Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We made the trip to Kansas City last weekend after talking about it for years. Actually we talk about a lot of places, but there's only so much time... The two big highlights were lots of meat (not kod3) at Arthur Bryant's, Gates and Jack Stack BBQ and the Nelson Atkins Museum of Art.

A few years ago, Hallmark (of card fame) donated their legendary photo collection (not consisting of flowers and kittens, it's worthy of a museum in its own right) to the museum. Plus, the building itself is a work of art. It's also a who's who of painters and sculptors and the work is not roped off like most places. Pics from the museum - hopefully somewhat threadworthy even though they're not from the DSLR. On that first shot if I would have been just a little quicker...

·
scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
What...?

No pictures of food?

·
Pedal Master
2,511 Posts
You were in my town and didn't request a tour? I hope to GAWD you liked Bryant's and Gates better than that suburbbq Jack Stack crap geared to make wannabe urbanites feel gritty.

KC's bouncing back from 30 years of downtown decay...finally.

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No pix of meat - too busy inhaling it (still not 1< oD3). JS wasn't any better than we'd get around here outside of Chicago but the beans were awesome. Gates was next and I thought I was in heaven until we drove 1/2 mile down the street to Bryant's. OMGWTFBBQ! I'd be huuuuge if I lived in KC.

Our city is still trying to figure out what to do. I had an apartment downtown in the late 80's and there were a lot of people trying to revitalize it. It was fun but there wasn't much there. 20 years later there's still a lot of talk and feasibility studies but not much has changed. We tried our own version of the Power and Light District on a smaller scale (without the roof and without any bars/restaurants nearby, so not really) and it's used about four times a year due to the way it's managed. There's yet another new group trying to revitalize the area (headed by the former head of the local theater that folded) but I don't see any real results coming out of this. KC is so much farther ahead; like most capitol cities.

·
scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
um....

kykr13 said:
KC is so much farther ahead; like most capitol cities.
But Jefferson City is the capitol...

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,036 Posts
Very cool. Especially the third one.

But the food pictures fail overshadows everything.

I wonder if you can even bring a DSLR into a museum these days.

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
funknuggets said:
But Jefferson City is the capitol...
I are dum. Apparently our public schools aren't much to brag about either. :rolleyes: But we did spend the first night in Des Moines. We also stopped in Iowa City on the way back and drove by the old state capitol. And Alaska doesn't have a state capitol building, for the record.

I saw a couple of DSLR's while wandering around inside. The rules were no flash, no tripod and I've seen that at most museums - at least around here.

·
2 busy workin' 2 hang out
12,638 Posts
kykr13 said:
I are dum. Apparently our public schools aren't much to brag about either. :rolleyes: But we did spend the first night in Des Moines. We also stopped in Iowa City on the way back and drove by the old state capitol. And Alaska doesn't have a state capitol building, for the record.

I saw a couple of DSLR's while wandering around inside. The rules were no flash, no tripod and I've seen that at most museums - at least around here.
Iowa City, how I miss it. Des Moines, not so much.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts