Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted back in January about being in Tokyo and getting measured for a Kalavinka by master builder Tanabe-san. He wasnot accepting any orders at the time due to the back log (5-6 months at the time) but I told him I was close by, happened to be visting on business and didn't care about the delivery time.

Today I got an email that the construction has started along with a few teaser pics. Needless to say, I'm jumping up and down!

Summer has come to Shanghai and it was over 100F on Sunday with a ton of humidity. I'm riding early in the AM to beat the heat but I'm recharged now. Will send more pics when available.

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,955 Posts
I can't recall ever seeing any bike with a shimano dropout.

I"m so jealous.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Probably 30 days

FTF and Dave- Kalavinka actually make a fair number of geared frames altlhough the majority of their book remains keirin frames. I would guess it will take 30 days or so before actual delivery. Needless to say, after being patient the last six months, I'm bouncing around a bit. In Hong Kong the next couple of days but will be back in Shanghai on Friday and will be burning it up on my Merckx Ti Ex thinking about the new frame.

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,955 Posts
Dude, it must be pretty awesome there with the Olympics huh?

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Olympics

Quite right. I got tix for the 18th at the Birds Nest, track and field finals. We're a big corporate sponsor and they're corporate tix. Ha ha, hospitality suite, etc. Just don't wanna spew on the chairman's shoes. Hotel room, get this, is $750 a night but hey, will probably be the only time I get there in my life unless I go to the games in London where I lived for 6 years. At least there I can probably bunk up with friends. Two tix so the missus goes as well.

As for Shimano drop outs, there are a fair number of Japanese builders, there's a surprise, who use them. My 3Rensho has them and Hickey's fleet of Japanese bikes no doubt has them as well. The vertical one's though, not often seen.

CleavesF said:
Dude, it must be pretty awesome there with the Olympics huh?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.