Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Juanmoretime
2,201 Posts
9.9, the only thing for me that would make it a ten would be down tube shifters. She's a beauty for sure. Congratulations!

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Probably at the lower end

Based on the Waterford site...same as the R14 basic.

tarwheel2 said:
Beautiful frame. How does the pricing compare to custom US builders such as Waterford?

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
I hear you

I rode tubs from the early 70's until 1999. I was living in London which for me, is the broken glass capital of the world (no mandatory recycling at the time) and went to clinchers as the cost was getting out of control.

When I moved again to Shanghai and now Singapore, I've stayed on clinchers. Unfortunately there's no clincher rim with a profile as low as standard tub rims. I do have a set of Ambrosio Excellence NOS lying around. Maybe I'll build them up but as you can tell, things happen slowly due mainly to work and a heavy travel schedule.

My tub rim stash and all my tub wheels are in storage so at this point, I'm not going to start it up again with tubs although Singapore is ideal for riding them everyday. I'll just posted a picture of my tub rim stash....unfortunately all in storage.
T0mi said:
Great build. I really like those chorus components with a classic look. I am rebuilding an old alan CX bike with current veloce 10sp shifters in silver.

What I don't like is your choice of wheels. Those open sup doesn't look good with this bike. I see you put veloflex clincher on them, I would have rather made a wheelset out of ambrosio/campagnolo/nisi/araya/mavic low profile tubular rims to match the classic look of the frame.

·
Roadcyclist
412 Posts
nice ride!

hey boneman,

nice Kalavinka! classy build with great combination of components. love the Dura Ace stem/seatpost. totally retro!

well...it's about time I pay a visit to Kalavinka one of these days :D

cheers and enjoy the ride :thumbsup:

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
awesome

would love to do the same with a track bike
get a handbuillt Japanese
really nice spec
want some of your GP4s

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
thanks mav

and yes, worth a visit to the shop, pretty easy....just take the train a couple of stops west from Naka-Meguro...

·
Roadcyclist
412 Posts
and the invitation is still open :)

give me a buzz if you ever drop by Tokyo.
let's go for a ride :)

will ride to Kalavinka one of these days on my 'retro' Merckx.

cheers and enjoy sunny Singapore :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
GP4's

I love the older ones, red label. The purple label is heavier although the braking surface, while not machined is flatter than the red label. Also have a pair of NOS Mavic SSC in 28 hole, deep blue. If I ever get back to my stash, I will be building them up.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
OUTSTANDING!!! What type of tubing is it made of? ECO stronglight? If so, I've never heard of it. Is it a pretty popular brand in Japan?

Anyways, I love the color! Where did you pick up the Chorus alloy bits? I have been searching high and low for Chorus or Record alloy parts but I've only been able to find Veloce or Daytona level parts.

Again, superb job!

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
ECO tubing

Thanks for the comments. The color is a Panasonic stock paint. The tubing is made and drawn in Japan. It's heat treated, double butted steel tubing. I have more information on the tubing at home but I'm in Seoul right now. It's not as popular as Kaisai or Tange but Tanabe-san the builder recommended it due to it's lighter weight.

It's all Chorus or Record, Some I've had new since 2002 and other parts I've been collecting that time. I have maybe six pairs of shifters, a couple of RD's, cranksets, etc. The RD is pretty hard to find but I've managed to get two NOS one's shortly after they stopped making them. I have not bought though since 2007 so I'm not sure how scarce/expensive the alloy parts have become.

Ride-Fly said:
OUTSTANDING!!! What type of tubing is it made of? ECO stronglight? If so, I've never heard of it. Is it a pretty popular brand in Japan?

Anyways, I love the color! Where did you pick up the Chorus alloy bits? I have been searching high and low for Chorus or Record alloy parts but I've only been able to find Veloce or Daytona level parts.

Again, superb job!

21 - 35 of 35 Posts