nets a classic, gets the Green jersey and is ranked top 3 this year then one can confirm him as "uncursed" and true living legend. But personally I think he'll do much better than that.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Boonen looked real strong today. He really didn't need his team mate to try to head butt whoever it was that tried to go by on the outside.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Not to take away from other world champions, I do feel he is among the most convincing world champions in recent years. The guy oozes with talent. I agree w/ you -- he will have a great year.

I'd love to see Ale-Jet head to head with Tom Ka-Boom.

magnolialover said:
No, the chicks love the mini euro mullet paired with the euro faux hawk. I don't know why, but they do. So he should keep it.

Boonen has already figured in the 2 Spring races thus far (KBK and Het Volk), and I'm certain, barring any unforseen craziness (injuried and such), he'll be a factor in the big major spring classics, the monuments as it were. He'll come away with at least one big win this Spring, and possibly more if he stays on form.

The so-called "curse" should already be gone as he's won how many races so far this year? 4? 5? 6? I've lost track. Sure, not all major races, but still, some of the better guys were there. As I said in my other Boonen thread, there are a lot of pros who would give their right testicle to win even 5 or 6 races their entire career, let alone in one year already. He'll be a factor this year for sure.

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
Already happened..

elviento said:
Not to take away from other world champions, I do feel he is among the most convincing world champions in recent years. The guy oozes with talent. I agree w/ you -- he will have a great year.

I'd love to see Ale-Jet head to head with Tom Ka-Boom.
They've already gone at it, and I think now it's 2-1 Ale-Jet, or maybe 1 all? I can't remember, but they have already gone at it a few times in the early season.

He does have lots of talent. Can win out of a break. Can win in a sprint. Can win solo. About the only thing he can't win are mountain stages and time trials. And since sprinters are the most prolific winners of bike races year in and year out, I think he'll be alright even if he just had to rely on his sprinting ability. But look at what he did in Flanders last year. He rode away, and nobody could follow. I'm excited for the Spring season to see what shakes loose. I think Boonen is going to be strong, but there are still others lurking around as always. Van Petegem, Vino, Pettachi, Hincapie, J. VDB, Hammond, Magnus, DiLuca, and names could keep on going. I think this Spring is going to be interesting, and fun to watch. Hell, we could conceivably have a different winner almost every weekend...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.